• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Apps Question

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
Newb here.
Is there any reason to install all the charging apps that are out there that work under Blue Oval? Is there any reason while out on a trip that the Blue Oval wouldn't work and I have to have the EA app or the countless others? Is there maybe one or two extra that you guys/gals find helpful or a necessity while traveling?

I'm asking because I really hate installing apps. I really despise how corporations want you to install their app when I'm perfectly fine using a web browser on a desktop (financial institutions are horrible at this). So I'd like to keep the amount of apps installed for this truck at a minimum.
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
You need the vendor specific app (and initiate charge from there) if you want to take advantage of their discount programs (e.g., Tesla SC, EA). Ford may one day allow the discounts to be used in the P&C system, but that is currently not available.

If you only occasionally charge and don't do discounts, you don't need the other apps.

Last edited:

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I like plugshare and you can just go to plugshare.com to find charger and I use the Chargepoint android app because there's a low cost charger nearby. If you aren't using any discounts from the provider, then you should be able to just drive to the charger and use a credit card.

Joe Dablock

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
A couple aps fcomes in handy, but it is sensible to keep it at a minimum. I tend to default to EA and Tesla, so to do a little Pre-trip planning, I can look at the EA ap and then look at the Tesla Ap, (in my living room) before a trip. Also the Plug share Ap filters are handy. Plug share is also helpful to find Hotels with chargers (sometimes free).

A person in the vehicle can scope out chargers using Apps separately from the vehicle nav

I have also printed out screenshots of Ap screens showing chargers, so I can reference them. You can then write comments on the paper.

OP
OP
FloridaMan655321

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
Thanks to everyone for the replies. This all makes sense. Yes, I will rarely have to charge remotely besides the once a year when we take a trip a few hundred miles away, or the Thanksgiving/Christmas trip that’s about 125 miles away

Sponsored

Wendy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Saab 96 (dead), Silverado (squished), F150 L
For your Thanksgiving trip just make sure you stay until the weekend, then you will have your 60 hours to recharge on the 110v adapter :)

OP
OP
FloridaMan655321

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
For your Thanksgiving trip just make sure you stay until the weekend, then you will have your 60 hours to recharge on the 110v adapter :)
I’ll be using either EA or Tesla SC for these haha.
Sponsored