Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
There is already an app, it’s called FordPass. That website states it is showing all the charging locations that are on the Blue Oval network. Ford Charge is likely the chargers being installed at dealerships. And Tesla is coming onboard in Spring 2024 as previously announced. All the other brands shown (Francis, evGo, etc.) are available today via the FordPass app.
I suspect it actually is a rebrand of “the Blue Oval Network” likely at Tesla’s and Rivian’s request to allow us to use their networks in 2024. The Ford Charge is more germane name and less implying Tesla’s chargers are operated as part of a Ford owned network.
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
barely, V2 power split between the A/B Posts so you'll get around 62 KW if both vehicles are low state of charge., Like being at a Chargepoint CPE 2500
The worst part of EA isn’t the peak speed, it’s the unknown. I never know if I’m rolling up to be able to use the full power or if I’ll be itching while it’s creeping at 23kW.

At least on a V2, even if it’s power split I’ve got comfort in knowing worst case I get 60kW. After a little, I’ll likely get the full 150kW - people charging on split speeds rarely stay long and will grab enough to go next due to the abundance of chargers.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
On Plugshare I’ve noticed that as you zoom out it reduces the number of chargers visible so there are more than these screenshots show. There should be both a V2 and a V3 site on the NC Outer Banks and neither show up.
Ahh, but I filter out V2 stations as right now the info from Tesla and adapters vendors say V3 and V4 only. You are right on zoom I think, but I've set these 2 screen shots for certain charge minimal levels

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
The worst part of EA isn’t the peak speed, it’s the unknown. I never know if I’m rolling up to be able to use the full power or if I’ll be itching while it’s creeping at 23kW.
It’s only unknown if you don’t plan ahead. I always check on PlugShare to see which chargers are charging the best and I always post to PlugShare my charging results. PlugShare also lets filter to only your posts so I can read my old posts and always use the same charger if I find a good one.

Reactions: GDN

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I pulled up a few YouTube videos of Ford charging at Tesla Stations (that are properly fitted). It’s pretty slick how the J1772 adapter is built into the system.

However, the thing that stuck out more than that was the cost. I believe it was 51 cents per KWhr. on the video I watched. EA gives a great discount for that monthly fee- I’m wondering if Tesla will do the same?

Sponsored

Budshark

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I pulled up a few YouTube videos of Ford charging at Tesla Stations (that are properly fitted). It’s pretty slick how the J1772 adapter is built into the system.

However, the thing that stuck out more than that was the cost. I believe it was 51 cents per KWhr. on the video I watched. EA gives a great discount for that monthly fee- I’m wondering if Tesla will do the same?
Yes Tesla has that option. For example this is from the Marion, Il Magic Dock.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger access for Ford EVs estimated to begin February 2024 (by Tesla) IMG_5647

Budshark

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Daughter goes to Iowa State. We live in St Louis. It’s an EV charger wasteland in northern Missouri and most of Iowa. What is there is either 50kw or broken. I need Hannibal, Mo and Mt Pleasant, IA superchargers to open up for Ford and we can take the truck. Right now it’s an extra 90-120 mins on a 5 hr drive. Wife hates it. Had a Tesla and it barely added 20 mins to normal drive. Once I have those SCs available it should cut the charging penalty down to about 30-45 mins which is very doable and we can go back to taking an EV up to Ames.

On a side note after 2 years of voting, Tesla surprised with a SC in Ames in December. With Magic Dock. Which is great, but I can’t GET THERE! I need options between the 2 cities. 😂

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
It’s only unknown if you don’t plan ahead. I always check on PlugShare to see which chargers are charging the best and I always post to PlugShare my charging results. PlugShare also lets filter to only your posts so I can read my old posts and always use the same charger if I find a good one.
I use PlugShare plenty…and many times I’ve been the first to post. So I guess…you’re welcome?

Then there’s also the fact that sometimes you simply don’t have a choice. Going from FL to NY this summer there was nearly 100 mile stretch where every EA charger was creeping at 20-40kW. I will gladly take chargepoints 60kW over that nightmare again.

Unfortunately despite all that, EA is still the most abundant and the best of the worst options

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
It’s only a couple of weeks until February, why haven’t we heard anything yet? If the Superchargers open up in early February, no non-Teslas are going to be able to use them accept for the few brave people that ordered the A2Z adapter. If we don’t hear something real soon I’m going to start to believe that it’s going to be months before we get access if at all.

One nice thing came from all those Superchargers freezing up, it brought the hubris of Supercharger fans down a notch. Maybe Tesla got scared that if it can’t handle normal Supercharger traffic in cold weather it’s really going to get eggs on its face with the Superchargers opened up to non-Teslas.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
It’s only a couple of weeks until February, why haven’t we heard anything yet? If the Superchargers open up in early February, no non-Teslas are going to be able to use them accept for the few brave people that ordered the A2Z adapter. If we don’t hear something real soon I’m going to start to believe that it’s going to be months before we get access if at all.

One nice thing came from all those Superchargers freezing up, it brought the hubris of Supercharger fans down a notch. Maybe Tesla got scared that if it can’t handle normal Supercharger traffic in cold weather it’s really going to get eggs on its face with the Superchargers opened up to non-Teslas.
We just did. Jim Farley just said at the Lightning SwitchGear event that the network would open in the first quarter of this year. So sometime between now and the 1st of April.

So hang in there, but don’t get too excited.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Super soon. For real this time.
Sponsored