Sponsored

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
It seems that Ford's difficulty with software has to do with the fact that the way the modules were designed doesn't really lend themselves to be updated OTA very well, even on ICE vehicles. They've had to figure out how to reliably update modules that were really meant to live their life with factory software. Updating was really only contemplated if a problem arose and only by the dealer.

Other automakers like Tesla and Rivian designed their electronic architecture from the ground up to be for an EV and to allow continuous OTA updates for new features, performance, and fixes. My understanding is that Ford's next generation of EVs will have an integrated electronic architecture that will address many of the difficulties of software updates. Right now our trucks have a complicated system of various modules with dedicated functions yet all are expected to play well with each other.

I don't know the ideal setup, but it would seem to make more sense, be cheaper, and more efficient to just have one integrated module that controls everything. Right now updating or adding one feature may require rewriting software in several different modules.
I think you explained the problem very well.

But only Ford can explain why when they unveiled the latest generation. F150, they promised robust over the air updates that not only improved performance, but added new features.

I remember watching the reveal of the 2021 F150. They made it a big point.

I guess you can say it was their first swing at it so I don’t hold it against him too much… But they really didn’t know what they were doing
Sponsored

Fast87t

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
Looks like mine. If you pull up to a wall does your front camera still activate?
Did you ever get your 360 camera view the right size as it originally was and the camera activation at a wall to work yet?

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Man this is a long thread... can anyone give me a TLDR summary?

I have this CSP but am unaware of what if/any problem that I have.

Is this worth the risk/hassle of bringing it in and having them screw something else up?

sfringer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Man this is a long thread... can anyone give me a TLDR summary?

I have this CSP but am unaware of what if/any problem that I have.

Is this worth the risk/hassle of bringing it in and having them screw something else up?
Seeing as you have a '22, you run the potential to encounter the smaller 360 camera view if the tech does not run the 360 camera configurator after the update.

Sponsored

BMac1203

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Seeing as you have a '22, you run the potential to encounter the smaller 360 camera view if the tech does not run the 360 camera configurator after the update.
And the front camera not activating issue.

I don't have the small 360deg camera issue on my 22, but do have the no front camera on approach issue.

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
And the front camera not activating issue.

I don't have the small 360deg camera issue on my 22, but do have the no front camera on approach issue.
Have you ever used FORScan on your truck? I have. I am wondering if something we have changed may have caused it

Mine has been at the dealer for over a week and they cant figure it out, it worked fine before the CSP, though.

BMac1203

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Have you ever used FORScan on your truck? I have. I am wondering if something we have changed may have caused it

Mine has been at the dealer for over a week and they cant figure it out, it worked fine before the CSP, though.
I have never used Forscan. Same here - dealer cannot figure it out.
Sponsored