• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ready For The Ford 80A Charge Station Pro

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Understand that previous threads have discussed the future installation of the high end charge solution for the Lightning but now that successful orderers of the Lightning Extended Range Battery models are 3-6 months away from being able to order from SunRun (through FordParts.Com), it is useful to dedicate a new thread exclusive to its installation, limitations, cost, and use. The unit will come as Standard with the Extended Battery Option.

According to Ford (From Ford Lightning SourceBook 2/02/22):

"customer can order their preferred
charge station at the dealership and
include it in their vehicle financing,
through FordParts.Com using the Order
Now button or separately through
FordParts.Com. Customers will
need a licensed electrician to install the unit."

Some sources have stated that aftermarket purchases may be $2K-$3K for the unit. Some will have no need for the charger and it will be just a perk.
I expect we will see many of these units to show up soon on Ebay.

SunRun hopes to charge for installation (in SunRun states) but will have no control over those who choose to self-install (with or without a licensed electrician). Those who self-install run the risk of local permit violations either now or in the future if they sell their property.

It is extremely important to research state and local electrical codes particular to our respective locations.

It must be hardwired to a dedicated 100A breaker, possibly with 3 wire (including neutral) #4 gauge copper or #2 gauge aluminum wiring (depending on distance and location). The neutral is required?

I have Amazon-Priced:

Square D Hom2100 2P-120/240V-100A Cb Breaker $49.50

4 Gauge 4 AWG 10 Feet Black + 10 Feet Red Welding Battery Pure Copper Flexible Cable Wire $39.38 (for short runs + conduit)

Many of us have no need to use the Lightning for home backup power so we hope to install without a transfer switch installation (mine would be to a 200A service panel in an outbuilding). Others with a home with a 'normal' 200A panel will be limited by current space in the panel or current power draw.

The cost to retrofit or install a new 400A panel is costly (if possible).

I am not a licensed electrician and some of the above information may need to be corrected.
Sponsored

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Curious to how or if homeback would ever be able to used vs my Tesla power walls. For example in extended outage how could i force the truck to power the house when im home and save the powerwalls for when im away.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
My plan is to run 4-2 wire from 60A 220 breaker to evse 4 feet away through concrete block wall. I hope the Ford pro charger can be dialed down to 48A. If not, looks like Wallbox unit needed. If I can use the pro charger I’ll pop a 100A 220 breaker in at some point and see if I can draw 80A without dimming lights and messing up electronics since I have only 150A service. If pro charger requires 4-3 then I’ll fish a white 4AWG wire from panel to charger.
I have no plans to ever use DC back feed for emergency power.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
My plan is to run 4-2 wire from 60A 220 breaker to evse 4 feet away through concrete block wall. I hope the Ford pro charger can be dialed down to 48A. If not, looks like Wallbox unit needed. If I can use the pro charger I’ll pop a 100A 220 breaker in at some point and see if I can draw 80A without dimming lights and messing up electronics since I have only 150A service. If pro charger requires 4-3 then I’ll fish a white 4AWG wire from panel to charger.
I have no plans to ever use DC back feed for emergency power.
Pretty sure that @tommolog confirmed with Ford, that Pro Charger can be dialed down to 16A.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Red Welding Battery Pure Copper Flexible Cable Wire
I think that is for 12 V batteries and welding, not really for electrical work.

Unless you really need to charge at 80A on a normal day then you have no need for that charger. Sell it when you buy the truck maybe.

You can probably use a much lower EVSE.

While you can in theory over amp a panel, you can't easily add in 100A in almost every US home without going way over.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I second this. The most common wire type used for premises wiring is THHN/THWN-2.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback

Unless you really need to charge at 80A on a normal day then you have no need for that charger. Sell it when you buy the truck maybe.

You can probably use a much lower EVSE.

While you can in theory over amp a panel, you can't easily add in 100A in almost every US home without going way over.
Why do you say that a 100 amp service cannot be added easily? Is it because you assume everyone has electric dryers and cooking?

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Thank you for the wire correction @Maquis.

