Sponsored

Wireless Charging Pad - Ford, you can do better

Albern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum; 2015 Chevrolet Volt
What fans??
Underneath the charge pad, there is at least 1 fan that automatically turns on whenever a charging session is initiated. The charge pad has small holes for the air to be pushed through along with square channels for airflow along the back surface of the phone.
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: GDN

Caniki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Limited
I just got an iPhone 16 Pro Max, and surprisingly, it stays put on the charging pad. The 15 Pro Max I had before it would constantly shift slightly enough to disconnect from the wireless charging.

I've never had an issue with wireless CarPlay, although I have noticed it takes longer to make its initial connection than it did a few months ago. I'm not sure if that's due to a recent update to my Lightning (at 6.8.0 now), or iOS 18, or just random sunspots or whatever.

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Avalanche Gray
Underneath the charge pad, there is at least 1 fan that automatically turns on whenever a charging session is initiated. The charge pad has small holes for the air to be pushed through along with square channels for airflow along the back surface of the phone.
I have a 24 Lariat. Never have heard a fan go off. I’ve looked at the pad and there is no fan underneath the rubber mat. Can we see photos of your fan? I think it’s only passive cooling.

ktom

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightening, model Y
Occupation
Self employed
Sadly as poor as Sync is at connecting to CarPlay etc, I don't even consider wireless charging an option in the truck. Plugging in gets faster charging and wired CarPlay has reduced my frustration with this system.

I had turned wireless CarPlay completely off and only used wired until a week ago. I upgraded the iPhone and when setting it up decided I would try wireless again. Reports were that it was improved after the 6.14 update back in August.

A week with the new phone and wireless and I'm once again done. Every time I get in the truck CarPlay pops up decently fast, but there is never any sound. I reboot Sync and all is good.

So I'm once again back to wired CarPlay and charging everytime I get in the truck.

There is maybe still some hope for wireless with the big Sync update Ford has been talking about. However, it is nothing more than rumor for now because it hasn't been released.
I have found that my Android auto, which works pretty good wirelessly, that occasionally the sound would stop playing after a song changes. (Ford pass people could care less about this behavior)

I used to reset the panel but I found that switching to the FM, then back to Android auto, the sound returns. The FM airways plays.

This might help your car play behavior.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

nodoubleg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘15 Jeep JKU, ‘89 E-250, ‘98 Dodge Ram 2500
I'd still like to delete my OEM charger from my '23 Lariat, and just gain back some extra space in that bin. I NEVER use the built-in phone charger. Just easier to plug my phone in than to futz with trying to get the phone lined up correctly.

Has anybody successfully deleted the OEM charger?

I imagine there might be some Forscan changes necessary if any other modules expect the charger to show up, but I think that'd be fairly straightforward.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'd still like to delete my OEM charger from my '23 Lariat, and just gain back some extra space in that bin. I NEVER use the built-in phone charger. Just easier to plug my phone in than to futz with trying to get the phone lined up correctly.

I imagine there might be some Forscan changes necessary if any other modules expect the charger to show up, but I think that'd be fairly straightforward.
The only think I know about the factory mobile charger is that is one of the modules that can not be update OTA. There was an update a year or so back for it, but it can only be done with FDRS plugged in.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Mine works fine.
Yeah I’d have to agree. Mine works just fine. My 16 charges fine every time I put it on. I will say it gets a little warm sometimes. But nothing out of the ordinary that I have seen or should I say felt. Lol.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver

Yeah you could get a bin from an xlt or lower trim that does not have the charger. Not sure if the lid would fit or not. And yes you could code out the charging pad with forscan.

nodoubleg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘15 Jeep JKU, ‘89 E-250, ‘98 Dodge Ram 2500
Yeah you could get a bin from an xlt or lower trim that does not have the charger. Not sure if the lid would fit or not. And yes you could code out the charging pad with forscan.
awesome. Wasn't sure if the XLT bin would fit with the larger 15" screen. Guess I have something to chat about with the parts department next time I'm near my dealership.

Not sure if I'd even need the lid either. I hardly ever close it.

I almost feel sorry for the team that developed that charger. It's a lot of effort and expense for something that can be outperformed by a ~$30 charging cord.

Anybody want to buy a bin and wireless charger from a '23 Lariat? :)
Sponsored