• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BCM Updates, APIM Updates and Walk Away Lock Feature

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
I do. I took my truck in for some recall work and the dealer updated something. The toggle isn’t in sync, but it works well with PAAK. A feature I really wanted and glad I have it
Same here. Ran some updates in FDRS, and the truck started locking itself (but I haven't found any way to turn it on/off).
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I have not had all of these problems. In fact, I have had no issues at all so far with this truck. I took it to the dealer and asked for some specific updates. They told me that pushing the updates I was requesting COULD cause all of these problems. In my opinion, it was a scare tactic because for whatever reason they do not want to do it. Well it worked as I was not going to take a chance on creating problems that did not exist nor that Ford has a solution for. Service after the sale is just non-existent these days.
No, I think some of those updates were pulled because they bricked some trucks (made them into expensive paper weights), so not a scare tactic imho.

The problem is Ford doesn't have code writers who are professional and experienced enough NOT to roll out updates that are not fully vetted, tested, and certified by some independent testing company (preferable to in-house)...especially necessary for something that can go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye!

Read some of the posts people put here when an update really messed up their vehicle's operation.

Then I think it would be clear to you that maybe, hopefully, the dealership was protecting you from bad updates and covering their (FORD's too) butts in case they bricked your truck or caused more problems than they fixed.

The problems the software have are annoying, but at least the things moves down the road.

Antimater

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Show me an F-150 Lightning screen with this option, and I'll take it back. Not Fordpass for an unnamed vehicle. Until then, I'll say I haven't seen it confirmed yet.
I have the update but disabled WAL as it was annoying to always need to unlock the truck. Where I live I'm not worried about needing to lock my vehicles.

Ford F-150 Lightning BCM Updates, APIM Updates and Walk Away Lock Feature IMG_1396

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Thank you. I now stand corrected.
And apparently you never clicked the link I provided to the post where I described how to add the toggles to the Sync lock section and posted the screenshot with it shown there, from back in May.

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
This is all true, but you have to consider that the truck is taking up valuable stall space as you cannot hook up the 12V charger and FDRS computer in the parking lot. So while the truck is sitting in a bay, they cannot work on another vehicle in that bay. And you are asking the dealership to do this without getting paid by Ford to do it. If I was a service manager and had to prioritize installing updates that Ford isn't going to pay me for or put a vehicle in the stall that is going to get me paid I know what I am choosing.

Its not the dealer's fault.
When first attempting to get a software push months ago for a warrentee issue, same thing happened to me, pay the dealer $179 and we will do it NOW. So therefore When “wanting” the software done on demand rather than waiting for OTA to “happen” or when Ford decides to push, u just gotta wait. Wish I knew that beforehand but caveat emptor I suppose but the dealer sales guys will tell u anything. When I asked sales “hey what about this software ….” They said yeah just go over to service and they will hook it up and take care of it. lol yeah right Santa and the Easter bunny right

fvineyard

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER, 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 5
Occupation
IT Manager
I have the update but disabled WAL as it was annoying to always need to unlock the truck. Where I live I'm not worried about needing to lock my vehicles.

IMG_1396.jpg
Are you sure that is not an interior shot of a random Mach-E :)

Just kidding of course. I could not resist :)

I am so bad....

(edited) to add 'I am ashamed too'

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
I think the 107 MPH limit has more to do with the rating of the tires than ford just wanting to babysit your top speed. 107mph seems reasonable to me in a 8000 lb truck
LOL at 8,000lbs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ford F-150 Lightning BCM Updates, APIM Updates and Walk Away Lock Feature IMG_6092

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Note from overly educated person: Since it's the kinetic energy of the vehicle that's going to turn everything into hamburger during a sudden stop, and the kinetic energy is proportional to 1/2mv^2, I'd worry about the speed more than the weight. At 107 mph, hamburger is in the making whether you're traveling in a vehicle weighing 2,000 lbs or 8,000 lbs since the kinetic energy to be dissipated is only directly proportional to the mass but more dramatically proportional to the velocity squared, e.g., four times as much force is involved stopping a vehicle traveling at 40 mph vs. 20 mph, etc. 25 times as much g force stopping a vehicle traveling at 100 mph vs. 20 mph.

Sponsored

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Thank you for helping make my point. Splitting hairs over the 1000 pounds empty vs loaded isnt much.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
@Green1

sounds like you are overthinking it here.

You need a better lawyer. You can’t be responsible for an update that hasn’t been pushed to your vin.

just because a module update is available via fdrs, doesn’t mean your truck is not immediately up to date, thus having you in non compliance with your warranty.

its ford (very known and documented by ford) not to update modules under warranty charges except in cases where a module update addresses a specific problem your truck is exhibiting.

I think it’s best to quote the wordsmith, Frankie, who said it best “Relax”
Sponsored