Sponsored

BC1.4 is coming soon in early 2024 according to Ford FAQ

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
well, I did not realize there are trucks with 1.4 already.

I thought we were all waiting on it to be pushed to us organically.

Reading on this thread in the history with some cars getting bricked I hope that doesn’t mean the updates never come
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
well, I did not realize there are trucks with 1.4 already.

I thought we were all waiting on it to be pushed to us organically.

Reading on this thread in the history with some cars getting bricked I hope that doesn’t mean the updates never come
The trucks here that are on BC 1.4 did it with a combination of FDRS and FORScan. It has not been sent out OTA yet.

OP
OP

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Gas F150 is less likely to brick during update as it has much bigger 12v AGM battery as well as it uses much less power during FDRS upgrade
I see on the f150gen14 forum, people are reporting success even with 20Amp Power supply

I broke my F150 Lightning Twice during IPMA upgrade due to 20amp charger is not enough power, then later on I decide just parallel RV battery and it works pretty well (I still plug charger on the RV battery)

I am getting an 800W bi-direction 12v-48v dc-dc converter, and hopefully, that would be the end of the power issue. (bought for RV, but also will work perfectly for FDRS upgrade)

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas F150 is less likely to brick during update as it has much bigger 12v AGM battery as well as it uses much less power during FDRS upgrade
I see on the f150gen14 forum, people are reporting success even with 20Amp Power supply

I broke my F150 Lightning Twice during IPMA upgrade due to 20amp charger is not enough power, then later on I decide just parallel RV battery and it works pretty well (I still plug charger on the RV battery)

I am getting an 800W bi-direction 12v-48v dc-dc converter, and hopefully, that would be the end of the power issue. (bought for RV, but also will work perfectly for FDRS upgrade)
Hearing what you and others are saying about the power requirements, just blow my mind.

What hope do we have to ever get these updates over the air if it takes a 40 amp charger or power supply to do it at home?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Hearing what you and others are saying about the power requirements, just blow my mind.

What hope do we have to ever get these updates over the air if it takes a 40 amp charger or power supply to do it at home?
Looks like it’s Slim to None and Slim just left the building.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I find your words sad and painful. 😭
Yes, it pains me to say, but it’s been nearly a year since the original announcement of its coming availability in the fall of 2023.

The price FIRD quoted for this feature on top of their inability to update the software is bound to be the nail their fee for services strategy. At least anytime in the near future.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So if the updates are taking hours to complete with FRDS, how do they expect it to be done on via OTA?

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
I just completed the updates last night and even with a 50amp power supply running full out the voltage got dangerously low a few times. It complete successfully though. I don't see how that would ever happen OTA unless they give the truck the ability to feed off the HV battery while updating.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales

This is the reason the updates for BC 1.4 are on hold. It bricked a few Mach E's in early access that got the update sent to it last December and radio silence since then. Even the 2.8.3 OTA that activated BC 1.0 on job 1 F150's was a nightmare to go through on the ICE trucks with the bigger battery a few years back. Eventually, Ford stopped sending the update completely and skipped to the 3.x.x updates leaving people who didn't get it to have to depend on the dealer to get BC working. I would not be surprised if this ends up the same way.

Sponsored

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the reason the updates for BC 1.4 are on hold. It bricked a few Mach E's in early access that got the update sent to it last December and radio silence since then. Even the 2.8.3 OTA that activated BC 1.0 on job 1 F150's was a nightmare to go through on the ICE trucks with the bigger battery a few years back. Eventually, Ford stopped sending the update completely and skipped to the 3.x.x updates leaving people who didn't get it to have to depend on the dealer to get BC working. I would not be surprised if this ends up the same way.
Obviously, I’m not an engineer, but it is so confusing to hear of cars with massive batteries dying. From lack of power. I understand the 12 V is separate, but is there not some mechanism to only allow the updates to install when the car is plugged in to, a charger or something?

I’ve got an 80 amp charger at home. It should be enough enough to power my truck while it’s installing a stinking update lol

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm sure there's a reason, but why can't the HVB be connected and top up the LVB during the install? Or is it but it's not able to supply enough power?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Obviously, I’m not an engineer, but it is so confusing to hear of cars with massive batteries dying. From lack of power. I understand the 12 V is separate, but is there not some mechanism to only allow the updates to install when the car is plugged in to, a charger or something?

I’ve got an 80 amp charger at home. It should be enough enough to power my truck while it’s installing a stinking update lol
When an OTA gets sent, there is a script within the update package that checks the capacity and state of charge of the LVB. If it meets the criteria, the update attempts to install. If it does not, then it will try again once a day for 30 days until the OTA trigger expires and you have to wait for it to be resent.

lol 80amps will more than suffice.

I'm sure there's a reason, but why can't the HVB be connected and top up the LVB during the install? Or is it but it's not able to supply enough power?
Not sure, but the HVB only charges the LVB while the vehicle is running. However, for OTA's that require the vehicle to be parked and inhibited while the update installs, this does not work. Maybe because when the vehicle is in inhibit mode, many modules within the network are in full sleep mode and perhaps this prevents whatever mechanism within the car is that allows the HVB to charge the LVB from functioning? Honestly, I don't know. Just like I don't know why the battery heat pumps turn on while installing updates with FDRS if the car is not running. Many people have reported the windshield wipers going off during certain module updates, too.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E

For this vehicle architecture, there is no mechanism to wake or sleep individual modules (PCM, BCM, APIM, etc.). It's all or nothing, all modules are awake or all are sleeping. So if you want to update the ABS module via OTA, you have to wake the whole vehicle. Having the whole vehicle awake creates a substantial load on the 12v battery. That's dumb, right? Legacy hardware only has this capability.

So why not use the high voltage battery to charge the 12v battery during an OTA? There are technical reasons why this is not possible, and most are related to the capabilities of many of the legacy modules being used in this vehicle. The "inhibit" process used for updates, in general, is unable to keep the BECM and related modules functional during an OTA, hence the DC/DC charger can't be kept active during an OTA. No DC/DC charger, no 12v battery charging.

So why wasn't this limitation designed around from the start? Because it wouldn't have been solved today even if design was ongoing (and it is ongoing).

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When an OTA gets sent, there is a script within the update package that checks the capacity and state of charge of the LVB. If it meets the criteria, the update attempts to install. If it does not, then it will try again once a day for 30 days until the OTA trigger expires and you have to wait for it to be resent.

lol 80amps will more than suffice.

Not sure, but the HVB only charges the LVB while the vehicle is running. However, for OTA's that require the vehicle to be parked and inhibited while the update installs, this does not work. Maybe because when the vehicle is in inhibit mode, many modules within the network are in full sleep mode and perhaps this prevents whatever mechanism within the car is that allows the HVB to charge the LVB from functioning? Honestly, I don't know. Just like I don't know why the battery heat pumps turn on while installing updates with FDRS if the car is not running. Many people have reported the windshield wipers going off during certain module updates, too.
To be clear, I was joking my about 80A EVSE
Sponsored