Sponsored

Tesla Superchargers

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Re RickLightning suggestion to use PlugShare to plan a route, I guess my Teslas have spoiled me. I just want to get in and drive. Then charge when I need to. Does Plugshare know that I may have a 20 mph headwind, hard rain, and hills? A cold snap?
I didn't say to use PlugShare to plan a route, I said to use ABRP to plan a route and to use PlugShare to verify status of the chargers.

The Ford navigation will take into account weather and hills. Weather (HA!) you like how it does that or not, is up to you.

ABRP isn't live, but when you plan a trip in it it uses weather for that time of year. You can see this by planning a trip on 7/1 and then redoing it on 2/1, and you'll see more charging. ABRP has a premium version that costs $5 a month or $50 a year that pulls in more live stuff. I've never had a reason to pay for it.

If people are driving vehicles of any type, and they can't figure out that a 20mph headwind means you're driving 90 instead of 70 and are going to gulp fuel and should slow down, they shouldn't go on trips. We took a big trip in October, and hit that exact situation (rain too), and had no high speed options. I slowed to 50, and was able to make our hotel with some to spare, but until there are chargers every 50 miles that's not always doable.
Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
with the possible exception of Tesla's using their proprietary SC system take time to recharge compared to ICE vehicles.
There is nothing magic about Tesla's speeds. In fact, Tesla charge curves are not better - and in many cases worse - than other vehicles. The reliability of their network is higher, and their availability/sheer volume of charging locations is much higher. But Teslas, for the most part, charge at similar speeds to our vehicles.

The Lightning's disadvantage in speed is mainly due to the huge battery pack. All EV trucks face an efficiency challenge, so it takes longer to "fill up" because our "fuel tank" is much larger than that Model Y at the Tesla Supercharger.

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
Has anyone got any concrete information on when Ford will give us the tesla charge adapter. I was told by a reputable person that it should be in February.

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
I've owned a Y and an X, the X has a fantastic curve, holds 250 kW+ to over 35% and then still stays in the high 100's. The car has a 100 kWh pack but charges super quick. but, the key to the benefit of the Supercharger network is all in the reliability as mentioned.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
DCFC preconditioning and charger availability is what's important to me.
How do you precondition? I assume by putting the charger location in the truck navigation as a destination? Do you know anyway to manually precondition without the navigation?

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I’ve owned EVs for going on 8 years now. About a year ago we switched to Teslas. The Tesla charging network is reliable and plentiful, not like CSS netwirks.

I bought a Lightning about 4 months ago only because of the announcement that Tesla would be opening their chargers to Ford.

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Mode YP 2023 I. silver lightning LR ER
Occupation
cabinets
After placing an order ( of course I wouldn't think to read BEFORE purchasing ) for an adaptor , I read in the question section of the adaptor that it is NOT compatible w/ Superchargers , only home chargers, Is that accurate ? I always charge at home , so I don't even know , do Tesla charging stations have 2 different types of chargers ? It's only rated at 60A , btw.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
only home chargers, Is that accurate ?
Yes. The adapter everyone is waiting for is for DC fast charging. Some vendors sell these adapters as well but I am not sure it is wise to buy them before the network opens up and they are tested by third party.

Truaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT-ER
Occupation
IT Engineer
There are a lot more and in Phoenix Tesla is .42 per kw where EA or EVGo lowest cost is .49 so it’s less expensive.

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Mode YP 2023 I. silver lightning LR ER
Occupation
cabinets
I figured that was the case , Maxx , but wasn't sure. 60A being the highest rated listed should have clued me in.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
How do you precondition? I assume by putting the charger location in the truck navigation as a destination? Do you know anyway to manually precondition without the navigation?
Yes, using the truck nav to select a charger. No other way that I'm aware of.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
After placing an order ( of course I wouldn't think to read BEFORE purchasing ) for an adaptor , I read in the question section of the adaptor that it is NOT compatible w/ Superchargers , only home chargers, Is that accurate ? I always charge at home , so I don't even know , do Tesla charging stations have 2 different types of chargers ? It's only rated at 60A , btw.
It sounds like you picked up a Level 2 adapter - made for Tesla home, mobile, or destination chargers. I have one to use with my Tesla mobile EVSE (it's a great product) and on the off chance I ever need to use a Tesla destination charger at a hotel or other location.

Not a bad thing to have, though once the Ssupercharger adapter is available, I'll get one of those and only carry it, as it should work at all of the referenced plus Superchargers.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, using the truck nav to select a charger. No other way that I'm aware of.
The reason I asked is that people talk about preconditioning the battery at home before they leave. The only way I know to heat up the battery is by charging it via AC or with regen or fast discharge (accelerating fast).

If any of you guys that precondition the battery at home reading this please do share how. I have remote started the truck with the heat on but that did not seem to increase battery temp.

There are a lot more and in Phoenix Tesla is .42 per kw where EA or EVGo lowest cost is .49 so it’s less expensive.
That is not accurate. $0.42 is for members and membership is not free. Their regular price is $0.52 (at least for the magic dock near me)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The reason I asked is that people talk about preconditioning the battery at home before they leave. The only way I know to heat up the battery is by charging it via AC or with regen or fast discharge (accelerating fast).

If any of you guys that precondition the battery at home reading this please do share how. I have remote started the truck with the heat on but that did not seem to increase battery temp.

That is not accurate. $0.42 is for members and membership is not free. Their regular price is $0.52 (at least for the magic dock near me)
To precondition at home while plugged in, you must set a departure time.
Sponsored