Sponsored

Connected to Charger Error & Won't Shift Out of Park. Lesson learned: carry a 10mm wrench (to disconnect battery)

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Today I experienced an error that I do not recall seeing on the forum. I also searched and did not find the issue, but I could have missed it.

I was running errands and after my third stop, when I started my truck it would not shift out of park. An icon on the dash display erroneously showed that the truck was connected to a charger, and there was a pop-up message to disconnect from the charger. (I was not connected to a charger.) I started and powered off several times, pushed the release button at the the charge port several times, and re-booted the main screen, all without eliminating the error. On two occasions upon starting the red 12 volt battery icon displayed. I plugged in a cigarette lighter USB charger with a voltage display. It showed 13.6 volts with the truck started and 12.5 volts when powered off. Everything else seemed to work properly. The AC was running, both displays were normal except for the connected-to-charger icon on the dash display, and the frunk opened properly. I have had the 12 volt BMS module replacement completed.

I pulled out the 10 mm wrench I purchased 18 months ago and lifted the negative cable off the 12 volt battery. I waited about a minute and reconnected the cable to the battery. The connected-to-charger icon was no longer present on the dash display, and the truck would now shift out of park. If I did not have the 10 mm wrench, I would still be sitting in the parking lot waiting on a tow truck to the dealership. I checked the battery status with an OBDLink MX+ and CarScanner when I returned home (only 1 mile distance), and found 12 volt SOC at 80% per the attached photo. Although the display is showing 102 degrees, the ambient temperature is 85 degrees. The truck is parked in the sun after driving it, so heat from the radiator is likely affecting the display temperature.

If you don't have a 10 mm wrench, you surely need to get one. This is the first time I have had to use mine. I am not a fan of using a 12 point wrench on hex head nuts. I have a 6 point box end / open end wrench, but it was a bit unwieldy. Here is a link to a ratcheting 10 mm 6 point wrench that I just ordered.
https://a.co/d/6KFPqRY

Ford F-150 Lightning Connected to Charger Error & Won't Shift Out of Park. Lesson learned: carry a 10mm wrench (to disconnect battery) 12 Volt SOC
Sponsored

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
Yeah, that's a bad issue to run across. I have a basic toolkit, roadside emergency kit, and survival kit in every vehicle I own. You never know when having something as simple as a wrench or pair or pliers being the difference between a mild inconvenience and being stranded in a life-threatening situation.

I have an idea for an essential Ford EV repair kit:

A 10mm box wrench and an instruction sheet with one simple line: "Power cycle it."

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Is this detail screen coming via an app & OBD connection?

Ford F-150 Lightning Connected to Charger Error & Won't Shift Out of Park. Lesson learned: carry a 10mm wrench (to disconnect battery) 1728333276186-im

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
If you don't have a 10 mm wrench, you surely need to get one.
Thanks for the tip, I know lots of random issues can be fixed by a 12v power cycle, but I hadn't really thought about *how* I would disconnect the battery if issues popped up. I checked my gear I keep behind the seat, and there was indeed a 10mm thin as paper chinesium wrench that came with my jump starter... I threw that away and added in a craftsman 10mm from a set I bought at sears in 2000.

OP
OP
Lytning

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Is this detail screen coming via an app & OBD connection?

1728333276186-im.jpg
Yes. CarScanner is now an app in CarPlay. Paired with the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth scanner.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lytning

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the tip, I know lots of random issues can be fixed by a 12v power cycle, but I hadn't really thought about *how* I would disconnect the battery if issues popped up. I checked my gear I keep behind the seat, and there was indeed a 10mm thin as paper chinesium wrench that came with my jump starter... I threw that away and added in a craftsman 10mm from a set I bought at sears in 2000.
With all the 12 volt battery issues we could use something like this on the dash ... 🤣

Ford F-150 Lightning Connected to Charger Error & Won't Shift Out of Park. Lesson learned: carry a 10mm wrench (to disconnect battery) Knife Blade Switch

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Yes. CarScanner is now an app in CarPlay. Paired with the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth scanner.
I wonder if it's also lined in android-auto?
Sponsored