• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Last edited:

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
OK. NOW, this is finally getting good. The best OTA update yet. Kudos to @Ford Motor Company!

I received my 6.14.0 update last night after several hours of downloading with a well charged 12 volt battery. Today I dug into CarPlay and found 21 apps showing now, versus only a few the last time I checked.

Available apps now include CAR SCANNER and MY RADAR! I now have IN VEHICLE 12 VOLT SOC and live WEATHER RADAR!

I have only tried out these apps while parked. I don't yet know if they work while driving. I have attached photos showing the app icons in CarPlay and their displays on the touch-screen.

Car Scanner App.jpg
Car Scanner Display.jpg

My Radar App.jpg
My Radar Display.jpg
GETTING EVEN BETTER:

I have done some additional testing of Car Scanner and MyRadar. Both apps actively work in CarPlay while the truck is in motion.

I used MyRadar for monitoring weather with a moving current location indicator, while also using Apple Maps for turn-by-turn navigation. A nice combination. The MyRadar map does not zoom in enough for good viewing of street level graphics. I had MyRadar displayed while listening to turn-by-turn instructions without viewing Apple Maps. You could have a passenger (or driver when stopped) pull up Apple maps by touching the "8 dots" to the left of the time display at the bottom of the screen. This brings up the list of all CarPlay apps, and not just the active apps. Several screens may have to be scrolled across to get to the desired app. Thus, to drive safely, the driver should be stopped or have a passenger perform the scrolling.

With Car Scanner, I initially had to connect the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth device on my iPhone, since it would not connect from the Lightning touch screen. After connecting Car Scanner on the iPhone, I then connected it again in the Car Scanner app in CarPlay on the Lightning touch screen. I made a stop on my route with the truck turned off, and CarPlay did not automatically reconnect upon re-start. I had to turn off CarPlay on the iPhone and turn it back on to get CarPlay to reconnect and display on the truck touch screen. Car Scanner did automatically reconnect after CarPlay was re-activated.

I also drove for a while with truck speed and motor torque displayed in Car Scanner in CarPlay on the truck touch screen. Changes in display data were virtually instantaneous with no noticeable latency. I also displayed the 12 volt SOC screen for a while. I began the short trip (less than 10 miles with one stop and about 20 minutes of total run time) with 77% 12 volt SOC. The HVDC-LVDC converter was charging the 12 volt battery with 40 to 42 amps. When I completed the trip, 12 volt SOC was at 84%. I was surprised at the charging current level and the SOC increase with such a short trip. I also caught myself chuckling when I intuitively expected the charge rate to drop when I stopped at a red light. You don't need rev'd engine RPM to charge the 12 volt battery in these trucks.

Overall, I am very pleased with the improved functionality of CarPlay on the Lightning touch screen.

EDIT: REALLY GETTING GOOD NOW!

After completing the trip, I did some more testing with the truck parked to test "touchless" switching screen displays in CarPlay. I connected to Car Scanner in CarPlay on the Lightning touch screen. I selected the 12 volt SOC display for Car Scanner. I asked Siri to "display MyRadar", and the touch screen display switched to MyRadar. I then asked Siri to "display Apple Maps", and the display switched to Apple Maps. I then asked Siri to "display Car Scanner" and the display switched to the 12 volt SOC display.

Now, I am really impressed with the improved funtionality!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Reactions: GDN

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

duncanmclain

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Supreme Galactic Commander
While my Lighting was in the Body Shop for some Hail Damage PDR work, the 6.14 update installed.

As I was going through the truck today, I ran into the "bed camera" displaying a light blue background. All other cameras work just fine. I quick google search showed similar issues occuring when a software update had been deployed.

I'm trying to determine is it a software update issue, or did the shop when doing PDR work leave a camera disconnected.

ktn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning® LARIAT ER
GETTING EVEN BETTER:

I have done some additional testing of Car Scanner and MyRadar. Both apps actively work in CarPlay while the truck is in motion.

