Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
Rant on:
I have an issue and finally involved Ford support. My setup:
1. FCSP installed 55ish feet of wire from circuit breaker, 100 amp, direct run with electrician installed wiring. FCSP installed inside garage.
2. Disconnect box installed just above FCSP so I can shut it off without turning off circuit breaker.
3. Amperage dial set to 7 (80 amps) in FCSP
4. Shiny white cover removed to allow what little dissipation of heat can be radiated.
5. FCSP mounted with about 3 inches of air space behind the box. Not planned but that's how it turned out.
6. Truck is 23 Lariat ER.

I usually set the max charge power to 48 or 60 amps through FordPass and as far as I know it is used by the FCSP because of charge rate during various charge sessions.
When I plug into the FCSP, I usually see a pulsing blue light when commo between truck and EVSE are initiated along with a solid yellow light on the right side. Pulsing blue light turns solid after a minute or less, yellow turns off and FordPass will usually say waiting for charge time. According to the manual, solid yellow means FCSP is charging at a reduced rate.
I took that to mean it was reduced because I told it to be reduced.
I recently took a road trip from Phoenix metro area to El Paso and back. When I returned I was down to about 25-27% and wanted to charge back to 85% during the five hour time slot my electric provider has for reduced EV charging rates so I set the max charge rate to 80 in FordPass. The app indicated the charge rate was changed, however, when I plugged in the charging started immediately, said the charge would be complete by the 0500 end of EVSE rates and the yellow reduced rate LED was on time was about 2PM. The charge rate the truck was getting was approximately 10.2-10.5 amps or about 44Kw according to FordPass.

Ambient temperature during this charge attempt was in the 80s.

After talking to Ford support, the response I received is that the FCSP is probably overheating, since they don't show any issues on their end. Isn't overheating an issue??? Hard to believe @ 80F ambient. Summertime around here OK, but not at 80. Their recommendation was to have electrician turn down the max charge rate inside FCSP, kind of negates having paid for a 100 amp circuit to support a not so 80 amp EVSE.

Couple of questions:
1. Anybody else have this issue in 80ish ambient temps?
2. Do the two AC to DC chargers inside the truck throw DTCs if there is a problem? I looked for DTCs today with FDRS and didn't see any current or past/permanent at all.
3. What module controls the AC to DC chargers?

Any suggestions would be welcome. As I indicated earlier, I normally don't use 80 amps but I paid to have the system installed to use 80 amps if I wanted and not being able to is just P>>>>sing me off.
Rant kinda off!
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Good luck. The software limit setting has been unreliable since the truck launched.

It has nothing to do with the ambient temperature. It has everything to do with the software settings not saving to the device, even though it says the setting was saved. I gave up on it and now just adjust the dial when I want to change the amperage.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I've read updating the FCSP software can sometimes solve issues. I have a FCSP installed on a 100A circuit. One of the first times I charged it cutout. I don't have internet access there so I derated the charger to 64A and it's performed flawlessly since then.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Your issue IS NOT temperature related.

The problem is the poor communications from Fordpass to cloud database to the truck to inform it that you want the OBC charge controller to negotiate with the EVSE for an adjusted charge rate, it's extremely unreliable in honoring the change requested.

OP
OP

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Good luck. The software limit setting has been unreliable since the truck launched.

It has nothing to do with the ambient temperature. It has everything to do with the software settings not saving to the device, even though it says the setting was saved. I gave up on it and now just adjust the dial when I want to change the amperage.
I seem to have the opposite problem though, FCSP is set to 80 but it does not charge at 80.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Your issue IS NOT temperature related.

The problem is the poor communications from Fordpass to cloud database to the truck to inform it that you want the OBC charge controller to negotiate with the EVSE for an adjusted charge rate, it's extremely unreliable in honoring the change requested.
So, how then do I get it to charge at 80?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
So, how then do I get it to charge at 80?
Keep trying to make the adjustment, I've done various things to coax it to return to the default 80 amps, make sure you're not actively charging, you're not plugged into the truck, make the change via the Fordpass app, in the past I've played with adjusting the friendly name of the station at the same time I'm making the amperage adjustment, sometimes it causes the change to stick.

