Sponsored

Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks?

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
I noticed a location near me has Tesla superchargers “coming soon”. Do you think new ones will include the magic dock?
Sponsored

OP
OP
AmandaB

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
Does it really matter if you're charging at home?
When I say near me its actually a couple of hours away in a bigger city. I live in a rural area. Right now there is no DC Fast charger in that city unless you drive 20 mins north out of the way. Having access to a Supercharger there would be much more convenient when traveling there.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I noticed a location near me has Tesla superchargers “coming soon”. Do you think new ones will include the magic dock?
A certain percentage of superchargers will get the magic dock to get the federal money, but other than that, no. Ford, GM, etc. are all going to have adapters in the short run and will switch to the Tesla connector in the long run.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'm not sure of their strategy yet, but I've seen two SC locations go in after the magic dock was announced and both of these were just standard v3 chargers.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
A certain percentage of superchargers will get the magic dock to get the federal money, but other than that, no. Ford, GM, etc. are all going to have adapters in the short run and will switch to the Tesla connector in the long run.
^^^ this makes the most sense based on speculation.

But who knows how Elon will handle the huge influx of SC demand from other brands...

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
^^^ this makes the most sense based on speculation.

But who knows how Elon will handle the huge influx of SC demand from other brands...
I'm not sure where the uncertainty comes from. What I outlined is exactly what all of the involved companies have publicly committed to doing. It's not speculation.

Tesla will have magic docks on the minimum number of V4 superchargers to satisfy the federal grant requirements. Everyone else is transitioning to the Tesla connector. There will be adapters in the interim.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I'm not sure where the uncertainty comes from. What I outlined is exactly what all of the involved companies have publicly committed to doing. It's not speculation.

Tesla will have magic docks on the minimum number of V4 superchargers to satisfy the federal grant requirements. Everyone else is transitioning to the Tesla connector. There will be adapters in the interim.
You seemed to have taken my comment as negative.

In fact, it's positive and sounds the most plausible.

Do you have actual proof of your proposal will be true ?

So far, it's all been speculation.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You seemed to have taken my comment as negative.

In fact, it's positive and sounds the most plausible.

Do you have actual proof of your proposal will be true ?

So far, it's all been speculation.
No, I didn't take it as negative.

I'm not sure what proof you need since all the companies of interest have all publicly committed to the plan mentioned. You can google their press releases if you're interested.

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Only a certain % of Tesla Superchargers were going to get the Magic Dock option.
Now that Ford, GM, and others are going to adopt the NACS plug, I am going to guess it will slow down the roll out of Magic Dock locations.

PS I used a Magic Dock two days ago in New York State. The cord is too short for the Lightning. Even if you put your front bumper right up against the bollards. I did use it...but had to park sideways and block a couple of other chargers. Fortunately there were 12 chargers at that location and only 1 was in use (by a Tesla).

The best solution will be when you get your Tesla plug adaptor sometime in the spring. Then you will be able to use most Tesla locations.

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
The best solution will be when you get your Tesla plug adaptor sometime in the spring. Then you will be able to use most Tesla locations.
Unless the adapter is a 6 foot extension cord, it sounds like we're still going to have a problem with short cords?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Unless the adapter is a 6 foot extension cord, it sounds like we're still going to have a problem with short cords?
This has been a common concern and is likely valid until we get a lot of testing, the Tesla cables are short, but other than maybe blocking the opposite side of the charger than a Tesla would, our trucks should be able to get very close and reach in many cases. The key is that a lot of people driving trucks are going to have to learn to truly drive. Those of you that can drive don't have to get upset about that comment otherwise you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
As I understand it, the Magic Dock will be part of V4 supercharger locations. Current units that have them are V3 and the dock works with V3, obviously, but I don't think Tesla has plans for more than a handful of V3 installations to get them. Most of the supercharger installations that are in process of being built or have finished planning are all V3 without Magic Dock. I think that's also why there was the big push for NACS adoption and automaker partnerships. This was probably cheaper and better all-around for Tesla to partner up and help get adapters out there than it is to upgrade tons of already installed (or about to be installed) V3 chargers.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I highly doubt it will be any more than a very short block adapter. Introduction of any cord will introduce potential failure points that neither the charger or the vehicle can monitor or will know how to manage. It will probably look very close to the adapter block on the Magic Dock.
Ford F-150 Lightning Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks? 1689283579872

or
Ford F-150 Lightning Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks? 1689283636372
Sponsored