• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can't buy a vehicle if it is going to strand me

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
There's a recall the applies to both EV and ICE 12 battery management module in Fords. The module prevented software updates from occurring. Get the VIN and get a report of all maintenance services performed on it.
12V issues exist across many brands and models - Nissan Leaf, Kia EV6, etc. They are almost all still lead-acid chemistry and an EV maintains them differently than an ICE that recharges it every time the engine is running. Manufacturer's often don't do a great job maintaining them, causing then to have a shorter service life than in an ICE (though they can be smaller).
Sponsored

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
12V issues exist across many brands and models - Nissan Leaf, Kia EV6, etc. They are almost all still lead-acid chemistry and an EV maintains them differently than an ICE that recharges it every time the engine is running. Manufacturer's often don't do a great job maintaining them, causing then to have a shorter service life than in an ICE (though they can be smaller).
There is a specific recall on Ford Lightnings. And the recall affected other Ford models. OP was pondering the risk travelling long distance in a Lightning they are interested in purchasing. I referenced this specific recall as something the OP needs to confirm resolution, before considering a long distance trip in the vehicle.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
There is a specific recall on Ford Lightnings. And the recall affected other Ford models. OP was pondering the risk travelling long distance in a Lightning they are interested in purchasing. I referenced this specific recall as something the OP needs to confirm resolution, before considering a long distance trip in the vehicle.
Ok, but this is definitely not the point of my comments on the 12V battery and you quoted me. It does speak to a 12V system issues generally, but I don't see why the state of that module update would cause anyone to get stranded in a Lightning, other than maybe not having access to Supercharger sites if the NACS update hasn't been applied.

dajohn3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
I find your lack of confidence and planning your downfall, at least for your attitude about this excellent MACHINE : over 44,000 miles on my PRO, and not a single issue, and I DC Fast Charge a LOT... but I also plan. Period.

I tow our camper a LOT, over 20,000 miles so far:

I've now debunked your assertion.
How did you debunk my assertion? The 98 KW only gets a range of 120 miles at 90 percent charge. Each time you charge to 90 percent it takes 66 minutes of your time and these are facts. You tow your camper alot but how far can you pull it before you have to recharge? If I can only go 120 miles max, while driving 65 mph on cruise, without anything in my 98KW truck then how far do you think I will be able to go while pulling 5000 pounds? My 525 mile route is set in stone along with the charging station locations but my truck does not always get the range while on the same route, going the same speed and that is why I took it into the dealership to be worked on 4 times but they can't find anything wrong with it. Van Horn and Junction are the two charging station problems where the chargers sometimes do not work and there aren't any backups along the route so you do the math. I am not talking about city driving only long distance driving. In the city the truck is a dream come true but the truck is not for long distance driving and that is another fact. So to put your mind at ease I will attach a couple of pictures to give you some other facts about charging to 100 percent. In the metropolitan areas where there are many charging stations you will get a reading of 234 or so miles on your display and on the road, in the middle of nowhere, you will get 185 miles of range at 100 percent. Now here is another fact: the speed to which you drive, the abient temperature, the number of times you have to fast charge along your route, whether it is raining, the route itself, the weight you are hauling, all play a role in how far you can drive. So at 45 mph on a freeway you might be able to make it 234 miles at 100 percent and on cruise control on your first leg of your trip. If you charge to 100 percent again that day you will find that the distance you can travel will go down based on what will be on the display but do you really ever get the distance that is on the display? When I drove from Van Horn to Ft Stockton at 100 percent charge, on cruise control set at 77 mph, I had 24 percent of charge left when I reached the Ft Stockton charging station and that distance is 117 miles from charger to charger. I have more pictures that I can show you but everyone's truck is a bit different in how much range you can achieve, right! You must be getting a lot more range than my truck gets while driving long distance pulling a trailer and that is why I asked Ford to buy back the vehicle because there must be something seriously wrong with my battery if I cannot achieve the same fantastic results as what you all have been writing about.

