• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
..... Media embargoes are standard practice in the auto industry. This is nothing new.
Yes, very common - recently with the release of the Apple Mac Studio and Studio display there was an embargo on when the media and YouTubers could report on it....

I still bought them sight unseen.

Can't believe I am buying a $70K truck and have never test driven it !
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I'm sure they're trying to keep the miles down so they can sell it "new" after the 6-month hold is over. I don't know what the rules are on how the dealers have to present it but I'm sure the sales guy will pitch it as new if it's got 100 or 200 miles on it. If it's got 800 miles then that's not really going to fly.
They can sell it as new if it has never been titled (that is all that the IRS is going to care about for tax credit purposes). Often dealer demos are sold with a few hundred+ miles on the odometer with a discount for being a demo and not exactly new. It still gets titled as new with the new car warranty (not the used warranty). They can sell it with 20k adm instead of 25k (what a discount).

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Are you kidding ?
Pre-approved to test drive ?

Will this work to allow me to test drive their Lightning :
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 7.56.57 PM.png
That won't cover the ADM 😆😆😆

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
You can test drive it if you prove you can afford it. I think that's pretty common for dealers to require, especially for high demand/price vehicles. Otherwise, they'll spend all day with people wanting to take a test drive with no intent to buy. Believe me, you can't just walk into a Porsche dealership and ask to test drive a GT3 without some proof you can buy it.

I think Ford has handled it fine and I seriously doubt they will lose more than a handful of reservations over petty gripes about PR that wasn't perfect. I would question whether those people were serious buyers in the first place. Media embargoes are standard practice in the auto industry. This is nothing new.
What if I want to test drive it because I am considering the $40k or $50k Lightning model? I guess those who can afford at that price range are SOL. A Pro and Higher trim should have been given in that case IMO.

As far as the embargo, I know it's standard but isn't it usually on vehicles that have not been released for purchase?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
What if I want to test drive it because I am considering the $40k or $50k Lightning model? I guess those who can afford at that price range are SOL. A Pro and Higher trim should have been given in that case IMO.

As far as the embargo, I know it's standard but isn't it usually on vehicles that have not been released for purchase?
In that case I would talk to the dealer. It isn't Ford's rule, it's just that one specific dealer. I'm sure they would let you test drive if you were interested in buying one, they're trying to scare off tire kickers.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
In that case I would talk to the dealer. It isn't Ford's rule, it's just that one specific dealer. I'm sure they would let you test drive if you were interested in buying one, they're trying to scare off tire kickers.
Thats for sure!

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
77K is MSRP on an XLT they say lol
The eighth character in the VIN is a "V" 1FT6W1EV4NWG02424 That is the "Engine" designation. On the Lightning "L" indicates the SR Battery/Motor and "V" indicates an ER Battery/Motor. In this instance that XLT would have an MSRP in the $77k range depending on other options.

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
Media embargoes are standard practice in the auto industry. This is nothing new.
Yes, and for good reason. It's to make sure people have time to do proper write-ups without feeling like they need to rush to be "first!!!!!!!111!!!!!11!!!!2111!!!!!".

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Some dumbass with more money than sense will certainly buy the thing and then have to wait 6 months to actually pick it up 🤣

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
Atlas Blue F150 Lightning just arrived at Fines Ford Lincoln in Bolton, Ontario.

F150 lightning atlas blue color.jpg
Holy shit this is down the street from me, so I'm going to swing by on my way to work.

If you see any news articles that a Lightning was stolen, that means they said no to the test drive request, but I humbly disagreed.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Holy shit this is down the street from me, so I'm going to swing by on my way to work.

If you see any news articles that a Lightning was stolen, that means they said no to the test drive request, but I humbly disagreed.
Maybe folks on the Forum will set up a bail pool for you Tihor, good luck

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt

Slick68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles