Not open for further replies.

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Selfishly I hope they send them out to standard range owners first. We need them lol
Are they just sending them out randomly (like OTA updates) or do we need to contact them to gett one? Do we know when they will start shipping them?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Are they just sending them out randomly (like OTA updates) or
do we need to contact them to get one?
Do we know when they will start shipping them?
NOT LIKELY,
YOU WILL NEED TO STEP UP TO INDICATE YOU WANT ONE,
NO

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
NOT LIKELY,
YOU WILL NEED TO STEP UP TO INDICATE YOU WANT ONE,
NO
I disagree - we know they are not sending them today, or any time in the past. That eliminates ~13.8 billion years of possible shipping dates!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I guess I was not clear in my posting. When I drove from Southern Calif to San Antonio, Tx I was driving my Tesla and all the chargers from southern NM and northern TX and down to San Antonio were V2 chargers. I am saying that NOW that I have a Lightning I will not be able to make that drive.
ABRP says you can make the drive just fine. No Tesla chargers needed...

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Agree 100%. For this same reason I ditched Fordpass after I used up my complimentary free charging credits and now I just use the specific app for whatever charging network I need (I have EA, Chargepoint and EVGO accounts). They work seamlessly and no need to introduce a "middleman" app. Still have my Tesla account so that's what I plan (hope!) to use.
I think it’s pretty clear you will have to use the FordPass app or the screen in the truck to initiate charging. Otherwise, once they open it to Ford any CCS car could get an adapter and open a Tesla account. Hopefully it will just work like it does for Teslas, just plug in and it charges.

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
I think it’s pretty clear you will have to use the FordPass app or the screen in the truck to initiate charging. Otherwise, once they open it to Ford any CCS car could get an adapter and open a Tesla account. Hopefully it will just work like it does for Teslas, just plug in and it charges.
You're right! I think this is the secret fear of the Tesla people. Instead of their orderly lines of parked model 3s, people quietly reading books and sipping chai tea lattes while they charge, it could be pandemonium. Any yahoo with a CCS could just pull up to a charger blocking 3 spots, snap off the handle in their aluminum foil wrapped adapter and just start beating their children with the stump. It will be just like Electrify 'Murica!

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Tesla's backend will be confirming with Ford's cloud that the vehicle communicating to it has valid billing. So no, unless you are a Ford, you won't be authorized to charge just because you have an adaptor. I think the FordPass app will only be required in so much as you check a box that you want to use plug and charge with Tesla (just like we do with EA).

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Tesla's backend will be confirming with Ford's cloud that the vehicle communicating to it has valid billing. So no, unless you are a Ford, you won't be authorized to charge just because you have an adaptor. I think the FordPass app will only be required in so much as you check a box that you want to use plug and charge with Tesla (just like we do with EA).
So it sounds like we agree, you won’t be able to start a charge with just the Tesla app. We are going to pay Ford and Ford will pay Tesla.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
So it sounds like we agree, you won’t be able to start a charge with just the Tesla app. We are going to pay Ford and Ford will pay Tesla.
Yeah...I'm praying hard that we will one day be able to get the member discount through BlueOval or whatever they are calling it now. I wonder if Tesla will find a back door way for us to pay the membership and have a vin assigned to the account. Then it would bill Ford the discounted price. One can dream...

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
Yeah...I'm praying hard that we will one day be able to get the member discount through BlueOval or whatever they are calling it now. I wonder if Tesla will find a back door way for us to pay the membership and have a vin assigned to the account. Then it would bill Ford the discounted price. One can dream...
It's a pretty great dream, though! FordPass should be able to pass through any membership discount program they want including Tesla's. @Ford Motor Company this should be an important priority for the FordPass team, and it will improve the utilization of the software by the Ford EV community. Otherwise we will always have a group that is forced to use charger specific apps to get the discounting.

Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER Max Tow Carbonized Gray
Don’t feed the dragon! 😉
Who is that trying to walk across my bridge!! Hurmmmmph.

Stop it, just stop it. Now there's going to be 100 threads asking if we will get a free protractor with our adaptor!
Better include a pocket protector as well...

I guess I was not clear in my posting. When I drove from Southern Calif to San Antonio, Tx I was driving my Tesla and all the chargers from southern NM and northern TX and down to San Antonio were V2 chargers. I am saying that NOW that I have a Lightning I will not be able to make that drive.
I thought that they were expanding some older V2 sites by adding on V3 dispensers and cabinets? But I suppose I don't follow closely enough to actually know if that is the case, or just the impression I got from who knows where...

About the only productive contribution I have to the discussion for the past day, is that I concur with those who want to have the option to use the Tesla App for initiating a charge with their CCS Adapter, similar to how it is used for the magic dock. I wasted a few bucks by even subscribing to the tesla magic dock option even though there were none in my region of the country, just to try and encourage the addition of a magic dock somewhere near enough for me to try out. And it seems to have worked (sic) because there is one in moses lake I have been meaning to take a morning road trip out to so I can video the experience first hand. I should probably go watch that video Tom made that says "ACCESS KEY" in the thumbnail, I'm probably missing some important new nuance.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I think if you have the Tesla app already, because you own a Tesla as well, you will be able to use that and won't need the FordPass for the Tesla chargers.
That's the way it worked at one of the Tesla chargers that had their adapter built in. The problem is the Tesla cords are too short for where the Ford Lightning charge port is located to plug in without taking up two slots. And the way the charge port door opens toward the front of the lightning instead of towards the rear means the cord has to extend over the charge port door...there's a video in the State of Charge YouTube series from 2022 showing that.

Also, Tesla plans to open their chargers to ALL EV's, not just the Fords, and they have been adapting some of their EVSE's to have a CCS1 capability.

Meanwhile the US Gov has provided funds to any state that wants to subsidize expanding their network of EVSE's along highways.

So in the not too distant future there should be plenty of CCS1 capable chargers to choose from and maybe we won't even need the Tesla network.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.