After making these changes, power cycle the breaker to the FCSP, power up, give it 5-15 minutes to restore communications with the cloud server, then check the status in Fordpass.

Resume chargings.

OP
OP

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Keep trying to make the adjustment, I've done various things to coax it to return to the default 80 amps, make sure you're not actively charging, you're not plugged into the truck, make the change via the Fordpass app, in the past I've played with adjusting the friendly name of the station at the same time I'm making the amperage adjustment, sometimes it causes the change to stick.

After making these changes, power cycle the breaker to the FCSP, power up, give it 5-15 minutes to restore communications with the cloud server, then check the status in Fordpass.

Resume chargings.
I'll give it a shot.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I seem to have the opposite problem though, FCSP is set to 80 but it does not charge at 80.
Because you had it software adjusted to a lower amperage and now you're trying to set it higher. It's absolutely the problem you're having.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Because you had it software adjusted to a lower amperage and now you're trying to set it higher. It's absolutely the problem you're having.
Exactly. Early on, I lowered my charge rate in FordPass and when I went to restore it to 80A, it failed. I was persistent and it finally took the 80A setting. I haven’t touched it since.

Fortunately, I have 2 EVSEs, the other being a 48A Ford Connected Charge Station. I normally plug it into the Lightning and use the FCSP on the Mach-E. So both charge at 48A, but if I need to charge the truck faster, I can.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Rant on:
I have an issue and finally involved Ford support. My setup:
1. FCSP installed 55ish feet of wire from circuit breaker, 100 amp, direct run with electrician installed wiring. FCSP installed inside garage.
2. Disconnect box installed just above FCSP so I can shut it off without turning off circuit breaker.
3. Amperage dial set to 7 (80 amps) in FCSP
4. Shiny white cover removed to allow what little dissipation of heat can be radiated.
5. FCSP mounted with about 3 inches of air space behind the box. Not planned but that's how it turned out.
6. Truck is 23 Lariat ER.

I usually set the max charge power to 48 or 60 amps through FordPass and as far as I know it is used by the FCSP because of charge rate during various charge sessions.
When I plug into the FCSP, I usually see a pulsing blue light when commo between truck and EVSE are initiated along with a solid yellow light on the right side. Pulsing blue light turns solid after a minute or less, yellow turns off and FordPass will usually say waiting for charge time. According to the manual, solid yellow means FCSP is charging at a reduced rate.
I took that to mean it was reduced because I told it to be reduced.
I recently took a road trip from Phoenix metro area to El Paso and back. When I returned I was down to about 25-27% and wanted to charge back to 85% during the five hour time slot my electric provider has for reduced EV charging rates so I set the max charge rate to 80 in FordPass. The app indicated the charge rate was changed, however, when I plugged in the charging started immediately, said the charge would be complete by the 0500 end of EVSE rates and the yellow reduced rate LED was on time was about 2PM. The charge rate the truck was getting was approximately 10.2-10.5 amps or about 44Kw according to FordPass.

Ambient temperature during this charge attempt was in the 80s.

After talking to Ford support, the response I received is that the FCSP is probably overheating, since they don't show any issues on their end. Isn't overheating an issue??? Hard to believe @ 80F ambient. Summertime around here OK, but not at 80. Their recommendation was to have electrician turn down the max charge rate inside FCSP, kind of negates having paid for a 100 amp circuit to support a not so 80 amp EVSE.

Couple of questions:
1. Anybody else have this issue in 80ish ambient temps?
2. Do the two AC to DC chargers inside the truck throw DTCs if there is a problem? I looked for DTCs today with FDRS and didn't see any current or past/permanent at all.
3. What module controls the AC to DC chargers?

Any suggestions would be welcome. As I indicated earlier, I normally don't use 80 amps but I paid to have the system installed to use 80 amps if I wanted and not being able to is just P>>>>sing me off.
Rant kinda off!
I have had this problem in the past, and the only way it seemed to be rectified was:

Resume chargings.
this has always worked for me!
Sponsored