Ford F-150 Lightning Can't buy a vehicle if it is going to strand me Home 100 percent

Ford F-150 Lightning Can't buy a vehicle if it is going to strand me Van Horn 100 percent (1)

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ok, but this is definitely not the point of my comments on the 12V battery and you quoted me. It does speak to a 12V system issues generally, but I don't see why the state of that module update would cause anyone to get stranded in a Lightning, other than maybe not having access to Supercharger sites if the NACS update hasn't been applied.
You were talking about 12v issues.. 🤗

Sponsored

dajohn3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
That has not been my experience at all. This is a recent trip, we were not pushing them range because some of our stops were also shopping trips. The truck was absolutely stuffed on the way home and she shows up with a giant hanging plant of some sort….

IMG_1487.jpeg
You are going very short distances with your truck. I have been driving 525 miles in a day. Short distances are not what I am complaining about because the truck is great for the city. Once you get out of the city in Texas you are confined to just 5 charging stations in between your start and end of the trip. When one charging station is down on your route you are stuck there until you can get a hotel and slow charge your vehicle at the hotel or just have your vehicle towed. There aren't too many options when this happens. My trucks range seems to be a lot lower than everyone else's here on the forum but Ford doesn't seem to want to address the issue I have with my truck. So I am just making sure that those who are on the brink of purchasing a $60000 vehicle have all of the facts upfront so they can make an informed decision on whether to buy one or not. From my experience with the lightning, I can't honestly recommend anyone to buy the 98KW version of the truck because the battery, in my opinion, is undersized by 25 KW so you can be able to get the range you need to pull a 7000 pound load and make it to each of the charging stations along my route here in Texas. The infrastructure for EV charging needs to be expanded, but when they expand, there will be a strain on the GRID so EV charging will take even longer. Unlike your truck, every time I get to a charging station my truck is almost empty and I am not even driving as fast as the speed limit permits. This issue has been addressed with Ford and the dealership that I purchased the truck from but they say that they can't find anything wrong with my truck. So the only thing that I can conclude is that all of the 98KW trucks get around the same range as mine does and everyone else is fudging on their trucks range with a 98KW battery pack as per Ford's saying that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. If I drive 80 mph with my truck, I get a 1.0 to 1.1 per KWH on my display. At 75 mph a 1.3 per KWH. At 70 mph a 1.4 reading, at 65 mph 1.4 to 1.5 and finally 60 mph a whopping 1.7 to 1.8. So while fast charging to 80 percent is optimal for the battery pack, I need to charge to 90 to 100 percent if I want to drive the speed limit on I-10 in Texas and make it to each charging station along the way. I am happy that you do not have any problems with your vehicle going the range that you normally drive but, as you can see by my remarks, every time I get on the freeway to go to my ranch I have a nightmare of a trip. It takes me 7.5 to 8.5 hours to drive to my ranch with my Ford Explorer and 12 to 13 hours to drive the distance with my Lightning. The additional time is spent with charging the vehicle to 90 percent. This is a fact of life with driving with an EV truck with a 98KW battery.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
@speedy123 ignore the guy above me. He's got a lemon and it's made him pretty bitter. I think he also got screwed by a salesman who didn't really evaluate his needs before selling him a vehicle. But he'll swear to high heaven that it's Ford and all of us that are wrong before he'll accept that the service people he's been taking it to don't know their ass from their elbows when it comes to an EV.

It does highlight an issue with buying Ford EVs. The service experience is so dependent on the dealer you go to. Some of them know F-all about EVs and refuse to learn. I had the supposed EV certified tech at one dealership go on a 15 minute rant of all the anti EV talking points you always hear while I was just trying to demonstrate that the camera is misaligned. Same camera on the Ice F150s.

