• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery consumption since recent updates

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone else noticed higher battery consumption since the recent barrage of updates?

I usually use 17 to 18% battery on each leg of my commute. After the update, I'm using 20%. Same tire pressure, no climate being used, same mi/kWh. It just doesn't make sense.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Well one of the updates was specifically designed to address a purported issue with mileage estimates so it’s likely you’re seeing the result. Not saying it’s right just saying you’re seeing the result.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
That update was about the Guess-o-meter, the estimated miles remaining. Sounds like @Pioneer74 is referring to actual usage, the battery % SOC before and after.

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone else noticed higher battery consumption since the recent barrage of updates?

I usually use 17 to 18% battery on each leg of my commute. After the update, I'm using 20%. Same tire pressure, no climate being used, same mi/kWh. It just doesn't make sense.
Nope no change in mine. Other than the GOM has been higher range. :)

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
No climate being used? Like, HVAC is off completely? Is this for efficiency? Do you roll the window down?

I'm genuinely curious. I set the temperature to what I think will make me comfortable and adjust it if I'm not comfortable. Auto does all the work. Is this not the best way to go about this?🤔

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
There are two energy consumption listed related to weather, are they both the same? Perhaps your battery is requesting cooling?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I just recently got the update after coming home from a vacation. Truck was parked in 100-110F for 10 days. I had the same % SoC as when I left it. Kinda surprised me, I thought it would have used at least a little to keep the battery cool.

I've only made one trip since the update but seemed about average. Won't know for sure until I resume my typical commute on Thursday. What was the most recent update you received?

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
No climate being used? Like, HVAC is off completely? Is this for efficiency? Do you roll the window down?

I'm genuinely curious. I set the temperature to what I think will make me comfortable and adjust it if I'm not comfortable. Auto does all the work. Is this not the best way to go about this?🤔
I have the fan running without AC or heat. I've changed nothing in my routine, but after the updates, I'm using more battery and my efficiency shows the same as before.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
That update was about the Guess-o-meter, the estimated miles remaining. Sounds like @Pioneer74 is referring to actual usage, the battery % SOC before and after.
This. I'm not talking about the GOM. I don't pay attention to that anymore. Ford had an accurate GOM when the truck launched and then they screwed it up. I only pay attention to battery percentage now.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
There are two energy consumption listed related to weather, are they both the same? Perhaps your battery is requesting cooling?
I'll check that on my way home from work. But the weather hasn't changed and it was at 0 the last time I looked.

Sponsored

DJSJOEKS

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariet ER Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired Ford Engineer

My estimated miles went up since last update. Charged to 100% because my son was coming into town and needed a vehicle to drive...estimated miles was 380. Previously was never higher than 340.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
My estimated miles went up since last update. Charged to 100% because my son was coming into town and needed a vehicle to drive...estimated miles was 380. Previously was never higher than 340.
I'm not looking at estimated miles. I'm talking about actual battery percentage after the recent updates compared to previous consumption.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

I have, it happened somewhere around 1.5 weeks ago, and I don’t think it’s just the GOM.

I’ve been doing a 550 mile trip regularly. I typically start with 100%, single stop and I’m there. After the last update, I’m needing to stop twice. It’s driving me nuts trying to figure out where I’m losing energy.

Real world miles I’m getting 230-250 out of my Lariat ER vs 270-290 on the same route. I haven’t run her to empty but she’s been down to 2%..

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery consumption since recent updates IMG_4087

I’m used to seeing ~290 miles at 90%. Even in the winter in single digit temps I never saw less than 250 miles at 90%, so this is odd.

Last edited:

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Ford might be doing some more aggressive battery cooling with the recent updates. But that's just a guess.

After a road trip in 90F+ temps, I parked it with 16% SoC. Was surprised to find it down to 11% the next morning.

The truck was shutoff and pro power was turned off. Before this, my truck never lost more than 1% overnight - usually it took about 2 weeks of sitting before it even lost 1%.

I did notice that after this round of updates, my battery temp gauge actually moves from the previously rock steady 50% mark - I've seen it as high as around 75% (estimated since it's not marked) after a fast charge in hot weather.

Wondering if whatever logic they added to fix the battery temp gauge now causes the cooling to kick in more often.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Well, I found my missing battery percentage.

Charged to 85% last night. As soon as I unplugged, it dropped to 83%.

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery consumption since recent updates Screenshot_20230705_072603_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery consumption since recent updates Screenshot_20230705_075438_Gallery

And, ironically, I had my best efficiency ever this morning on my commute.

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery consumption since recent updates Screenshot_20230705_083930_Gallery
Sponsored

Last edited: