Anyone try using a welder yet?

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
Just curious if anyone tried a welder on the pro7.2. Was it tempermental? 120 or 240? What model welder? Stick or wire. I would like to try a miller 211 wire welder. It can run 120 or 240. I think on 240 it would be a good match for the pro7.2. Hope someone has some experience with this.
Sponsored

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
Don't have the answers you seek, but I watched this video and they did try welding with the 120v.

Dr. Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 3 old Flathead Fords
Occupation
Engineer
You will find other threads on this forum were there have been reports of problems with welders (tripped circuit breakers).
I have two wire welders (one on 120 and one on 240). I just picked up my lighting last week and will not be testing them until next week, but I can report problems with my air-compressors on both 120V and 240V. On 240V I have nuisance tripping of the breaker which is not observed with the same unit on the grid or on my old generator. The 120V compressor is 2 hp and rated for 11 amps, but trips the circuit within one second of attempted start on the lightning (frunk or bed outlets), but works OK on the generator and fine on the grid. In general it seems that the inverters in the ford do not like inductive or surge loads, and work best with resistive loads. So great for camping but pathetic on the work-site.
I will provide an update after I play with the welders...

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
In general it seems that the inverters in the ford do not like inductive or surge loads, and work best with resistive loads. So great for camping but pathetic on the work-site.
I haven't tried to run an air compressor or a welder. That said, I haven't had any trouble with a big Bosch chipping hammer, a DeWalt circle saw, a 14" Porter-Cable chop saw (really meant for cutting aluminum siding, but we use it with a demo blade to shorten the occasional fire log that won't fit in our woodstove - it works hard!), my Metabo contractor saw, or a DeWalt corded angle grinder. So far, so good with 120V tools, including two at once on the outlets that are on separate legs. Maybe I'd be less happy if I were using 240V tools.

Lightningwaiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Construction
Just curious if anyone tried a welder on the pro7.2. Was it tempermental? 120 or 240? What model welder? Stick or wire. I would like to try a miller 211 wire welder. It can run 120 or 240. I think on 240 it would be a good match for the pro7.2. Hope someone has some experience with this.
I have run circular saws (and fridges)-13amp and 15amp as well as a concrete saw and the truck is amazing on the middle of nowhere. It is a great question so look forward to hearing back.

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
I've used my jackhammer (120V, but no idea what kind of motor it uses) with the Lightning, for about 5 hours with no trouble. I have just recently managed to dig out my welders and have a welding job to do sometime this week, so will be running my grinder and 120V flux-core wire-feed welder in a day or two. Will try to remember to report back.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
This thread began life when the Lightning forum was a subsidiary of the host ICE forum.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/

Pay attention to age of threads prior to spring on 2022.

Ragman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightnings - SR XLT, ER XLT, ER Lariat - 2024
The ProPower uses software breakers - ie 3601 amps and it turns off 240v circuit. Any tool that has a startup load will likely leave you cursing (compressors/AC/etc).

That said the information you can get watching screen as a tool cycles is invaluable - watch an air compressor as watts increase as psi in tank rises.

For those planning to run campers, soft starts are critical for not tripping when AC starts. I havent tried my welder, low settings I suspect okay but not hopeful if I turn it up.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I run this Porter Cable compressor without issues.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone try using a welder yet? IMG_3233

Joe752

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Construction
You will find other threads on this forum were there have been reports of problems with welders (tripped circuit breakers).
I have two wire welders (one on 120 and one on 240). I just picked up my lighting last week and will not be testing them until next week, but I can report problems with my air-compressors on both 120V and 240V. On 240V I have nuisance tripping of the breaker which is not observed with the same unit on the grid or on my old generator. The 120V compressor is 2 hp and rated for 11 amps, but trips the circuit within one second of attempted start on the lightning (frunk or bed outlets), but works OK on the generator and fine on the grid. In general it seems that the inverters in the ford do not like inductive or surge loads, and work best with resistive loads. So great for camping but pathetic on the work-site.
I will provide an update after I play with the welders...
I'm having the same trouble trying to use my 240v welder. Even on the lowest setting, it trips the breaker or something.
Sponsored