• Total voters

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat , 22 Mach E GT
I had the same problem and user swajames recommended to reset the battery monitor and drive for 30 minutes. I had tried several times last night, so in the morning I reset the BMS drove for 30 minutes came home and the truck updated.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
I bumped my charging profile from 80 to 90% this afternoon once it was clear the manual installs were failing, I also used a battery charger 12vx10amp on the LVB for five hours 1400 to 1900. Waiting patiently to see if the auto install at 0100 would work, it did!!!

Update completed at 0124, as others found the truck resumed charging to 100%

I stopped the charging.

I tinkered with the required levels seeing if I could revise the profile to 95% then bump back down to 90 or even 80%, none of these changes caused the specification to drop to 100% on the charging activity screen when I "RESUMED" schedule.

I stopped it again and deleted the corrupted charging scheme.

Went to the garage, unplugged, started it and backed out ~20 feet, then back into garage parking space, shut off truck, plugged in, and recreated the profile, one quirk, when labeling the profile, it defaults to WORK, and I was not able to select HOME (grayed out), so proceeded with building the WORK profile, set my specifications temporarily to 95% since it was already at 94% I wanted to see that the profile would be honored, within 5 minutes the truck reached 95% and charging suspended.

Now I have rolled back the requirement to 80% for the rest of the summer, also was able to change the profile label from WORK to HOME, I will bump the SOC to 100% as needed when I have a long trip or towing event, being the warm motorcycling season, I'm not putting many miles on the Lightning but LOTS on the Harley.

POLL answers adjusted.

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I haven’t really been paying much attention to this thread, but the update queued up on my truck today. It’s supposed to install tonight per my schedule.

So I read the description and I’m just shaking my head.
”Displayed range has been adjusted to reflect what is possible with optimal driving practices.”

I just have to laugh. I’ve always preached “Ignore the GOM” and this nonsense just reinforces my belief.

It‘s like Ford said “Let’s give them a really big number so people quit bitching about range.”
Something else must have changed without them telling us. I don’t think it was just the displayed range.

After this update my GOM dropped the milage estimate at 85% from 272 down to 261. Yes it’s really hot here in Texas so I assume its because of that too.
My truck has been plugged in charging for 83 hours straight now - charging on 120V at a rate if 1.2kW.

Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 23-PU0306-BCF-DET IMG_4153

After this update, my charging target stayed the same (100%) but my charging time to hit the target decreased by 4-6 hours.

I doubt I’m pulling more juice if I’m on 120V. Which means I’m getting about 4-6kW less to max (3-4.5%)

@Jimbalf your numbers of 261/272 is 4%.

Maybe it’s a coincidence, but I’ve got a 1100 mile drive home in a couple of days and I really hope I’m not down 4% on my battery availability…

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I bumped my charging profile from 80 to 90% this afternoon once it was clear the manual installs were failing, I also used a battery charger 12vx10amp on the LVB for five hours 1400 to 1900. Waiting patiently to see if the auto install at 0100 would work, it did!!!

Update completed at 0124, as others found the truck resumed charging to 100%

I stopped the charging.

I tinkered with the required levels seeing if I could revise the profile to 95% then bump back down to 90 or even 80%, none of these changes caused the specification to drop to 100% on the charging activity screen when I "RESUMED" schedule.

I stopped it again and deleted the corrupted charging scheme.

Went to the garage, unplugged, started it and backed out ~20 feet, then back into garage parking space, shut off truck, plugged in, and recreated the profile, one quirk, when labeling the profile, it defaults to WORK, and I was not able to select HOME (grayed out), so proceeded with building the WORK profile, set my specifications temporarily to 95% since it was already at 94% I wanted to see that the profile would be honored, within 5 minutes the truck reached 95% and charging suspended.

Now I have rolled back the requirement to 80% for the rest of the summer, also was able to change the profile label from WORK to HOME, I will bump the SOC to 100% as needed when I have a long trip or towing event, being the warm motorcycling season, I'm not putting many miles on the Lightning but LOTS on the Harley.

POLL answers adjusted.
It’s interesting that you were in a garage. I suspect the charge to 100% may be due to the GPS. After an update or if you pull the 12V I suspect that truck forgets where it is and is unable to get a position indoors. I had this happen recently but after driving it went back to my home charge limit without any programming.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
These were the charge logs from last night's activity showing what I mentioned earlier this morning.

Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 23-PU0306-BCF-DET 1689254555522
Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 23-PU0306-BCF-DET 1689254506428

Did our morning routine breakfast run, which is admittedly short distance, but I was surprised to see the SOC increase from 95% to 96% after the 1.6 mile trip!!

Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 23-PU0306-BCF-DET 1689254641182

After the return trip home, it dropped back to 95%
Temps' in the low eighties, AC running, mild mannered driving.

