• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

XLT ER versus Lariat ER, searched for a list of differences to no avail....

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
I am between these two. The ER package and 9.6kw power package on the XLT adds a number of features like adaptive cruise control that are different in the "base" XLT and Lariat

What all am I missing:

Lariat
-- 3 years Blue Cruise
-- Leather seats
-- Fancier tailgate (a negative to me, as this truck will get heavy real work use) The "swedges" I promise will get damaged. They look like a step to a farmer.
-- Parking assist
-- Power folding mirrors (I couldn't care less)
-- color coordinate exterior stuff like handles, skull caps (also couldn't care less)

XLT
????

For me and my family, the single feature we would actually pay money for on the Lariat is the leather seats. Dealer says Katzskins are like $1400 installed. When I option out both trims (9.6kw power and tow package) they come out $5455 different. So $4000 for Blue Cruise and a bunch of stuff I don't want.

Help me understand the error in my thinking! Or tell me I am correct!
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

harlano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fiesta ST, 2023 Lighning XLT ER,2024 Maverick
Occupation
1/2 retired
I believe the Lariat will get you a powered sliding rear window. Some clarification ... XLT will NOT have a rear window at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
No one has said anything that changes my mind yet! Powered sliding rear window.... Moonroof(s)..... I think there are places where you can get laughed at for that sort of stuff. And I am from one of those places.

We would have ordered a Pro if the darn thing had been available in the ER package.

Sponsored

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
You get a few more letters on the side charge door... sooooo, X-L-T vs. L-A-R-I-A-T : Man, if that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will :LOL: . Your research sounds like you know what you're doing, go with your gut.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Lariat does get the Adaptive Cruise Control, Blue Cruise does not seem worth it as you still have to pay attention. Lariat folding memory mirrors for narrow parking spots would have been nice for my XLT 312A. Seat memory, ventilated Leather should be better than XLT slippery cloth. Steering column memory might be good if sharing truck. Rear seat heat for passengers? Big center display for watching videos while waiting to charge and more likely to get Ford attention to upgrading since shared with MachE. Fancier doo-dads like painted side mirrors, lighted interior mirrors, rear seat armrest, wireless charging. There may be some weird deletes like scales, smart hitch, and heated steering? Rear "signature" light across tailgate is having manufacturing problems. The rear underseat container seems unnecessary unless lockable.

But if just a work vehicle for local jobs, a plain XLT might be fine. I wanted the Adaptive Cruise Control and paid the extra for 312A package, but at least got the 9.6 Pro Power and power tailgate with that package. The XLT has a higher load rating and I had the tow tech package with scales. The 20" wheels I think are less efficient and comfortable than the 18". Carpets are a waste, should just have a high end WeatherTech full coverage pads.

Wish I had the ER for less range anxiety but $10K extra at the time, but ER does include the faster charger? (and ready for house backup, when they figure out the SunRun controls!).

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
No one has said anything that changes my mind yet! Powered sliding rear window.... Moonroof(s)..... I think there are places where you can get laughed at for that sort of stuff. And I am from one of those places.

We would have ordered a Pro if the darn thing had been available in the ER package.
Had a Pro, have a Lariat ERā€¦.get the XLT ER.

The extra heft of the Lariat ER has a noticeable impact on the ride quality compared to a SR Pro, since weā€™re comparing ER to ER itā€™ll be less of an impact but the XLT should still be lighter.

My thoughts:
1) Thereā€™s more wind and road noise in the Lariat, which I presume is due to the moonroof and rear sliding window - neither of which I use.

2) Bluecruise is nice, but I wonā€™t pay for it when it expires. Shouldā€™ve saved the money.

3) The horizontal screen is superior in every way.

4) Power tailgate has been pointless for me, I have never powerfolded it down and donā€™t understand why I need the assist up.

4) Color caps etc can be added by a local paint shop.

