• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cell Level Testing of the SK805A (Lightning Cell)

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
💣

I can't really go into our cell level testing that is entering its' 9 week (out of 20) but I do have a couple of comments.

First, I'm not selling. I'm approaching retirement, I bought the 8 year factory warranty, and I really love the truck...but doubt has crept in. I know my particular use case will not be a problem before the 8 years are up. There is an outside chance that I will trade in the wife's EV6 and my truck AFTER retirement to buy a Kia EV9 as we transition to a single vehicle family.

I will say that the delta is a HUGE issue for this cell, along with temperature (I would recommend keeping it under 45C)

I will also say our testing takes us outside of what the truck allowed during our road testing. Do not expect me to make any more post about this specific cell, but I will entertain generic questions based on my 13 years of experience on testing a wide variety of cells...and I still expect those with anecdotal information to refute what I see in actually testing cells for a living, down to the milliamp level.

If you don't know what I mean about delta, either bury your head in the sand and use your 20 years looking at Torque while driving an EV, or reread my previous post about cell testing insights.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Mickey - trying to learn and hoping you will humor me, but my forum search-fu to find your previous post has failed and google isn't helping much either. I can see that delta has something to do with voltage change over time (and therefore related to high charge / discharge rates) but I am not sure if that is what you are getting at.

Any chance you could link to the old post you mentioned?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Just for clarification, you test the cells by themselves and not with any of the battery management systems that are at pack level?

Last edited:

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
...and I still expect those with anecdotal information to refute what I see in actually testing cells for a living, down to the milliamp level.

If you don't know what I mean about delta, either bury your head in the sand and use your 20 years looking at Torque while driving an EV, or reread my previous post about cell testing insights.
As my current signature tag says: ”Without data, you’re just another person with an opinion“.

Lots of folks on here without the data you have but they sure think they’re right with their anecdotal “data”. You have my attention.
Ford F-150 Lightning Cell Level Testing of the SK805A (Lightning Cell) IMG_0547

Last edited:

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
The general feeling of that post is unsettling, coming from someone with technical knowledge and data at their disposal.

I know next to nothing in this arena, and in my world, the Delta could refer to any number of things.
What does it refer to in this case?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I will say that the delta is a HUGE issue for this cell, along with temperature (I would recommend keeping it under 45C)
The temperature bit is a little alarming for those of us in hot summer climates. Yesterday my battery temp was as high as I've ever seen it. Edit to add...it was on a level 2 charger at work all day. Kinda shocked it was this high.
Ford F-150 Lightning Cell Level Testing of the SK805A (Lightning Cell) 1000005736

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Yesterday my battery temp was as high as I've ever seen it.
Remember the 123 number isn't the battery temp. The upper left bar indicates the battery temp and that "gauge" seems to indicate brackets from 1/4 to 3/4. I am hoping those brackets indicates operating temperature range.....

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
So… I really don’t know anything about all of this. I’m trying to learn since I now own a giant battery operated vehicle. I purchased mine with the max trailer tow package because I felt the extra cooling would be beneficial even though I don’t haul trailers often.
Will the additional cooling of the max trailer tow package be beneficial for this scenario, even not when towing?

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
The temperature bit is a little alarming for those of us in hot summer climates. Yesterday my battery temp was as high as I've ever seen it. Edit to add...it was on a level 2 charger at work all day. Kinda shocked it was this high.
1000005736.jpg
That does seem high! I have never seen mine above the 50% line in the middle. What was your outside temp?

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
With the additional cooling of the max trailer tow package be beneficial for this scenario, even not when towing?
Max tow provides a dedicated coolant loop for the battery, therefore should help. I have max tow also and just returned from a 1200+ mile trip involving 103 outside temperatures and the battery still gets hot, similar to post 8 above.
I have read test result literature of other cells that have shown the importance to avoid the large depth of discharge deltas at very high temperatures.

The Battery Management System software will hopefully handle this issue as best as possible.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Remember the 123 number isn't the battery temp. The upper left bar indicates the battery temp and that "gauge" seems to indicate brackets from 1/4 to 3/4. I am hoping those brackets indicates operating temperature range.....
Yep, was referring to the meter at the top. The outdoor temp display has been in the 120's several times and the battery meter was barely half that. I thought being plugged in and charging would keep the cooling on. Since I didn't have any warnings flashing I'm guessing it's OK by Ford's estimation. It's their warranty so I'll trust it.

That does seem high! I have never seen mine above the 50% line in the middle. What was your outside temp?
Yeah, can't trust that parking lot temp of 123F. It dropped to 117F once I got driving. Forecast high was 112F, my home weather station reported 109F.
Sponsored