Sponsored

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Business Consultant
Several failed manual attempts. Battery (12v) was close to 100%. Truck was at 81%. Charged to 90. Unplugged before bed (had to charge the Mach E) and the scheduled update went through without issue at 1am

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Several failed manual attempts. Battery (12v) was close to 100%. Truck was at 81%. Charged to 90. Unplugged before bed (had to charge the Mach E) and the scheduled update went through without issue at 1am
Did you ever rest your BMS between failure and success?

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Business Consultant
Did you ever rest your BMS between failure and success?
Kind of. I tried multiple manual attempts. Then reset the BMS and trickle charged battery and reset BMS again. Manual update failed 3 more times. Decided to just let it go overnight and then it took.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Well, I'm back in the camp of updates not installing.... I took my truck in on Monday. They ran diagnostics and checked everything over, charged my 12V battery and reset BMS. They said all updates installed. I got the notice last night that I had an update available and I figured I'd let it automatically install on schedule. It failed. It is this same -DET update that was not installing before. So why would my truck be trying to install it again? Or did the service techs at the dealership screw up and erase pending updates? They erased all my other settings and I had to set up my driver profile and PAAK again. That's my guess and it re-downloaded now and here I am again not being able to install.

Come on, Ford. This is f*&@ing stoopid... And no, I think the service techs are idiots or were gaslighting me. And no, I don't think this is a LVB problem, not with the number of people unable to install the update.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I'm back in the camp of updates not installing.... I took my truck in on Monday. They ran diagnostics and checked everything over, charged my 12V battery and reset BMS. They said all updates installed. I got the notice last night that I had an update available and I figured I'd let it automatically install on schedule. It failed. It is this same -DET update that was not installing before. So why would my truck be trying to install it again? Or did the service techs at the dealership screw up and erase pending updates? They erased all my other settings and I had to set up my driver profile and PAAK again. That's my guess and it re-downloaded now and here I am again not being able to install.

Come on, Ford. This is f*&@ing stoopid... And no, I think the service techs are idiots or were gaslighting me. And no, I don't think this is a LVB problem, not with the number of people unable to install the update.
Now I am starting to lose hope. My understanding is that in order for the software to know it has been updated, it has to know what version it is internally and check against something it has to be externally. I am starting to thing some dude copied and pasted an old code or line in a database and forgot to update it. May be we have the latest but our software is not self aware enough to know it. I feel like we are all unpaid Ford dealer service techs.

Sponsored

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
Yeah I'm done trying...been doing everything from charging the 12v and resetting BMS and nothing seems to work.

Just gonna let it keep trying overnight on it's own hoping it eventually goes through. Might also bring it into the dealership if it really keeps going.

Every update before this wen through perfectly, I really don't understand.

Ps. I also tried doing it right after trickle charging the 12v to 100% and when it didn't go through I re-hooked up my trickle charger only to see that the battery was "LO" again. Seems like the update takes a lot out of the 12v. Otherwise no 12v battery issues.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah I'm done trying...been doing everything from charging the 12v and resetting BMS and nothing seems to work.

Just gonna let it keep trying overnight on it's own hoping it eventually goes through. Might also bring it into the dealership if it really keeps going.

Every update before this wen through perfectly, I really don't understand.

Ps. I also tried doing it right after trickle charging the 12v to 100% and when it didn't go through I re-hooked up my trickle charger only to see that the battery was "LO" again. Seems like the update takes a lot out of the 12v. Otherwise no 12v battery issues.
same here. I give up especially since this update may have caused some new problems (not sure if they are related).

dlocutor

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning ER, 2013 Nissan Leaf
Yes, I am also a victim of the "offered update but failing to install" club and am giving up.
I've tried everything mentioned in this thread plus the suggestions from Ford's website.
After over four hours of online angst using chat and website, I finally got a case #.
After another hour with dealer, I finally got an appointment for the end of next week.
Just venting, but I'm losing patience and respect for Ford's service component.

jedi713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I failed this update once after failing the previous one over 20 times. After the first failure the only thing I did differently was to set the parking brake that evening.

After the update it charged to 100, and I can't seem to find the charging profiles in the menu anymore, did they get moved?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I failed this update once after failing the previous one over 20 times. After the first failure the only thing I did differently was to set the parking brake that evening.

After the update it charged to 100, and I can't seem to find the charging profiles in the menu anymore, did they get moved?
Go to the Home menu, select Charging, scroll the screen to see the bottom edge (15.5" display) you should find it at the bottom of the list, if you have an existing profile, edit the values, if you're having issues with an existing profile not conforming to the specifications (corrupted by a recent update) delete it/them and then rebuild a new specification, make sure to be under 100% charge and plugged in at the location you intend to always charge at [Home, Work, other locations], build the new profile.
Sponsored