• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging

OP
OP

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I think we've convinced you to go the full monty and get a 48 amp hardwired EVSE for the garage and reserve the FMC for the sub-frunk when needed on long trips, great for in a pinch charging, that's what I've done with mine.
Still learning even at the bold age of 67. I think that makes the most sense. So, what is the best EVSE without breaking the bank? I see a bunch on Amazon, but I'm sure some of them are less than worth.
Sponsored

pullinggs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I have my 2024 Lariat on order as of today, and I'm trying to figure out the charging situation at my house. We have a gas clothes dryer, so the 30A 220/240 breaker and circuit are unused. My main service is on the outside wall of my garage, so it's easy peasy getting wires pulled through to a receptacle on the inside of the garage, disconnecting the dryer wiring from the breaker and connecting the new receptacle to the existing 30 amp dryer breaker.. My Lariat comes with the Ford Mobile charger so I had originally thought I could just use the dryer breaker and run the wiring into the garage wall to a receptacle, but now I'm reading that the Ford Mobile charger will only work properly with a 50 amp 220/240 circuit. I have 2 solar systems on my house and the main service has been downgraded twice, so I think what I now have is a maxed out main service box. I hear an upgrade would cost way more than I want to spend. Any suggestions? Do I need to get a non-Ford charger that can be adjusted for a 30 amp circuit?
You've had a lot of responses here, and some of them are very good. But I just wanna throw out there...

I had an Emporia EVSE (hardwired, adjustable rate of charge) installed on my wall, 60A breaker, 48A max charge rate. But I never seem to need to charge at 48 amps. It turns on at midnight at 24A and the truck is ready to go when I wake up.

Yes, if you've run your battery down really, really low then you'll need more than 8 hours @24A to get back to 100% state of charge (SOC). But most of us practically never do that.

Sounds like you've already committed to upgrading your circuit, and that is absolutely not a bad thing. But you could probably have exactly the same day-to-day experience with a 30A circuit and a fairly inexpensive EVSE at a lower rate of charge.

YMMV.

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
Be sure to check with your utility for special rates and discounts. Here in IL Comed offers rebates on EVSE and time of day rates for charging that can save money.

FYI

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I hope you upgraded the wire size. 30a is like 10ga, 40a 8ga and for 100a is #2 AWG and you might get away with #4 AWG if less then 50ft. If all you did is replace breakers you have a fire hazard.
Of course but the installation instructions for the Ford 80 amp charger make the installation easy. Not do the installation instructions list wire sizes, it lists terminal torque values. I wonder how many people doing self installations, or for that matter had contractor installations went to trouble of torquing down terminals.

Sponsored

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
I've had good luck with the Grizzl-e $400 on amazon
I have the same charger. It comes with a standard 3 year warrantee. You can order it with a 14-50 plug from amazon and then plug it into the 14-50R receptacle you are planning on using. The Grizzl-e charger will come set up to draw 40 amps, but you can select different amperage settings by changing the dip switch's inside on the circuit board. I recommend running 6 gauge COPPER wire for the 2 hots and neutral and an 8 gauge COPPER wire for the ground. You should also use a 50 amp breaker for this circuit as 60 amp breaker is to big. You will then be set to charge with either the Grizzl-e charger or the Ford mobile charger at your home, as they both have a 14-50 plug on them. You can also take the ford mobile charger with you when you are out of town.

Ford F-150 Lightning Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging IMG_20220406_2031445

Ford F-150 Lightning Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging IMG_20220331_1544304

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I have the Emporia. Works great.
Except, skip installing the flimsy holster bracket. Just loop the cord over the top to hang it. The enclosure actually seems to be designed for this.
Ford F-150 Lightning Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging 1727236044246-6m

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Still learning even at the bold age of 67. I think that makes the most sense. So, what is the best EVSE without breaking the bank? I see a bunch on Amazon, but I'm sure some of them are less than worth.
I would rank as follows:
1. Emporia
2. Chargepoint
3. Grizzl-E and maybe others.

If your utility offers any incentives, it could sway the rankings.

OP
OP

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
How about this Wolf hardwire charger? Anybody use one?
I would rank as follows:
1. Emporia
2. Chargepoint
3. Grizzl-E and maybe others.

If your utility offers any incentives, it could sway the rankings.
My Utility is PG&E and they do so it seems. But only if you purchase a used EV and are on a low income assistance program unfortunately. Considering the hardwired Emporia charger.

Last edited:

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Another happy user of an Emporia EVSE connected via NEMA 14-50 and limited to 40 amps, running from a 50 amp breaker. I hardly ever charge at more than 30 amps and often less.

Just occasionally I plug in a Mach-E and the EVSE doesn't begin charging immediately; I then open the Emporia app and tell it to begin, and it does. Only a couple of times a year has this happened, and the EVSE has been great otherwise.

I also have a $40-ish Emporia "Vue Utility Connect" device which monitors the whole home's usage by talking to the smart meter. This allows charging using only excess solar energy (taking only whatever you allow from the grid) if you're into that. Not required if you're not into that. The extra cost of this device is calling the utility once or twice a year to have them get the smart meter to talk to it, as the meter and Vue device just randomly quit communicating now and then.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I think we've convinced you to go the full monty and get a 48 amp hardwired EVSE for the garage and reserve the FMC for the sub-frunk when needed on long trips, great for in a pinch charging, that's what I've done with mine.
Incorrect! Everyone knows your towing stuff and tools goes in the sub-frunk while your charging equipment goes under the back seat.😉

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Hardwired is nice, I think there is a lot of Ford mobile charger hate that may not be everyone's experience. I started my EV journey on a 21 Mach-e and used the mobile charger on a 50 amp plug for 27k miles. The only issue I noted is it hangs down with the interchangeable plug that can slowly work loose which gives errors.
I'd use it without reservation.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Hardwiring your EVSE is the best way to go and t is required for a 60 amp setup. Charging at 48 amp (80% of 60 amp) should give you the best home charging experience you can expect.

When choosing an EVSE one thing to consider is Smart v Dumb. Smart chargers have apps and can set their own charging schedules. Dumb chargers don't have apps or schedules. Dumb chargers just plug into the truck and let the truck decide when to charge.

Sometimes having two Smart items (Truck & EVSE) in the same room can create conflicts.

ClipperCreek and Grizzle E are Dumb chargers. I have installed/used both brands and they are well made. Have not used a Emporia (Smart EVSE), but they are recommended by many and seem a good choice as well.

Tesla also makes a good wall charger including a model that works on both NACS and J1772.

For thorough reviews of EVSE look for State of Charge videos on Youtube; Tom does it best..... and he owns a Lightning !

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I would recommend the Grizzle-E.
Sponsored