• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Vapor injection heat pump

Jake24

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 XLT Avalanche 9.6kW
Sure it's a nice to have, but what else would you give up to have it? How much extra would you pay?
Those are the relevant questions. And if range anxiety isn't a factor, then is it really worth it if you have to compromise to get it?
-$9k BEV rebates
-$5k delivery allowance
-$49k for my '23 Grand Cherokee
Paddleboard - dealer gift
BC Hydro pays half for the Mobile Charger
Sweet deal on an incredible truck...walked out with a no compromise smile. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
-$9k BEV rebates
-$5k delivery allowance
But if you bought a 23 you could have had those same incentives, probably more incentive as they're getting rid of old stock, 3 years of Blue Cruise, free charge station pro, and maybe more. So how much was the heat pump worth?

Jake24

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 XLT Avalanche 9.6kW
Then tell me why we have a heat pump installed that cost over $5,000.00 just for the heat pump and last winter during several cold spells where we were -21F or so and the gas furnace ran most of the time because the heat pump would not heat the house. Called the heat pump manufacture and they said they lose efficiency at these temps. We can quote all the stats we want, but real life shows the opposite. The tesla heat pumps could not keep up in the cold last winter. Just go to the Tesla forums and read all the complaints regarding the Tesla's with heat pumps and how cold the drivers were in the the cold weather. I had one of these and sold it because of this and bought the Ford without the heat pump.
Heat pump w/electric back-up & tankless hot water. 3 cold months @$200 per...no complaints.
F**k Tesla...overpriced & ugly.

Jake24

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 XLT Avalanche 9.6kW
But if you bought a 23 you could have had those same incentives, probably more incentive as they're getting rid of old stock, 3 years of Blue Cruise, free charge station pro, and maybe more. So how much was the heat pump worth?
I'm satisfied...forget a leftover '23.
Silverado 3WT woulda been a compromi$e. :sadface:

Last edited:

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Then tell me why we have a heat pump installed that cost over $5,000.00 just for the heat pump and last winter during several cold spells where we were -21F or so and the gas furnace ran most of the time because the heat pump would not heat the house.
To answer those questions, somebody would need to know things like:
  • How old is the heat pump?
  • What size did you get for $5k?
  • Is it properly sized for your home?
  • Who manufactured it?
  • What technology does it use?
  • What is the manufacturer's HSPF rating?
  • How long did the climate stay below 0ºF?

No doubt at -21º you're going to be using backup heat, but a properly sized current technology heat pump rated 10+ HSPF should be able to efficiently meet your needs at least down to 5ºF. With cheap natural gas availability, your heating contractor may have made a cost/benefit compromise on the heat pump.

Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Take a look at model 3 data with and without heat pump. That’s about as much info you'll get for the lightning until winter.
Not a fair comparison because it uses an octovalve which is a beautifully engineered stroke of genius that salvages heat from the battery and other equipment among doing other things in an optimal fashion.

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
To answer those questions, somebody would need to know things like:
  • How old is the heat pump?
  • What size did you get for $5k?
  • Is it properly sized for your home?
  • Who manufactured it?
  • What technology does it use?
  • What is the manufacturer's HSPF rating?
  • How long did the climate stay below 0ºF?

No doubt at -21º you're going to be using backup heat, but a properly sized current technology heat pump rated 10+ HSPF should be able to efficiently meet your needs at least down to 5ºF. With cheap natural gas availability, your heating contractor may have made a cost/benefit compromise on the heat pump.
My heating contractor did not pick out the heat pump. My son and I built multimillion homes on the coast until I retired so I do my homework and know what I am doing. It is brand new before last winter. I am not the only one with these issues, no matter what brand of HP and size.

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Also when I just had my nat gas furnace, I didn't need backup heat. In a new build having to install a HP plus a backup furnace just increases the cost and increases the time that the owner sees the payback and most folks just assume that all they need is the HP. This is the only point I was trying to make, maybe not in a very good way. My bad.

Sponsored

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
We had a cold snap a couple winters ago and heat pumps failed all across town. Burst pipes everywhere. An air to air unit is really only hitting 150% efficiency. Once you get below -20C they really struggle and the backup heat will have to kick in. I assume the 24’s unit will have a resistance wire heater backup built in. Expect about 30-40% energy savings on the heat pump down to -15C

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I assume the 24’s unit will have a resistance wire heater backup built in.
I'd like to see a schematic of the new system for 24's, it seems logical that the PTC's is kept if only for the battery conditioning needs, but the heat pump system could also warm the glycol loop heading into the battery.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
My heating contractor did not pick out the heat pump. My son and I built multimillion homes on the coast until I retired so I do my homework and know what I am doing. It is brand new before last winter. I am not the only one with these issues, no matter what brand of HP and size.
If you installed a cold-climate whole house heat pump for $5000, you're either a genius, or it is possible you may know somewhat less about heat pumps than you think.

We live on the shaded side of a ski mountain, well up the hill. When we put the heat pump in our house we kept the old electric baseboard - but we've never needed it. Our coldest night last year was -16F - two degrees colder than the Mitsubishi h2i is rated for - but it worked fine. Both the Tesla Model Y (2020, with heat pump) and the Lightning started up fine that morning and were comfortable and warm to drive.

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'd like to see a schematic of the new system for 24's, it seems logical that the PTC's is kept if only for the battery conditioning needs, but the heat pump system could also warm the glycol loop heading into the battery.
It makes sense that it would.

That’s going to be a pretty big unit. It’ll need to be 4x the capacity of just an air conditioner.

safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blackwing ct5
-$9k BEV rebates
-$5k delivery allowance
BC Hydro pays half for the Mobile Charger
Just yesterday dealer called and convinced me to swap my MY24LAR for a MY23PLAT
The bev for 23plat is 13.8k!!…..i was like…screw the pump lol
Sponsored