• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Warranty Thoughts

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
If you go with an extended warranty from Ford, it will start on the date your normal warranty started. I mention that because I bought a new, untitled 22 Lariat this year that had 3k miles on it. The warranty started last year, so my Granger bought extended warranty for 8 years is actually 7 since a year is already gone.
So your standard warranty started when the truck was delivered to the dealer and was placed into service as mannequin (I assume), and not when it was first sold?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Crullbri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Semi Retired, Part time Handyman
Yes, mine was 9/22. so i have just under 2 years left. I like the advise someone gave of waiting closer to the end of the factory warranty. I am submitting the paperwork now to get out of the one i signed up for originally. I have 30 days to get full refund. I am so disappointed in myself. Went in there wanting to pay cash, keep my old truck to give to soninlaw. I Leave with them keeping my truck, talking me into financing because it saves another $2k, i can pay it off early anytime, and they talked me into a warranty. so much for being in a hurry and wanting to get out of there. I hate dealing with buying cars. I guess that is why mine always have over 100k on them. Hope this one lasts. thanks for all your guys good advise.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The standard warranty and extended should be worded, "when the vehicle is X years old or X miles on the odometer".

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
So your standard warranty started when the truck was delivered to the dealer and was placed into service as mannequin (I assume), and not when it was first sold?
Exactly. Not a mannequin, but was used by the manager and as a loaner

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
I don't see the point. All of the EV components (battery, power converters, motors, controllers, etc.) are covered by the 8 yr / 100k mile factory warranty. Everything else is only the 3 yr. / 36k mile bumper to bumper, but that is all basically F150 standard parts. The infotainment screen would really be the only thing to worry about.
And the LED lighting.... light bar on the back of a Lariat is ~$3000 based on the cost to repair mine when it got rear-ended. Extra option on the ext warranty to cover them, though.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
And the LED lighting.... light bar on the back of a Lariat is ~$3000 based on the cost to repair mine when it got rear-ended. Extra option on the ext warranty to cover them, though.
It’s not much extra. It was a $75 adder before the last price increase.

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It’s not much extra. It was a $75 adder before the last price increase.
Correct. After seeing the repair costs it sealed the deal on adding an 8/100 with LED coverage from Granger to my Lariat

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Granger just announced their price this month for ford protect is only $20 over cost.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
No, the Lightbar is not $3,000.

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, the Lightbar is not $3,000.
Well, the insurance cost on the repair jumped from $4k to $7k when the light bar was added to the pay out.... I didn't go check the price list, but the math worked. lol Must have been some other things the body shop found that were included in the price jump.

Last edited:

Sponsored

beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning XLT SR 312A
I just bought a Used 2023 Lightning with 1000 miles on it. The dealership pushed buying an extended warranty pretty hard. I have owned it 2 days and am going to cancel it as it is outrages $. Almost $6000 for 10 year 100k miles. Do you guys think i need a warranty? If so, what company do you recommend? My understanding is factory is bumper to bumper 3yr 36000 miles, batteries 8 yrs. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Brian
yeah they screwed you over. I literally bought my lighting 3 days ago and told them if they couldn’t match granger ford warranty I would buy it online with them. Dealership matched it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, the insurance cost on the repair jumped from $4k to $7k when the light bar was added to the pay out.... I didn't go check the price list, but the math worked. lol Must have been some other things the body shop found that were included in the price jump.
I am just got the new lightbar, so later I can pull the price up from the part number on the paperwork.

Edit:

The parts are described in an attachment on the forum - https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...tning_safety_recall_23s30_bulletin-pdf.71389/

The lens and reflector are $541.98 list. Molding is $160.72. Needs 6 push pins at $8.33 each. Mine needed 4 rivets at $6.50 each. So it's under $800 for everything.

Last edited:

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The lens and reflector are $541.98 list. Molding is $160.72. Needs 6 push pins at $8.33 each. Mine needed 4 rivets at $6.50 each. So it's under $800 for everything.
Still not great, but definitely not as much as I thought from the repair. Still makes that $75 extra on the ext warr seem worth while. List price on the tail light assemblies is something like $1100 each if I researched the correct parts.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still not great, but definitely not as much as I thought from the repair. Still makes that $75 extra on the ext warr seem worth while. List price on the tail light assemblies is something like $1100 each if I researched the correct parts.
Yup.

Rthol21

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Director of Recruitment
Granger sells a FORD extended warranty. After you buy it from Granger, you never deal with them again. Ziegler, Flood, and other dealers also sell online.

$4k is probably twice the price if not more.
I was poking around and taking a look at the granger site for my 2022 platinum because to this point was under the impression that the ford warranty was good enough since it’s an EV but I do not see California as a state option through them. Wondering if anyone knows of another one?
Sponsored