• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
What's the difference of the Mongoose Pro vs Plus? Amazon has the Plus... Manuf web site does not mention a plus.
Sponsored

Jaug

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Roger that, I'm just going to walk away then when I update tomorrow after my Mongoose Pro comes in.
My setup is in the garage and I just kept checking on it every 5 mins or so. Just making sure the computer didn’t decide to instal an update or try to restart for some reason.
I was doing some updates about three weeks ago with the nano and a lot older laptop and I walked away. It decided to restart on me and do an update. I think it was the driver seat module if I remember. All went dead. Started everything back up and restarted the instal and luckily it started over and finished just fine. Definitely made me a little more paranoid.
I will say the mongoose ran flawlessly unlike the nano. It seemed like I had a lot of failures with the Nano and was constantly fighting it. This ran smooth just like the VCM3 I borrowed last week.

Jaug

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I get nervous doing these. 3 hours is a long time to program a module. So many variables..
One of the things that goes through my mind is please ford don’t work on your servers and shut them off for a time (during the weekend of course) while I’m in the middle of a three hour IPMA ?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
One of the things that goes through my mind is please ford don’t work on your servers and shut them off for a time (during the weekend of course) while I’m in the middle of a three hour IPMA ?
I can appreciate the concern, but I think you’d be fine even if it did. The update tools download locally and then install. If you lost the server, the worst thing likely to happen is that you wouldn’t be able to complete the post-install validation right away. A network scan after the server comes back up should square you away.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
What's the difference of the Mongoose Pro vs Plus? Amazon has the Plus... Manuf web site does not mention a plus.
The Pro is not made anymore, it was replaced with the Plus version. Pro has an attached cable, Plus has a detachable/replaceable cable. There's probably other differences too, but that's the big one.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
My worry is always the power save features on my surface turning back on somehow from an update. I always am checking those to make sure they are off. People forget and their computer goes to sleep, there is a battery and plugged in setting and are set separately some forget to change it for both and then boom it went to sleep.

I have been doing this a long time. I still get anxious. I know I can fix it but I just get so nervous. all I am saying is those with anxiety dont feel bad. I have it too and its normal when dealing with such an expensive item. The great thing is we have created a great community with people willing to jump in and help where possible.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
My worry is always the power save features on my surface turning back on somehow from an update. I always am checking those to make sure they are off. People forget and their computer goes to sleep, there is a battery and plugged in setting and are set separately some forget to change it for both and then boom it went to sleep.

I have been doing this a long time. I still get anxious. I know I can fix it but I just get so nervous. all I am saying is those with anxiety dont feel bad. I have it too and its normal when dealing with such an expensive item. The great thing is we have created a great community with people willing to jump in and help where possible.
Which Surface you use? I have a heavy 17" screen Alen laptop which is also my main puter for everything I do. Afraid its gonna drop someday and Id rather have a backup and something easier to work in the truck.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Which Surface you use? I have a heavy 17" screen Alen laptop which is also my main puter for everything I do. Afraid its gonna drop someday and Id rather have a backup and something easier to work in the truck.
I have the Surface Pro 7 i7/16gb RAM

Its probably the best thing I have ever used for this type of work. I have used the surface since the Pro 4

If the budget allows one I really suggest it. It is really great for things you have to do while driving like camera calibration and data logging. I would say an i5 16 gb would be fine all the way back to a Surface pro 5 or 6

Foxtrot150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A PB SCrew 6.5
Wow so my battery was replaced a month ago. When they took the hold down bolt out they put anti seaze on the threads. After talking to @Bob_Mac he concluded I had a bad ground. Well the bolt with the anti seaze caused a weak enough ground to cause my voltage issues. I did have to connect the negative directly to the negative side of the battery in order to bring the voltage back I was able to get backup to 12.5 V and the IPMA update seems like all might be well. Fingers crossed and a huge thank you to all you guys especially @Bob_Mac for spending time on the phone with me to figure this out.
May I ask if you had Ford replace your battery under warranty and if so, what symptoms did you have (to prove it needed replacement)?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I would say an i5 16 gb would be fine all the way back to a Surface pro 5 or 6
I have a Surface Pro 6 and my only complaint is that it only has one USB port. It is a great device overall though, and I highly recommend the Surface product line. I may replace my SP6 with a Surface Book though in the future, but it will be a while before that happens. I'd recommend if you're getting an older model to not get anything older than the 6 though as it is the oldest one to officially support Windows 11. If you're getting them new, the best time is around Thanksgiving/Christmas as they typically offer discounts/bundles on them that don't come at other times of the year.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have a Surface Pro 6 and my only complaint is that it only has one USB port. It is a great device overall though, and I highly recommend the Surface product line. I may replace my SP6 with a Surface Book though in the future, but it will be a while before that happens. I'd recommend if you're getting an older model to not get anything older than the 6 though as it is the oldest one to officially support Windows 11. If you're getting them new, the best time is around Thanksgiving/Christmas as they typically offer discounts/bundles on them that don't come at other times of the year.
I use a usb hub, it works great.. the 7 has a usb c also which helps also.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
At the desk, I use the Surface dock. When traveling, I have a USB hub.
But for all this in-truck work I use my heavy large screen big battery laptop. Mostly because it isn't fussy about where I set it, as long as it's flat.
Although while I am actually driving the Powerboost (office on wheels), the Surface is absolutely the go-to for quick work.

Have I mentioned how AMAZING it is to sit in the truck for 1-3 hours, depending on tasks being delegated, all while enjoying climate control, musical ambiance, maybe a seat massage thrown in to get circulation going...... And have the ICE come on about 3 times per hour, for about 55 seconds each event? ??

Most incredible vehicle on the road for what I do in life and work. Which is why I am so willing to be a part of this geek-community.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Stupid question, for those of you that have updated your software through FDRS or other manual methods, do your OTA updates work now?

I'm a little intimidated and not thrilled about buying hardware and a license to update my truck, but may be willing to go that route if it is just a one-time thing to catch me up and get me receiving future OTA updates.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Stupid question, for those of you that have updated your software through FDRS or other manual methods, do your OTA updates work now?

I'm a little intimidated and not thrilled about buying hardware and a license to update my truck, but may be willing to go that route if it is just a one-time thing to catch me up and get me receiving future OTA updates.
I'm sitting at that exact location. I'm essentially caught up short of the recent BlueCruise modules. I have the updates turned on for every single day. I'm half tempted to just sit here and wait until I'm in the BlueCruise test group and see if the OTA's start flowing.

My hope is that the OTA's do kick in and now that my truck has become less of a pain in the ass the OTA's actually work this time.

Shoebox72069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
On that same vein - anyone know how long it takes to get caught back up on OTA? I think I'm over the 1.7.1 hump after kicking my APIM but its been a week of happy run time and I haven't seen an OTA yet.

I was hoping I would see at least one before I grab the software and start catching things back up, which I was going to do regardless.
Sponsored