The only thing I really enjoyed is the leather heat/ventilated seats which can be added. I will also say the powerfold can be nice if your garage is smaller - I need to powerfold in to fit into the garage.

If I had to do it again Iā€™d pass on the Laiat and get the XLT. I donā€™t use half the stuff I thought I would (onboard scales, pro trailer, etc) really the only thing thatā€™s nice is the 360 cameras which can be had without stepping up. Otherwise if I had gotten that on the Pro Iā€™d be 95% happy. 100% with an ER Pro

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Lariat has some nicer features like vented front seats, heated rear seats, 360 camera for parking, foldable mirrors, sunroof. I felt they were good to have. If you are not short of $5500, then get it. But if you really donā€™t need those features, forget it.

OP
OP

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
I guess for me there is another aspect. Being from the 60's, I saw a lot of technology in its infancy. Door locks, power windows, seats, moon roof, etc etc. And it was all fine. NOT. Now, today. Power locks, windows, seats are all pretty reliable, and I am good. But still, why have something you don't need. Like backup lights on the frinkin' tailgate.

My people tend to drive vehicles into the dirt. Literally. Pickups as they are called (a real truck has at least 3 axels) pass from new, to decent, to beater, to still starts........ This is reality among much of working world. You drive what you can afford and what is still kinda reliable.

Electric trucks will be no different in 10-15-20 years. Hard to predict what the "failure points" will be. Old trucks these days often just rust apart and keeping them together becomes hopeless. Individual parts can fail and then, the truck just descends to another level of society.

A 1993 truck with a running engine, blows the tranny. It does not get crushed. Some fella finds a transmission and replaces it. A worthless truck becomes valuable again after a $400 transmission and some labor.

Pardon my ramblings. I guess a few thou here and there ain't much anymore.

Sponsored

alockbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
So the Extended Range XLT is already the 312a. I see some comments saying things are missing that are actually there. The 312a includes the power up-down tailgate, 360 camera, heated steering wheel, everything BlueCruise except hands-free (it lane keeps actively, follows turns, keeps distance on cruise, etc. The base speakers are actually better than the BO 8 speakers that are heavily center-channels. The leather seats can be added but Iā€™ve yet to see it for $1,400 installed since Katzkin sells them for $1,400 directly, unless your dealer is willing to take a hit or youā€™re buying an off-brand.

Yes it is missing the leather ventilated front seats, body color power fold and heated mirrors, moon roof, rear power-sliding window, BlueCruise handsfree (3 years free then $800 a year), trailer brake assist.

Having owned a 22 Lariat SR and now a 23 XLT ER 312a, I much prefer the XLT. I only miss the power fold mirrors that will be a little over 1k to add, Iā€™m adding Katzkin leather heated and cooled seats as we speak. Katzkin he had twice for five year stretches and they hold up better than any manufacturer leather. Pricey but worth it. XLT is quieter, faster, lighter. I much prefer the wider screen to the taller. I had a Mach E as well and the screen made better sense there than the F-150. The physical controls for AC are a pleasure to use (even when Iā€™m backing up I can adjust the fan!). CarPlay is much bigger on the landscape screen.

At the end of the day, if you plan to deck out your XLT after-market, you wonā€™t save much over a Lariat, but I get the ER I want with Platinum style leather seats and can do upgrades over time I choose. I would have never paid for BlueCruise after the three years now that the price went from $600 for 3 years to $800 per year.

If you prefer the factory leather and mirrors and moonroof etc, get the Lariat! I love my XLT.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Had a Pro, have a Lariat ERā€¦.get the XLT ER.

The extra heft of the Lariat ER has a noticeable impact on the ride quality compared to a SR Pro, since weā€™re comparing ER to ER itā€™ll be less of an impact but the XLT should still be lighter.

My thoughts:
1) Thereā€™s more wind and road noise in the Lariat, which I presume is due to the moonroof and rear sliding window - neither of which I use.

