• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Pro should be optional and other infrastructure thoughts

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I am in the process of building a garage that will host my possible Lightning purchase. If not that one, some type of EV in the near future. While talking to electricians and the utility company reps during the planning stage, some interesting issues have come up.
  • I wish/hope that at some point, Ford makes the Charge Station Pro an optional purchase. It seems that a lot of peole are selling them online. If my ER model comes in, I will also be selling mine (for reasons stated below)
  • At first blush, the idea of using the Lightning as a generator during outages seems like a great idea. But the more I consided my situation, I don't see it being as useful as it first appeared. I already have a generator with a manual transfer switch setup. Thankfully, our power outages are rare, but when they happen, it's usuallly in winter when my truck won't be here (we are FL snowbirds). So I'lll stick with the generator setup as the rest of the family is often here for skiiing and other winter activities. Even in the other seasons, I'd rather have backup for the family if I'm away with the truck.
  • It turns out changing my infrastruture to support the Charge Station Pro would be more than it's worth to me.
    • In order to support it, I'd need to upgrade the house service to 400 amps. Even if I wanted to do this, apparently 400 amp meter sockets are currently more rare than steering wheel heater computer chips.
    • The garage is detached, about 75' away. This would require two, expensive, buried cables between there and the house. One to connect the garage power to the house panel, and one to backfeed the generator/transfer switch circuit.
    • My current generator setup is bonded neutral so I can also already use the truck as key circuits backup via the 14-50 plug on the side of the house.
    • Staying with the current setup, I have load room to keep my 200 amp setup while feeding the garage with a 100 amp subpanel. 60 amp charging will be fine given my driving habits and lifestyle, and there will stilll be enough power to feed the few light and plug circuits I'll have in the garage.
While going through this process, a lot of interesting discussions have come up with the electricians and electric utility reps. It's clear that many of these folks are ill-prepared for supporting a growing EV population. I've been very surprised at how little the electricians know about EV infrastrure needs and installations. Both have admitted to knowing little about them. Once informed, both expressed doubts about whether the grid or individual setups will meet the needs anytime soon. (see my example above).

While knowledgeable about the EV needs, the utility reps have different concerns. If I went the route of a 400 amp upgrade, that coupled with other construction happending downstream would require the transformer that feeds us to be upgraded. The transformers are also in very shorty supply, along with the aforementioned meter sockets. There were also comments made about whether the grid would be ready any time soon to support the many high voltage chargers that are planned.

I'm sure that over time, these issues will resolve and the markets will catch up. But the open question is how long and how painful/expensive. Just the cost of being some of the early adoptors of this new wave...
Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Agreed. I just got my FCSP in the mail yesterday and have no plans on opening the box. I already have a 40amp Grizzl-e installed. I WFH and have no need to charge my truck at 80amps. It’s not worth the cost to have it installed when my current setup is adequate.

While I have no interest in fronting the cost of the HIS in my current house, I may be interested in a future house so I guess I’ll hang onto the FCSP. Ultimately, my preferred choice would have been to not effectively buy the FCSP.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As to transformer upgrades, we have underground wiring in our neighborhood, transformer boxes between two homes. My utility said that one of the homes can go from 200amp to 400amp service, but when the second home does they'll have to pay for a transformer upgrade. I believe they said around $225, something like that.

SkyeFox

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, F150 Lightning XLT SR on order
You shouldn't need an upgrade to 400A service unless you are anticipating using over 200A. A house with 200A service can support the 80A charger (100A breaker) without an upgrade unless you are currently using close to 100A+.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I have a new house, moved in spring. 200 amp service with FCSP installed on 100 amp breaker. I can charge at 80A with no problem but hardly ever do. Normally charge at 48A. My main panel is full but I have a sub panel with some head room yet.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
As a test, last summer I simultaneously charger at 80Ă…, ran 5 ton A/C with 1hp blower motor and 4800 watt electric oven on 150Ă… service. Pulled around 130Ă…, 246 volts. Not something recommended for continuous long term operation but it worked. To get better electric rates I charge off hours now. No baking on graveyard shift.
Unless the pot grow lamps are working double time or your welding business is booming, 200 amps sounds adequate.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I thought the same thing until I found out my Tesla Gen2 + Lectron Adapter wasn't capable of charging the Truck in the specific time I requires, basically 75-78kWh from 9 pm to 4:30 a.m. I sold my FCSP to my brother who then didn't want to spend the money to install it so he sold it back to me lol. Last night truck was charged by 1 a.m. no faults at all.

Everyones needs might be different, but I do agree that it should optional.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Would have loved if it was optional. I installed mine because it came with the truck, but I am running it at 48A and not using the backup feature. You asos have to deal with the stress of it coming weeks after you get your truck.

Would much rather have saved a little money and bought my own.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Personally I’d keep it and derate it on a smaller breaker if you don’t want to do the 400A upgrade.

For what it is, it’s a pretty decent value considering I haven’t seen a 80A EV charger for less than $1000 recently. And if you ever move into a house with more capacity it’ll be nice to have the option to upgrade to faster charging in the future.

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting
I just bought my XLT ER and it had -1390 for Pro Charger so you can order it without. i can show sticker if u need to see it. I using my Tesla 48 amp charger its more then enought

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I just bought my XLT ER and it had -1390 for Pro Charger so you can order it without. i can show sticker if u need to see it. I using my Tesla 48 amp charger its more then enought
Not the Lariat ER and above.

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting
Yes you can it just a special order. Dealer can it order without it My buddy just got his platnium without it

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You can only delete the FCSP on fleet orders.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Station Pro should be optional and other infrastructure thoughts imagejpeg_0(1)

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting
The Dealer here in Raligh will do it for you.. Since they had some many issues with that charger

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
You can only delete the FCSP on fleet orders.

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
Also, I think I remember that FCSP only nets you a couple hundred bucks. Well below it's price of $1,300. However, I agree with OP that most of us don't need it or want it. Also I suspect that since it's bundled, you will miss out on part EVSE credit. That's another $400.
Sponsored