Edit:

SIMpull 4 Stranded Black Copper THHN Wire (By-the-Foot)
Item #72610Model #20499049
#4 AWG commercial wiring - ($1.79) sold by the Foot (continuous)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-...d-Black-Copper-THHN-Wire-By-the-Foot/50101584

To @rdr854, I think what @jefro is saying - Increasing the size of a 100A service to a 150A, 200A, or 400A Panel is both expensive and difficult in most older homes. Many older panels will simply not have room for another double pull breaker nor a huge 100A load.

https://askinglot.com/what-sizes-do-electrical-panels-come-in

"Standard-sized services for residential applications are 100, 200, or 400 amps. The general rules of thumb for determining service sizes are: 100 amps will service a range, water heater, general lighting, and receptacle outlets. Usually recommended for workshops, vacation cabins and larger pump systems."

And although the 80A Charge Station Pro can indeed be dialed back to a lower load, would local building codes allow such an installation?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
And although the 80A Charge Station Pro can indeed be dialed back to a lower load, would local building codes allow such an installation?
When we had our installation done, all the inspector cared about was the wiring of the circuit. He had zero interest in the device being connected to the junction box. In fact, he did not remove the box cover to check the wiring, nor the cover of the electrical panel. They took photos, he had no interest in those either.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Following the conversation.

I am leaning toward adding a second service drop to our detached garage, the cable run is prohibitive and our old Cape c 1947 only has 100 amp load center, we would need a major service update to the house, then run an overhead or underground conduit from house to garage. I already have another back up power system in the house, so no interest in Sunrun systems

Quicker and easier to drop a new service line, we are located on a corner lot, and the house feed is coming in from the front of the center of the property, while the Garage is located to the rear of our lot where the service poles and wire also run along the side of our property.

Just need to have a new service entrance, conduits, 200 amp load center, and more inside conduit to the mounting location where the truck will be parked.

I've got a motorcycle work shop in half the garage while the other half is where the truck and wife car is parked.

I've always wanted more power out there than the 2 x 20 amp lines at the moment, then I could also add mini-spit for the work shop for Heating and cooling as well.

This is a big project for other reasons.

Last edited:

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Following the conversation.

I am leaning toward adding a second service drop to our detached garage, the cable run is prohibitive and our old Cape c 1947 only has 100 amp load center, we would need a major service update to the house, then run an overhead or underground conduit from house to garage. I also ready have other back up power systems in the house, so no interest in Sunrun systems

Quicker and easier to drop a new service line, we are located on a corner lot, and the house feed is coming in from the front of the center of the property, while the Garage is located to the rear of our lot where the service poles and wire also run along the side of our property.

Just need to have a new service entrance, conduits, 200 amp load center, and more inside conduit to the mounting location where the truck will be parked.

I've got a motorcycle work shop in half the garage while the other half is where the truck and wife car is parked.

I've always wanted more power out there than the 2 x 20 amp lines at the moment, then I could also add mini-spit for the work shop for Heating and cooling as well.

This is a big project for other reasons.
You should also check with your local electric utility to make sure that their service can support your needs. There have apparently been cases where an electrician assumed that they could increase service from say 100 amps to 200 amps only to find out later that the service line and transformer was not big enough - leaving the customer most unhappy.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You should also check with your local electric utility to make sure that their service can support your needs. There have apparently been cases where an electrician assumed that they could increase service from say 100 amps to 200 amps only to find out later that the service line and transformer was not big enough - leaving the customer most unhappy.
Good point. The electrician has to file paperwork with the utility, my utility calls it a "load letter", which they then approve, prior to upgrading the service.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I'll be sure to do that, our old sub-division had 10 duplex townhouses constructed in the past 4 years. It could be getting to the point where they need to reapportion the branch circuits with more cans on the poles!

I haven't seen any kind of upgrade to the distribution yet, but that will be coming in the near future, Mass is pushing gas utilities to phase out heating by 2050, they want all heat-pumps be they air or geothermal which depend on electricity.

Last edited:

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Quick question does anyone remember the charging cable length? Was it 25'? I need to maske sure I situate the station fight.
Sponsored