Can't buy a vehicle if it is going to strand me

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The vehicle won't strand you. The charging network will. Plan your trip accordingly and you'll be fine.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
I was a long time follow of this forum, pretty much from as soon as it was started after the announcement of the lightning. My only concern with the truck was range anxiety in the off chance I have something pop up and take a long trip last minute. To cure that I bought the extended range. I love the truck, it does everything I need it to do! My wife was totally onboard with buying the lightning and I had just purchased a '24 Nissan Titan, which I hated.

With the questions, concerns, and anxiety you have about this truck, not to mention the potential of marital problems, I would absolutely not buy a lightning. An ICE F-150 would be a much better fit for you!

Lightningwaiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Construction
Long time lurker with occasional questions and posts. Closer everyday to pulling the trigger on an EV truck. Found a '23 untitled dealer demo with 2k kms on it for a pretty good deal. Except it is 3000km from me on the other side of the country. Probably would have it shipped but am entertaining a road trip to get it. (with NACS adapter).

I have followed the high voltage battery issue that a not-small-number of users seem to have developed. I would be excited to be driving an EV with all the benefits and understand the downsides about range/charging/winter. My ultimate issue is this: I can't spend $$ on a new car that is going to run the risk of stranding me. While that is a theoretical risk with any car, I wouldn't be worried if I was going to pick up a Toyota highlander or a replacement honda Ridgeline, or any other ICE car. I do a fair number of road trips through the year, and this would be an excellent family vehicle. But if I end up stranded, in the middle of nowhere, a million miles from home, and have to get towed to a dealer and sit for weeks with parts and all the horror stories I've heard about this. And if it hasn't happened to you yet, a real and uncertain risk of it happening over the life of the battery, even if it is warrantied.

Lots of great stories on here of successful long distance road trips. I'm on a tight leash here, maritally and financially, to buy a reliable vehicle that we will enjoy. I would lose any credit in the marriage bank if we end up stranded roadside in Moose Jaw. (no offense to people from Moose Jaw, I'm sure it is lovely, just making a point).

Am I stupid to buy a Lightning if I am not willing to run the risk of this happening?
15k on my lightning and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. 0 issues.

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
Thanks everybody. Iā€™ll call it wise advice from both sides. I will waffle for a bit and chat with Mrs.

I joke about marriage and finances as I have a perfectly fine vehicle, so this is an experimental vanity upgrade to a new toy. Weā€™ve got 32 years of happy marriage in so my wife knows my automotive obsessions well. With current prices finances not a problem except Iā€™m always obsessing about getting the best possible deal.

I would definitely get the ER. My local dealer sells a lot of Mach E and Lightning so should be experienced with the issues. Only hesitation is if I get less respectful service if I donā€™t buy the truck from them.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
I don't think I'd buy a lightning for a family vehicle. Especially if you're not towing. And I love my lightning.

Our EV6 is way better suited for that. I mean, sure, the cabin is smaller but it's also easier to maneuver, and get in and out of. Could also tow a 2300 lb trailer if we got a hitch for it.

I'll reiterate that I love my lightning, but I don't think my wife has a preference one way or the other. On the other hand, we both love her EV6.

Get something that you and your wife can both enjoy on roadtrips. If it's the lightning: great! Like you said any vehicle could strand you. If it's not then there are plenty of other EVs to choose from.

Sponsored
OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We have put a combined 30,000 Mach-E miles and 10,000 Lightning miles. The Mach-E had a major failure (HVBJB) on a 12 day trip, on day 2. We limped along for the rest of the trip with very slow DC fast charging. A major inconvenience, cost me at least 14 hours of my time. It could have simply failed, and then we would have been up the creek.

Our Lightning had a major failure right after two trips, battery array failure. 54% power, couldn't have done a trip like that. Took weeks to fix (diagnose, order, replace) and months later still no software update to complete the work.

These are new vehicles. They have issues from time to time. Your criteria and these vehicle are in total conflict. Don't buy one.
So, with these experiences, would YOU buy another Lightning?

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
Have no hesitation recommending the lightning, it's the best truck I've ever owned and in my opinion the best overall EV truck on the market, but thing that leaves me scratching my head is why you are considering buying one that's 3,000 km away. If you are going to get one, get it close to home.

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think I'd buy a lightning for a family vehicle. Especially if you're not towing. And I love my lightning.

Our EV6 is way better suited for that. I mean, sure, the cabin is smaller but it's also easier to maneuver, and get in and out of. Could also tow a 2300 lb trailer if we got a hitch for it.

I'll reiterate that I love my lightning, but I don't think my wife has a preference one way or the other. On the other hand, we both love her EV6.

Get something that you and your wife can both enjoy on roadtrips. If it's the lightning: great! Like you said any vehicle could strand you. If it's not then there are plenty of other EVs to choose from.
Point taken. I want a truck to do VERY BIG IMPORTANT TRUCK STUFF. Like mulch, toilet paper at Costco, boat towing short distance, getting the Christmas tree. Oh, and because I want one. My Ridgeline does all these things well. My kids call it the Barbie Dream Truck though and mock my manhood. We have a Highlander hybrid that we can keep for the trips with she-who-must-not-be-stranded. šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have no hesitation recommending the lightning, it's the best truck I've ever owned and in my opinion the best overall EV truck on the market, but thing that leaves me scratching my head is why you are considering buying one that's 3,000 km away. If you are going to get one, get it close to home.
Saving $10,000

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
if you can get that deal there, you can get it anywhere. Or certainly less than 3,000 km away.
If only. I have searched the country and literally a handful of leftover ā€˜23 XLT ERā€™s anywhere and none within 1500km of me. This one is an extra $5k off as an untitled dealer demo with 2000km on it.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I have said this on other posts! I have not previously owned an EV. I briefly test drove a lightning. I was considering either the Maverick hybrid or the lightning. I found a great deal in Maryland and I live in Texas completed all the purchasing online and flew to Maryland and drove it back to Texas with a stop in Georgia to pick up some equipment.(yes I searched and searched online and talked to no less than 20 dealers so I understand where youā€™re coming from as far as finding a deal) It was about 1500 to 1600 miles.(I think thatā€™s like 1,000,000 km.šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚) Ok 2500 +/- km. I just used the Ford navigation for charging locations and had no problems. There are better trip planning apps, (a lot of people, swear by ABRP )but I have not used them yet as I have not been on a long trip since then. Prior to doing this I did check on the Tesla app because you can route plan on it. I do not know what the charging infrastructure is like in Canada.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
No, fair. But still a valid question to someone who is an experienced and knowledgeable Lightning guru. I have appreciated your insight on here about lots of topics.
Would I?

Today? With feature deletes as compared to my 2022? Heat pump in 2024?

Yes. Because nothing is comparable on the market, and Ford needs to be successful in EVs.
Sponsored