• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone with a '24 Flash who can't fast DC charge?

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
I've heard a couple people can't fast DC charge their Flash. Anyone on this forum have that problem?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Watching.....

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
"I heard"

Where?

OP
OP
srspring551

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
"I heard"

Where?
from a contractor who has one and says the Dealer (can you ever trust them?) says Ford doesn’t have a fix yet….so this is 3rd hand I admit. I pointed them to the forum to post details.

Sponsored

Swolhak9

First Name
Lis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford Lightning Flash
Occupation
Solar /Ev installer
I've heard a couple people can't fast DC charge their Flash. Anyone on this forum have that problem?
Thank you for forwarding the forum and posting this @srspring551 !

We are the new owner of the 24 Flash that he is referring to above that cannot DC fast charge. Some context: We install EV chargers, solar and battery backup off-grid systems for clients and this is our 6th EV so we are not new to EVs or chargers.

We were on a trip down to southern Wisconsin and on our way back home needed a bit of electrons to get us back to our shop. Tried 3 DC fast chargers at different locations and each one tripped out within 5 min. Thankfully we were able to get enough to get home in those 3 attempts. We have tested 8 other charging stations in different locations to rule out the chargers. Each charger if over 74kw will eventually within 2 - 10 minutes fault the charger stating the truck is overheating. The cable gets extremely hot and then faults out the charger.

Level 2 charging works just fine along with the rest of the truck.

Called Ford directly and they said they have a TSB out on our truck so I scheduled the truck to go in 2 weeks ago. The truck faulted out for the service tech and on the dealership charger. Ford told the tech they don't have a fix and they will get back to them. Tech told me they would call me in a couple of days to see what the engineers at Ford say. I did not hear back so I have been calling them every few days with no response until today finally.

The dealership sent the attached screenshot. We have an appointment for next Tuesday to have them read out the modules listed in the text.

Just looking for insight if anyone else is having a similar or the same issue.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone with a '24 Flash who can't fast DC charge? IMG955038_1724184531249

Swolhak9

First Name
Lis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford Lightning Flash
Occupation
Solar /Ev installer
That's not normal, take to dealer to check the port connections.
Yes we are aware as we have other EV's and also install chargers. It was at the dealership a couple weeks ago and is scheduled again next Tuesday.

Ferroxide

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning-Flash
2 months into ownership of a '24 Flash and no issues with DC Charging. I did notice a drop in available mileage(310 to 290) at 90% charge after my first trip using DC chargers.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
2 months into ownership of a '24 Flash and no issues with DC Charging. I did notice a drop in available mileage(310 to 290) at 90% charge after my first trip using DC chargers.
This is more likely to be coincidence that the truck has learned how you drive a bit and adjusted it's figures around the same time you DC charged than it is to be related to anything changing because you DC charged.

Ferroxide

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning-Flash
This is more likely to be coincidence that the truck has learned how you drive a bit and adjusted it's figures around the same time you DC charged than it is to be related to anything changing because you DC charged.
So, capacity will change that quickly? Seems like a precipitous drop from previous available levels of charge.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
So, capacity will change that quickly? Seems like a precipitous drop from previous available levels of charge.
Yes. They don't call it the Guess-O-Meter for nothing. It looks at your recent driving efficiency and assumes you will be doing more of the same under the same weather conditions. So doing some highly efficient city driving will increase the range estimates, and doing high speed highways will reduce it.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
It's not your capacity. It's a guess at how far your current state of charge will get you.
Sponsored