• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Used my A2Z adapter for first time this weekend...I now understand why access to the Tesla Supercharger network was such a big deal. We primarily have EA and Tesla in Montana. Previously to this weekend I was using EA and my free credits. Never found them to be that challenging (always working and open). A couple times it took two tries to get the EA charger going but it eventually started. Both times I used the SC it started immediately. Add to it the EA chargers are $.56/kWh with Pass Pricing and SC is $.35 with membership pricing and I will never be visiting an EA charger again.

A2Z instructions say to attach adapters to charger and then plug to truck, but I found it much more effective to plug the adapter into truck and then the charger to the adapter. Any reason not to do this?
Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Used my A2Z adapter for first time this weekend...I now understand why access to the Tesla Supercharger network was such a big deal. We primarily have EA and Tesla in Montana. Previously to this weekend I was using EA and my free credits. Never found them to be that challenging (always working and open). A couple times it took two tries to get the EA charger going but it eventually started. Both times I used the SC it started immediately. Add to it the EA chargers are $.56/kWh with Pass Pricing and SC is $.35 with membership pricing and I will never be visiting an EA charger again.

A2Z instructions say to attach adapters to charger and then plug to truck, but I found it much more effective to plug the adapter into truck and then the charger to the adapter. Any reason not to do this?
Doesn't make sense for which order it's done in. Maybe they just put an order on there to avoid confusion.

It will be nice to have access to the best charging network out there until the other companies unscrew their heads and figure it out.

That being said, I took a trip to Maine this weekend. Chargepoint seems to figured out what Tesla got right. I noticed at one truck stop on I-95 there were 7 or 8 chargers there. On the far side of the Tesla chargers. Seems someone has finally figured it out.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Doesn't make sense for which order it's done in. Maybe they just put an order on there to avoid confusion.

It will be nice to have access to the best charging network out there until the other companies unscrew their heads and figure it out.

That being said, I took a trip to Maine this weekend. Chargepoint seems to figured out what Tesla got right. I noticed at one truck stop on I-95 there were 7 or 8 chargers there. On the far side of the Tesla chargers. Seems someone has finally figured it out.
Figured as much...getting a little body weight behind the charger handled helped lock it into adapter.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Figured as much...getting a little body weight behind the charger handled helped lock it into adapter.
The only thing I would add is that you want to make sure not putting too much stress on the trucks charge port. I don’t now exactly what that would be, but I can see where you might push hard enough to damage the mount.

Not criticizing, just saying be aware.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
The only thing I can think of is occasionally the adapter has a hard time locking in to place, and if you already have the adapter in the truck it might start initializing a charge session, but then break connection when it's not locked in right, which could cause some weird states with the software behind it all in the truck and at Tesla. Doing it to the cord first means you can ensure it's locked in place correctly before creating any sort of connection and initialization.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The only thing I can think of is occasionally the adapter has a hard time locking in to place, and if you already have the adapter in the truck it might start initializing a charge session, but then break connection when it's not locked in right, which could cause some weird states with the software behind it all in the truck and at Tesla. Doing it to the cord first means you can ensure it's locked in place correctly before creating any sort of connection and initialization.
My understanding is that the charge will fail to initiate if the lock is not fully in place. To get a little leverage I used the tire as a brace on my first attempt. I used it a second time this past weekend, was already easier to get fully seated and locked.

rg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I used my A2Z for a vacation trip. Hit up 3 different Tesla Superchargers and they worked flawlessly every time. Completely different experience from EVGo I've had in the past, which seems to operate more on prayer.

You can blame Musk until you're blue in the face about not getting your adapter on time, but his charging network completely changes the game for road tripping. That I don't have to worry if a charger is going to even work if I can even find it removes any anxiety about getting stranded.

I basically make a pit stop, start charging, and before the family is done eating the car is at 90%.

Just go buy an A2Z and be done with it. They're worth it.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
It seems odd that Rivian adapter are arriving pretty steadily the last couple weeks when Ford was first in.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ters-begin-arriving.27287/page-28#post-592414

It looks like Rivian owners initially got plain adapters but now are even receiving some with a Rivian Logo. They seem to be the same as the Ford adapters otherwise. Did Ford Piss off Tesla? How can Tesla find Thousands of Adapters for Rivian and barely make any for Ford? Did Rivian sign a better contract?

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
It seems odd that Rivian adapter are arriving pretty steadily the last couple weeks when Ford was first in.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ters-begin-arriving.27287/page-28#post-592414

It looks like Rivian owners initially got plain adapters but now are even receiving some with a Rivian Logo. They seem to be the same as the Ford adapters otherwise. Did Ford Piss off Tesla? How can Tesla find Thousands of Adapters for Rivian and barely make any for Ford? Did Rivian sign a better contract?
To be fair, Rivian needs far fewer adaptors. More MachE's on the road than Rivians.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
A couple times it took two tries to get the EA charger going but it eventually started. Both times I used the SC it started immediately. Add to it the EA chargers are $.56/kWh with Pass Pricing and SC is $.35 with membership pricing and I will never be visiting an EA charger again.

EA and Tesla pricing vary widely across states, and across the country. In some places, one is cheaper, in others, the other.

You want to attach the adapter to the charger first. This allows the charger to recognize the adapter. Same as the destination chargers, which you should wait 30 seconds or until the light turns blue or green (cannot remember which).

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
You want to attach the adapter to the charger first. This allows the charger to recognize the adapter.
I don't believe there are any smarts in these things at all. If there were, then the unsupported 3rd party adapters probably wouldn't work at all.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
EA and Tesla pricing vary widely across states, and across the country. In some places, one is cheaper, in others, the other.

You want to attach the adapter to the charger first. This allows the charger to recognize the adapter. Same as the destination chargers, which you should wait 30 seconds or until the light turns blue or green (cannot remember which).
The route I primarily drive is fairly limited when it comes to chargers...EA charges high rates because they are the only DCFC on the route besides Teslas. One EA charger I need charges $.56 and the other is $.64. Luckily, I ran out of my free charging when my A2Z arrived.

I'll make sure and attach the SC adapter first in the future. I haven't experienced any issues...yet...Thanks for the response.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I don't believe there are any smarts in these things at all. If there were, then the unsupported 3rd party adapters probably wouldn't work at all.
The charger knows that an adapter is present. Go plug a level 2 adapter into a destination charger and you will see.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The charger knows that an adapter is present. Go plug a level 2 adapter into a destination charger and you will see.
Yeah, I think the charger gets feedback from the latch in the handle. It knows when it’s plugged into something.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.