2) Bluecruise is nice, but I wonā€™t pay for it when it expires. Shouldā€™ve saved the money.

3) The horizontal screen is superior in every way.

4) Power tailgate has been pointless for me, I have never powerfolded it down and donā€™t understand why I need the assist up.

4) Color caps etc can be added by a local paint shop.

The only thing I really enjoyed is the leather heat/ventilated seats which can be added. I will also say the powerfold can be nice if your garage is smaller - I need to powerfold in to fit into the garage.

If I had to do it again Iā€™d pass on the Laiat and get the XLT. I donā€™t use half the stuff I thought I would (onboard scales, pro trailer, etc) really the only thing thatā€™s nice is the 360 cameras which can be had without stepping up. Otherwise if I had gotten that on the Pro Iā€™d be 95% happy. 100% with an ER Pro
Iā€™ve tried Fordā€™s cooled leather seats. Kind of feels like sitting down on a wet park bench, and having the water soak through your pants all the way to your skin. That clammy wet feeling is what you get, for spending the premium to get cooled leather seats. Itā€™s not even close to the comfort of cold blowing A/C, in hot humid climates.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I have a Lariat. The main reason I went that way vs a max spec XLT is that the Lariat has the 15ā€ Sync 4A interface which matches my Mach-E. I wanted it to function the same as the car to make it much more seamless when switching between vehicles.

Other things I like about the Lariat: ventilated seats, and, and,ā€¦.thatā€™s about it.

Things I have that I wish I didnā€™t:
Power moonroof - known to have leakage problems on Fords for several years. Fancy light bar in the tailgate. Truck goes in today for replacement under recall. Service guy told me ā€œby the way, if you ever need to replace that, itā€™s $3500.ā€
The silly light bar across the front.

HFBC is nice, but I wonā€™t pay the subscription once the trial is over.

Sliding rear window used to be a must in order to facilitate easy deposit of empty beer cans into the bed, but those days are over! šŸ˜‚

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I am between these two. The ER package and 9.6kw power package on the XLT adds a number of features like adaptive cruise control that are different in the "base" XLT and Lariat

What all am I missing:

Lariat
-- 3 years Blue Cruise
-- Leather seats
-- Fancier tailgate (a negative to me, as this truck will get heavy real work use) The "swedges" I promise will get damaged. They look like a step to a farmer.
-- Parking assist
-- Power folding mirrors (I couldn't care less)
-- color coordinate exterior stuff like handles, skull caps (also couldn't care less)

XLT
????

For me and my family, the single feature we would actually pay money for on the Lariat is the leather seats. Dealer says Katzskins are like $1400 installed. When I option out both trims (9.6kw power and tow package) they come out $5455 different. So $4000 for Blue Cruise and a bunch of stuff I don't want.

Help me understand the error in my thinking! Or tell me I am correct!
YOu have clearely made up your mind. Go with it. P.S. I LOVE my Lariat; the features that it has that the XLT does not have are very important to me. But that's just me. Your needs are different. Go with your gut.

TruckE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning ER
I actually had a Lariat ER full option package until recently and still have an XLT ER 312A.

The XLT312A has everything the lariat has except:

* moonroof
* opening (and power) rear window
* memory seat controls
* Leather & cooled seats
* color mirror caps and power folding mirrors
* bigger, vertical dash screen
* wireless phone charger in center console
* some interior trim - leather on dash and more chrome/fake inserts
* silly rear tailgate lights (recalled no less)
* blue cruise (XLT 312A includes Copilot 2.0 adaptive with lane centering and stop and go).
* homelink in visor
* phone as a key (PAAK)

XLT does have brake controller if you have max tow / tow tech & it has park assist and 360 camera too with 312A at least.

Also IME the Lariat was noticeably quieter then the XLT and rode MUCH smoother on my potholed roads.

But my wife preferred the cloth seats and horizontal normal screen and real system controls. I do miss the rear window and the memory seats.
Sponsored

Last edited: