Sponsored

Connected to Charger Error & Won't Shift Out of Park. Lesson learned: carry a 10mm wrench (to disconnect battery)

subseavet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Occupation
R&D Engineer
How long have you been using the OHMMU battery?
I understand it has its own BMS. Has that presented any issues with the truck's BMS?
Is the OHMMU BMS integral to the battery, or is it a separate device?
I've been using it since January 2024 and have not had any issues. The built-in BMS is entirely separate from the truck's BMS, so they don't talk, and there aren't any problems. Both are working. I know many people have thoughts (positive and negative, no pun intended) on the OHMMU battery. So far, I'm totally satisfied with mine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lytning

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
So I keep one in my trunk/frunk after reading how people had issues after a software update. Not saying this was the culprit, more that this makes me wonder if we should just do a nice cold reboot once every quarter or 6 months or so. Kind of like back in the old Windows days. I'm 20 years from doing help desk work, but way back in the day it helped if you pulled the power from a workstation, hit the power button while the power was disconnected, then power it back on. A nice cold boot really helped keep the calls down.

So maybe we should disconnect the power cable for 20-30 minutes every x number of months? Just treat this like Windows 95 for now ;)
This may actually be a great suggestion. I have to reboot my iPhone about once per month. What I notice is that random text messages are not delivered. Some come through, but others do not. (Try convincing your wife that you really did not receive the text she sent you.) After a reboot, all the undelivered texts magically appear. I also have to reboot the Xfinity gateway modem / router once per month to solve stuttering TV audio.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
A few months back, someone warned us about having the 10 MM wrench handy. I bought one and put it in my console. Hope I never need to use it!

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Yeah, that's a bad issue to run across. I have a basic toolkit, roadside emergency kit, and survival kit in every vehicle I own. You never know when having something as simple as a wrench or pair or pliers being the difference between a mild inconvenience and being stranded in a life-threatening situation.

I have an idea for an essential Ford EV repair kit:

A 10mm box wrench and an instruction sheet with one simple line: "Power cycle it."
For the amount of times one is required to powercycle this damn thing, Ford should just put a 100A breaker right next to the battery.

You could retrofit one like this, then it would be just as simple as resetting a GFCI.
Ford F-150 Lightning Connected to Charger Error & Won't Shift Out of Park. Lesson learned: carry a 10mm wrench (to disconnect battery) 1728413329716-97

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
For the amount of times one is required to powercycle this damn thing, Ford should just put a 100A breaker right next to the battery.

You could retrofit one like this, then it would be just as simple as resetting a GFCI.
1728413329716-97.jpg
2 years and 50k miles later, I have never had to pull the negative terminal on my Lightning.

<knock on wood>

Last edited:

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
2 years and 50k miles later, I have not had to pull the negative terminal on my Lightning because I just have it towed to the dealer.

<knock on wood>
Fixed it for ya. I think at least 1 of those is what you probably meant.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
2 years and 50k miles later, I have never had to pull the negative terminal on my Lightning.

<knock on wood>
Same, I did try to pull some various fuses to fix my modem once, but I think it ended up being a system wide outage and not just me. I think it's such a simple thing to keep a wrench handy incase.

I still have to get the bms thing replaced. Been lazy on that one.
Sponsored