Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lghtning
Occupation
Engineer
Question
I have a 2023 Ford F150 Lightning I bought last month. I average around a 120 miles a day commuting to work. I charge at work for free and have a level 2 30 amp charger at home. Should I charge every day at work or just charge when I get down to 20% ? I have been charging at work at 50% and at home at 50% up to 90%.I just don't like getting down to 20%.
Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I don't bother charging every day. I plug it in when it gets down to 30-40%. I charge to 90%. After 27k miles, I can count the number of times that I have charged the truck to 100% on one hand.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
In the summer I generally charge when I get to about 50% unless I have a longer drive coming up. In the winter I plug in every day to use shore power to keep the battery warm. In Atlanta, that is probably not as big a deal.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Employer funded charging? ..... HELL YES charge daily!!

Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Yes, plug in every day at work - that's what I do for my 85 mile daily round trip. Mostly to 90, but often to 100 if I have a longer drive planned.

Doing some FDRS stuff last night and checked the battery health - shows 99% after 62K miles of that charging routine.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford recommends to charge to 90% daily. There is zero reason to not charge daily.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
If it's free or cheaper to charge at work, I'd charge to 90% at work and use the home charging to keep it at whatever level it takes to assure you a nice fat 20% buffer when you get to work on your next commute. That may mean not needing to charge at home during the work week.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Question
I have a 2023 Ford F150 Lightning I bought last month. I average around a 120 miles a day commuting to work. I charge at work for free and have a level 2 30 amp charger at home. Should I charge every day at work or just charge when I get down to 20% ? I have been charging at work at 50% and at home at 50% up to 90%.I just don't like getting down to 20%.
You always want to be charging (ABC). As @MickeyAO has pointed out our lightning batteries do not enjoy large charging sessions for long term durability so it is better to charge daily to replenish the battery and offer less long term deep cycle charging. In your case twice a day 😎

As many mentioned Ford says 90% (85 ish really battery). If your work is free, I would charge to 85-90% at work and maybe 75-80% at home to keep with the shorter charge cycle, but get the benefit of free electricity at work.

The other reason you want to follow the ABC concept especially when you need 120 miles a day, what happens if you have a power outage and can’t charge, or an emergency? An EV is not quite as convenient as stopping for 5 minutes to fill up the tank.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'll second everything @Grease Lightning just said. Scientific research on battery health (which is what Mickey does for his day job) is unanimous. Charge as often as you can to keep the depth of charges small ( charging 50-70% twice does less damage to the battery than 30-70% once ). That's if you want to make your battery last as long as possible. Some people don't care and treat it like it's an ICE by topping up once a week. Doesn't make sense to me, why not take advantage of always having a "full tank" (yes I realize we don't charge to full most of the time).

Getting free electrons at work means you have your cake and get to eat it too!

OP
OP

Jakester

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lghtning
Occupation
Engineer
I'll second everything @Grease Lightning just said. Scientific research on battery health (which is what Mickey does for his day job) is unanimous. Charge as often as you can to keep the depth of charges small ( charging 50-70% twice does less damage to the battery than 30-70% once ). That's if you want to make your battery last as long as possible. Some people don't care and treat it like it's an ICE by topping up once a week. Doesn't make sense to me, why not take advantage of always having a "full tank" (yes I realize we don't charge to full most of the time).

Getting free electrons at work means you have your cake and get to eat it too!
I guess yall have answered the question. ABC keep it full 90% as much as possible charging at work, and home when I cant get the charger at work
Thanks Guys
I Love my Lightning
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.