Ask people on this forum that live near you which dealers are good and which are terrible. I have to drive 30 min across town to get decent service while I live <2 miles from a Ford dealer.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
How did you debunk my assertion? The 98 KW only gets a range of 120 miles at 90 percent charge. Each time you charge to 90 percent it takes 66 minutes of your time and these are facts.
If you're only getting 120 miles at 90% charge you have a huge problem with your efficiency. I average 2.3 miles per kw in my truck, so at 90% charge I can go around 200-210 miles. Now, the faster you go the lower your efficiency is going to be, but I don't think I've ever had 120 miles bad. Even at 1.7 miles per kw, I'd still be getting 150 miles or so. Additionally, you shouldn't be charging up to 90% at a dc fast charger; stop at 80%. The extra 10% takes too long and you'd be better served by just stopping again and charging again. I don't think I ever spent more than 30-45 minutes charging when I took my 2k mile round trip. Now, obviously if you don't have any choice due to lack of chargers, then yeah, but with the Tesla superchargers opening up there should be more options. You have to understand that the 240 miles quoted is for mixed driving, city and highway. If I'm driving in the city in stop and go traffic I can get 3-4 miles per kw. If I'm driving 70-75 on the highway I'd getting 1.7-1.8 usually. If you want better efficiency you have to slow down, but that doesn't always make sense.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
So the only thing that I can conclude is that all of the 98KW trucks get around the same range as mine does and everyone else is fudging on their trucks range with a 98KW battery pack as per Ford's saying that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. If I drive 80 mph with my truck, I get a 1.0 to 1.1 per KWH on my display. At 75 mph a 1.3 per KWH. At 70 mph a 1.4 reading, at 65 mph 1.4 to 1.5 and finally 60 mph a whopping 1.7 to 1.8.
Is your truck stock? No different tires or lifted or anything else? Those efficiencies do seem really bad; I'm assuming this isn't during the winter or anything too? On a level route?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
How did you debunk my assertion? The 98 KW only gets a range of 120 miles at 90 percent charge.

... that is why I asked Ford to buy back the vehicle because there must be something seriously wrong with my battery if I cannot achieve the same fantastic results as what you all have been writing about.
120 miles / 90% is not typical of my experience. Easily get a lot more miles than that in my Pro SR.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
He's got a lemon and it's made him pretty bitter. I think he also got screwed by a salesman who didn't really evaluate his needs before selling him a vehicle.
I'm not sure if it's a lemon as much as it it's the wrong truck for his use case. Anyone who has 'set in stone' regular 525 mile trips on 80 mph Texas highways should have purchased a truck with an extended range battery and still expect two charging stops. Or, stayed with an ICE or Powerboost. It may have been the salesman, but at some point someone didn't do their due diligence.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm not sure if it's a lemon as much as it it's the wrong truck for his use case. Anyone who has 'set in stone' regular 525 mile trips on 80 mph Texas highways should have purchased a truck with an extended range battery and still expect two charging stops. Or, stayed with an ICE or Powerboost. It may have been the salesman, but at some point someone didn't do their due diligence.
He mentioned towing 5000-7000lb trailers, that + Texas highway = crap efficiency. Not a lemon, just a lemonhead of a salesman that sold him the wrong truck for his needs. Long distance towing on a regular basis is NOT this truck's best use case. He needs to take half an hour to do some research and get something more appropriate for his needs.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
How did you debunk my assertion? The 98 KW only gets a range of 120 miles at 90 percent charge. Each time you charge to 90 percent it takes 66 minutes of your time....
I think you've answered all your own questions, but I don't understand you asserting that "98kw battery only gets 120miles, or that you 'have' to take 66mins to charge" ... neither of those are true, but both depend HEAVILY on all the items that effect range that you mention. The charge 'time' certainly depending on your battery SOC when you arrive, and the SPEED of the charging station.
NONE of those have anything to do with 'this truck' being a GREAT Machine and doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to do.

Mine works perfectly, although if you drive differently, and do things differently, yes, you are CERTAINLY going to have a different outcome: WE ALL DO.

