• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cost to fill up your Lightning?

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat - Antimatter Blue. 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
Man, I've got it good down here is Georgia. Georgia Power lets you charge between 11pm and 7am for a rate of 2.1 cents per kWh if you are signed up for the "overnight advantage" plan. So basically I can fill up my truck for $2.75 (131 kWh X 2.1 cents equals 275 pennies). Of course that doesn't include the taxes/fees/minimum charge etc. But still, $2.75 to fill a pickup truck so you can drive it 300miles. Crazy cheap. Here is the link for those of you that are local:
https://www.georgiapower.com/reside...-plans/pricing-and-rate-plans/plug-in-ev.html

Hell, even if I charge it during "regular" pricing which is 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 11 p.m year round I'm only paying 9.8 cents. That mean I can fill up for $12.84.

Just don't charge during on-peak, which is 2pm to 7pm June through Sept. Filling it up would during that timeframe cost 28.6 cents per kW, or $37.47.

Ask any ICE F-150 owner the last time they filled up there truck for less than $40 and they will probably tell you it was the '90's and you have to be talking to somebody older than 40.

When I was in high school in the early 90's the gas station across the street would occasionally run gas at 79 cents a gallon. My VW Bug had a ten and a half gallon tank, which means I could fill it up for $8.30.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cost to fill up your Lightning? Capture.PNG

Now fast forward 30 years... and I can fill up a truck that can drive itself down the highway, has 580 HP (as compared to the Bug's 40 HP), has A/C, a touch screen almost as big as the TV that was in my parents living room back in the 90's (We had a 19") attached to the dash, all for 1/3 of the cost! That's not even adjusted for inflation! Crazy progress! And yet, people don't want to switch from ICE...I don't understand.

Still, what is everybody else experiencing as far as cost to fill your Lightning? I visited Kirkwood CA and my buddy told me that power out there was running something crazy like 80 cents a kWh. If that was the case, I could see a $105 bill to fill a Lightning, which is about even with ICE. Am I just super blessed to be in Georgia where the power is cheap?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Good Choice on photo, that VW was the equivalent to a cheap Chinese EV today. I bought a new 1971 for $1920.

I find DCFC is about 80-90% the cost of gas. But at home it is a winner at 11 cents/kw.

OP
OP
Bokenator

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good Choice on photo
Thanks! That is exactly what my VW looked like. What is funny is that I am 6'5" tall and had to fold up with my knees around my ears to drive the thing. Also had to wear running shoes, as the VW was a clutch and the footwell was so small if I wore basketball shoes I would hit 2 pedals with one foot as there wasn't enough space between the pedals.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Nitpick: kW is a rate. kWh is a quantity. They are not interchangeable.

We recently got time-of-use billing here in BC, Canada, so it costs about $0.10 CAD/kWh overnight. Would be $13 CAD or about $10 USD to "fill" the whole thing. Negligible really

OP
OP
Bokenator

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I am in the same boat. All the "fees" add up. Environmental Compliance Cost, Nuclear Construction Cost Recovery, Municipal Franchise Fee, Sales Tax. Last month they added $120 to my usage bill. Usually about 20% adder on average in my case.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Make sure you're including all VARIABLE costs that are tied to usage.

My utility advertises an off-peak rate of pennies. When you add all the variable costs, it's 15.5 cents.

SteuLight

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT 312A
The university I work for lets me charge for free.

At home it would be $0.15 / kwh, but obviously I don't charge at home if I can help it.

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
I don't have the truck yet, but it will be basically 0 as long as you ignore my investment cost. I have paid off solar panels + 1:1 net metering, I make more energy than I use and have a really large credit bank stored up. Even with 2 EVs and our driving habits I'll still likely have a surplus of energy.

I guess you can consider the opportunity cost lost mining bitcoin or something for the excess credits, which I did do one winter because why not.

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
In Ontario Canada, we are on the ULT (Ultra Low Time of use)
11pm to 7am 2.8 cents/Kwh. Some times I will time shave the expensive power to run the 12,000 BTU C-air on long hot spells. It does make a difference for the monthly bill.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Have solar on the house and 1:1 net metering...only fee I have to pay is $4.20 each month for still being grid tied. Now the initial solar investment was not cheap...but at the "rate" the utility company in Montana is going...they'll be "paid off" in 6 or 7 years.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I also have solar with 1:1 net metering. Covered about 90% of my annual usage before I got the truck. Wish I had thought ahead and sized it up a bit more.

With all fee's my rate is around 0.14, I think I average around $60/month worth of electrons. Sure eats into my credits by mid summer!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
YES! I also enjoy the GeorgiaPower 'PLUG IN EV' rate plan, and at about the stated 2cent per /kwh rate, overnight... it's VERY LITTLE to power this beast...

and, yes, you really have to pay attention to your bill, even with this low rate, because GP has not only the additional FEES as part of the 'total' bill, they even have UNLISTED 'invisible' charges: you can find this out by adding up your total usage X rates, and the additional listed Fees, and you may find that you are still only 1/2 of the total bill.
so, I consider my 'overnight' LIGHTNING charging cost to be more like 4 cents per/kwh... still QUITE a deal!

so, here's something else - DC Fast Charging, WHILE towing our 3,800lb single-axle camper this weekend - COST TO TRAVEL IN AN EV TRUCK PULLING A CAMPER:

- 687 miles total, with the camper the whole trip, after starting out at 100%, and charging half-way thru the trip, at my son's home, for 45kw of 'free' power
- mostly TESLA Superchargers, but also a spattering of CHARGEPOINTs, EVgo, and a Autel "RedE" unit: 25cents per mile for the whole trip.
Ford F-150 Lightning Cost to fill up your Lightning? IMG_8838

Ford F-150 Lightning Cost to fill up your Lightning? IMG_8852

Ford F-150 Lightning Cost to fill up your Lightning? IMG_8851

Ford F-150 Lightning Cost to fill up your Lightning? IMG_8850
Sponsored