First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I have a 48amp home charger but have only used it 2 times to charge up over night for a drive to San Diego and the other time to Laguna Beach. Each time charging to 95% so I would not have to worry about charging on the trip.
Since those two times I've been DC fast charging at Electrify America for work 7 miles and around town stuff, I've been down to 8% once and 13% once. All other times have been no less than 30 to 40% when I DC fast charge. My reason at this time for not charging at home is I have free charging at EA right now.
My question is charging on DC fast only in any way degrading the battery? And does charging at a slower 48amp vs DC 150amp give you a longer lasting charge? I know with cell phones if you fast charge all the time your battery will not last as long.
Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn’t be concerned with damage caused by the 250 or 500 kWh that Ford gives you. Charging at home will be much cheaper and that will push you to AC charging instead of DC fast charging.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
I wouldn’t be concerned with damage caused by the 250 or 500 kWh that Ford gives you. Charging at home will be much cheaper and that will push you to AC charging instead of DC fast charging.
Well not much cheaper my home rate is 28 cents and EA is 31 with the subscription.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Good info thanks..

Limit DC Fast-Charging to Preserve Battery Health

It’s tempting to use DC Fast-Charging whenever possible to take advantage of its ability to quickly charge an all-electric vehicle’s battery from 0% to 80% in about 45 minutes. But using DC Fast-Charging also tends to stress both the electrolyte and electrodes in each battery cell.

AC “slow-charging” (either 120V or 240V) helps preserve battery health and helps extend battery life. Help owners understand how to use SYNC’s Preferred Charging Times to schedule charging times and locations, so they don’t have to DC Fast-Charge as often. AC is the way to go for daily driving.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Does AC slow charging at 48amps vs 16amps make a difference to battery health?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I guess not. I might be tempted to use DCFC more if I had those electric rates
My home rates are double what I pay at EA. And when National Grid increases rates this winter my home rate will be 3-4x. I mostly charge at work for free but i’ll be using DCFC much more often than i had planned to due to the crazy rates we’re seeing in the northeast right now.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Good info thanks..

Limit DC Fast-Charging to Preserve Battery Health

It’s tempting to use DC Fast-Charging whenever possible to take advantage of its ability to quickly charge an all-electric vehicle’s battery from 0% to 80% in about 45 minutes. But using DC Fast-Charging also tends to stress both the electrolyte and electrodes in each battery cell.

AC “slow-charging” (either 120V or 240V) helps preserve battery health and helps extend battery life. Help owners understand how to use SYNC’s Preferred Charging Times to schedule charging times and locations, so they don’t have to DC Fast-Charge as often. AC is the way to go for daily driving.
Around town, local driving, I charge to 90% on DCFC (EA or EV Go) for my SR Lariat.

For home charging, about once every 10 days, I charge using 48A L2 to 100%.
Figure the slower charge means less heating of the cells so 100% on AC.

Some people here subscribe to the 80% DCFC and 90% L2 rule.

Everyone has different needs.

On road trips - always charge to 100% on L3 DCFC.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
My home rates are double what I pay at EA. And when National Grid increases rates this winter my home rate will be 3-4x. I mostly charge at work for free but i’ll be using DCFC much more often than i had planned to due to the crazy rates we’re seeing in the northeast right now.
Honestly... if you live in Mass(and plan to stay) solar is an option to consider. If your home is suitable, the economics make sense with massive state/fed tax credits.

When I ran the numbers in upstate NY (same crappy weather) with lower cost electric and LESS tax credits my payback was only 8-9yrs with net metering.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.
Since DC charging slows down drastically at 80% and even more at 90%, charging is a huge waste of time. So unless you know that you'll need 100% SOC to get to the next charging station, don't bother.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Honestly... if you live in Mass(and plan to stay) solar is an option to consider. If your home is suitable, the economics make sense with massive state/fed tax credits.

When I ran the numbers in upstate NY (same crappy weather) with lower cost electric and LESS tax credits my payback was only 8-9yrs with net metering.
Yes, i’ll be installing solar next year. I almost pulled the trigger in May but I didn’t do it. I wish i had.

ETA: i have some quotes that i need refreshed. I’m curious how they have changed since May.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Around town, local driving, I charge to 90% on DCFC (EA or EV Go) for my SR Lariat.

For now since my DCFC is free i will do this like you.
100% L2 48A at home for the weekend trips.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Level 3 fast charging does stress the battery more than level 2 charging. For myself I will only fast charge on a road trip as needed. When I got my Kona, Hyundai recommends limiting the use of level 3 charging. I think I fast charged my Kona 6-8 times in 14 months. You got to do what you got do of course but I wouldn't go to my local Walmart to charge just cause its free if I knew i could easily just charge that night at home. We do have a lot of free Level 2 chargers at parks and some businesses, and I use those any chance I get. I'll go for a run near one of those and get 45-90 mins of charge.
Sponsored