Your complaints are about your own personal situation, not about the truck, itself.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Haven't read all 5 pages of comments so sorry if any of this is redundant. I consider my purchase the riskiest car/truck purchase I have made (Even with the warranty). The difference is that my wife was probably more interested than I was. Not because it was an EV but because it was a big truck. In hindsight the big part is a disadvantage because she refuses to drive it. If I had a choice, I would buy a smaller Electric Truck or an electric SUV that could tow (Like R1S). But my Pro was half the price of R1S and there was no truck Electric or ICE that could beat Lightning when all things are considered.

So as risky as it was I took the plunge partly because I am getting too old to defer any stupid decisions to a later date. That is what young people should do. All that said, my case is a lot like yours and not as risky as it sounds because we have an ICE in the family that will be around for a few more years.

The initial risk to bring the truck home is something marginal when it comes to HVB. It is mostly a matter of the extra travel time, inconvenience of charging and additional planning. Once that trip is over, taking your ICE on cross country is a wiser choice (I know there are members that disagree with me on this). Energy cost is the same or less with ICE on the road and if you break down near a gas station, the mechanic is less likely to freak out when they put it on the lift. I am not sure what your life is like but 95% of my driving is within my Pro's range. And the other 5% is shared between the ICE and the Lightning. I had no problem fast charging on a 500 mile road trip to Canada and back (but I left expecting challenges).

I totally get the invisible marital ledger. YOUR BAD decision if you break down is an asset for your wife that can come back to hunt you long after the trip is over. But you can consider that a gift to your wife. Something she can use when she wants something unnecessary.

This is a useful toy you will have to enjoy today as soon as you buy it. EV landscape is competitive and I have no doubt in a few years you will see another EV that is more efficient, more reliable and a better deal. If you buy it, you have to look at it as gadget purchase. Only if you have money to burn if you don't need the purchase now.

I can't speak to reliability since I only have 12K on my Pro but it has been perfect so far and looking back at my options at the time of purchase and afterward, I am still glad I made the move. It feels like replacing my gas lawnmower with a battery operated one. Life is simply better.

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
Haven't read all 5 pages of comments so sorry if any of this is redundant. I consider my purchase the riskiest car/truck purchase I have made (Even with the warranty). The difference is that my wife was probably more interested than I was. Not because it was an EV but because it was a big truck. In hindsight the big part is a disadvantage because she refuses to drive it. If I had a choice, I would buy a smaller Electric Truck or an electric SUV that could tow (Like R1S). But my Pro was half the price of R1S and there was no truck Electric or ICE that could beat Lightning when all things are considered.

So as risky as it was I took the plunge partly because I am getting too old to defer any stupid decisions to a later date. That is what young people should do. All that said, my case is a lot like yours and not as risky as it sounds because we have an ICE in the family that will be around for a few more years.

The initial risk to bring the truck home is something marginal when it comes to HVB. It is mostly a matter of the extra travel time, inconvenience of charging and additional planning. Once that trip is over, taking your ICE on cross country is a wiser choice (I know there are members that disagree with me on this). Energy cost is the same or less with ICE on the road and if you break down near a gas station, the mechanic is less likely to freak out when they put it on the lift. I am not sure what your life is like but 95% of my driving is within my Pro's range. And the other 5% is shared between the ICE and the Lightning. I had no problem fast charging on a 500 mile road trip to Canada and back (but I left expecting challenges).

I totally get the invisible marital ledger. YOUR BAD decision if you break down is an asset for your wife that can come back to hunt you long after the trip is over. But you can consider that a gift to your wife. Something she can use when she wants something unnecessary.

This is a useful toy you will have to enjoy today as soon as you buy it. EV landscape is competitive and I have no doubt in a few years you will see another EV that is more efficient, more reliable and a better deal. If you buy it, you have to look at it as gadget purchase. Only if you have money to burn if you don't need the purchase now.

I can't speak to reliability since I only have 12K on my Pro but it has been perfect so far and looking back at my options at the time of purchase and afterward, I am still glad I made the move. It feels like replacing my gas lawnmower with a battery operated one. Life is simply better.
Well said. Thank you.
Sponsored