I used MyRadar for monitoring weather with a moving current location indicator, while also using Apple Maps for turn-by-turn navigation. A nice combination. The MyRadar map does not zoom in enough for good viewing of street level graphics. I had MyRadar displayed while listening to turn-by-turn instructions without viewing Apple Maps. You could have a passenger (or driver when stopped) pull up Apple maps by touching the "8 dots" to the left of the time display at the bottom of the screen. This brings up the list of all CarPlay apps, and not just the active apps. Several screens may have to be scrolled across to get to the desired app. Thus, to drive safely, the driver should be stopped or have a passenger perform the scrolling.

With Car Scanner, I initially had to connect the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth device on my iPhone, since it would not connect from the Lightning touch screen. After connecting Car Scanner on the iPhone, I then connected it again in the Car Scanner app in CarPlay on the Lightning touch screen. I made a stop on my route with the truck turned off, and CarPlay did not automatically reconnect upon re-start. I had to turn off CarPlay on the iPhone and turn it back on to get CarPlay to reconnect and display on the truck touch screen. Car Scanner did automatically reconnect after CarPlay was re-activated.

I also drove for a while with truck speed and motor torque displayed in Car Scanner in CarPlay on the truck touch screen. Changes in display data were virtually instantaneous with no noticeable latency. I also displayed the 12 volt SOC screen for a while. I began the short trip (less than 10 miles with one stop and about 20 minutes of total run time) with 77% 12 volt SOC. The HVDC-LVDC converter was charging the 12 volt battery with 40 to 42 amps. When I completed the trip, 12 volt SOC was at 84%. I was surprised at the charging current level and the SOC increase with such a short trip. I also caught myself chuckling when I intuitively expected the charge rate to drop when I stopped at a red light. You don't need rev'd engine RPM to charge the 12 volt battery in these trucks.

Overall, I am very pleased with the improved functionality of CarPlay on the Lightning touch screen.

EDIT: REALLY GETTING GOOD NOW!

After completing the trip, I did some more testing with the truck parked to test "touchless" switching screen displays in CarPlay. I connected to Car Scanner in CarPlay on the Lightning touch screen. I selected the 12 volt SOC display for Car Scanner. I asked Siri to "display MyRadar", and the touch screen display switched to MyRadar. I then asked Siri to "display Apple Maps", and the display switched to Apple Maps. I then asked Siri to "display Car Scanner" and the display switched to the 12 volt SOC display.

Now, I am really impressed with the improved funtionality!
This is why I won't buy a vehicle without CarPlay. Functionally can be added at any time to any vehicle no matter how old it is, if it runs CarPlay it gets all the new features, WITHOUT a cost. Plus it moves with me to any vehicle with CarPlay, like rentals without any extra setup.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Does this update come after 6.8 or are there other updates in between?

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
While my Lighting was in the Body Shop for some Hail Damage PDR work, the 6.14 update installed.

As I was going through the truck today, I ran into the "bed camera" displaying a light blue background. All other cameras work just fine. I quick google search showed similar issues occuring when a software update had been deployed.

I'm trying to determine is it a software update issue, or did the shop when doing PDR work leave a camera disconnected.
My bed camera is also just displaying a blue background, but I haven't had any work done around it. I assumed it was due to overheating, like a few other people reported. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet to have them look at it.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I haven't had any OTA's, but the dealer did push 6.1 for me. Maybe that did it?

Sponsored

Hugh_Bris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Extended Range
Ford F-150 Lightning Software Update 6.14.0 - Sync Update Ver 23306 Revision: 1076 IMG_3955

I love all the updates I am getting, but does anyone else think someone forgot to ‘unbold’ the new icons? Kind of looks cheap. Why don’t they match the same format as the time and temp on the top right?

ktn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning® LARIAT ER
IMG_3955.jpeg

I love all the updates I am getting, but does anyone else think someone forgot to ‘unbold’ the new icons? Kind of looks cheap. Why don’t they match the same format as the time and temp on the top right?
Yeah would be nice if there were all the same color at least so they look is consistent.