• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rodents in the front trunk

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I had my truck for well over a year now, and I never had this issue before. I guess during the cold nap we have been having, they are looking for warm areas to seek shelter, and where better than the front truck.

I didn't notice the back of the battery panel at first, however I noticed a little nest with a mix of black sound insulation, nuts, and some of the white fabric bags that I keep in the trunk area. So I went to investigate and tried to find the hole in which these little rodents can get in.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rodents in the front trunk IMG_0803(1) (Large)

I am not sure on how to fix this. I just looked for something I can wedge in the handle slot and was quite dense. I needed to make sure it had a way to stay put since the handle faces down. So after looking in my garage, I found some pipe insulation. I know its not the best, but in the meantime, it hopefully helps with blocking that large "hole" into the front truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rodents in the front trunk IMG_0807 (Large)
Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I had my truck for well over a year now, and I never had this issue before. I guess during the cold nap we have been having, they are looking for warm areas to seek shelter, and where better than the front truck.

I didn't notice the back of the battery panel at first, however I noticed a little nest with a mix of black sound insulation, nuts, and some of the white fabric bags that I keep in the trunk area. So I went to investigate and tried to find the hole in which these little rodents can get in.

IMG_0803(1) (Large).jpg

I am not sure on how to fix this. I just looked for something I can wedge in the handle slot and was quite dense. I needed to make sure it had a way to stay put since the handle faces down. So after looking in my garage, I found some pipe insulation. I know its not the best, but in the meantime, it hopefully helps with blocking that large "hole" into the front truck.

IMG_0807 (Large).jpg
Well that's not good.....and until you posted this I didn't know that that handhold was an opening! I guess I never looked at it that closely. I'm going to get some mesh and rivet that to cover the opening so air can get in but rodents can't. I've had quite enough of rodents in the HVAC systems thanks to poor design of intake vents ( thin plastic grill they eat through) and I don't ever want to repeat that experience.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I like it and it looks promising, but we need a barrier vs just a deterrent.
Are you saying they get into the frunk first, then climb through the battery access panel slot to make a nest in the battery compartment? If so, how are the little %@*&#'s getting into the frunk? :unsure:

Sponsored

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
Also note, they can come in through the latch hole. I have some chew marks there where I left some food in the frunk on a camping trip.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you saying they get into the frunk first, then climb through the battery access panel slot to make a nest in the battery compartment? If so, how are the little %@*&#'s getting into the frunk? :unsure:
Nah they come through the bottom. Up to the battery then in the tub. Under the tub is completely open to the road

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Also note, they can come in through the latch hole. I have some chew marks there where I left some food in the frunk on a camping trip.
I was thinking the same, but I thought there wasn’t an opening. Oh well…

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
FYI, the little round brown balls are not nuts, it’s turds

In my experience rodents usually get in from above. They drop on the hood or roof from a tree, fence or shelf. Less likely a rodent climbs up suspension and in from below.

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
We just had $800 damage to our CRV, and another vehicle in the shop was getting several wire harnesses installed. These were wood rats who chewed the rubber bulb on the bottom of the garage door and were living a good life before I found them and their entrance.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
FYI, the little round brown balls are not nuts, it’s turds

In my experience rodents usually get in from above. They drop on the hood or roof from a tree, fence or shelf. Less likely a rodent climbs up suspension and in from below.
No, they were actually nut pieces. They were jagged like a nut, and were not round. Reminds me of a small walnut after you break it open. I don’t have any pictures, nor do I have any remnants left since it was really windy and took majority of the debris away.

Regardless, it’s something coming in that should not be coming in.

I think Ford thought of debris coming in by the piece of foam going from side to side of the handle area. However I don’t believe they thought of rodents eating their way though the foam, and making a mini nest.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

IMG_0803(1) (Large).jpg

IMG_0807 (Large).jpg
Best option, get outdoor cats. Mine sleeps in the undercarriage which keeps the rodents out.

Works well even if you’re not a cat person (I’m not)

They will easily chew through plastic, but if you’re intent on sealing it….

1) Put a piece of cardboard underneath the handle and mask it up with painters tape.

2) Flip it upside down and spray the back with foam insulation of your choice (Loctite, Great Stuff, don’t use big gap formula as you’ll want a bit more control.

3) Cut it up with a box cutter to make it look pretty.

3) If desired you can go around the edges with caulk but that’s overkill…

4) Remove cardboard and tape.

5) For more resistance you can add flashing on top of the foam or use a piece of flashing and caulk instead..

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Best option, get outdoor cats. Mine sleeps in the undercarriage which keeps the rodents out.

Works well even if you’re not a cat person (I’m not)

They will easily chew through plastic, but if you’re intent on sealing it….

1) Put a piece of cardboard underneath the handle and mask it up with painters tape.

2) Flip it upside down and spray the back with foam insulation of your choice (Loctite, Great Stuff, don’t use big gap formula as you’ll want a bit more control.

3) Cut it up with a box cutter to make it look pretty.

3) If desired you can go around the edges with caulk but that’s overkill…

4) Remove cardboard and tape.

5) For more resistance you can add flashing on top of the foam or use a piece of flashing and caulk instead..
That could work, and I was thinking the same. I just wonder if covering that hole will cause some pressure issue. I know its not sealed that well, but maybe the hole in the bottom (for the water), and the hole at the back work together "air out" that area.

MFT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Is it possible they entered through the drain hole in the well?
Sponsored