CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I had body work done at Landmark Ford in Tigard (excellent by the way); and asked them to perform the 23B57 "recall". The notes of the work states they reprogrammed BECM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, PCM, and SOBDM to latest software levels per recall.

No effect to truck that I can determine.

It would be nice if the reprogram of the PCM also involved changing the DC-DC converter logic to have the DC-DC converter top off the 12v battery sooner, when it is at a higher level of charge. Thoughts?
There have been folks who changed that threshold using FORSCAN (it's an asbuilt value) to cause the DC-DC to start recharging sooner. I haven't done it. I get why they're doing it but I don't think it would help as much as getting a battery with higher Ah. (like the 40Ah Diehard from Advance Auto). While programming my MME yesterday and noticed that the hold down bracket for the battery could be shifted over to a second set of holes to allow for a larger formfactor case than the current "H3" battery that's in there. I'm wondering what other formfactor sizes were under consideration before they decided to go with the H3 and particularly important for anybody who lives where it gets really cold...if they were considering a larger battery for colder climates?
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice Battery-H3

Pretty sure the Lightning's battery tray is the same. I fully intend on replacing both the batteries in my MME and Lightning with the Diehard 40Ah battery when my factory batteries eventually die. (Unless I find something that will fit in that battery tray that's got even more Ah).
Sponsored

Last edited:

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Unless I find something that will fit in that battery tray that's got even more Ah
It's silly that EVs have anything more than a tiny battery capable of closing the HV contactors, imo.

For fun I ran my Fiat 500e off of a motorcycle battery for a couple of years. It wasn't doing OTA updates or anything of course. It also didn't maintain the 12V battery level automatically so if I didn't engage the HV battery every 5 days or so it would be flat.

I'm sure there are reasons they don't do a better job with 12V maintenance, but I'm also sure there are some better solutions to be had.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
There have been folks who changed that threshold using FORSCAN (it's an asbuilt value) to cause the DC-DC to start recharging sooner. I haven't done it. I get why they're doing it but I don't think it would help as much as getting a battery with higher Ah. (like the 40Ah Diehard from Advance Auto). While programming my MME yesterday and noticed that the hold down bracket for the battery could be shifted over to a second set of holes to allow for a larger formfactor case than the current "H3" battery that's in there. I'm wondering what other formfactor sizes were under consideration before they decided to go with the H3 and particularly important for anybody who lives where it gets really cold...if they were considering a larger battery for colder climates?
Battery-H3.png

Pretty sure the Lightning's battery tray is the same. I fully intend on replacing both battery's in my MME and Lightning with the Diehard 40Ah battery when my factory batterys eventually die. (Unless I find something that will fit in that battery tray that's got even more Ah).
H3 Stock fitment
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice 1700233607607

H4 Would this fit??
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice 1700233583313

H5 Is this to long at 9.562 for the expansion position?
Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice 1700233546586

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Battery-H3.png

Pretty sure the Lightning's battery tray is the same. I fully intend on replacing both the batteries in my MME and Lightning with the Diehard 40Ah battery when my factory batteries eventually die. (Unless I find something that will fit in that battery tray that's got even more Ah).
So I haven't examined it closely, but when I went to check if the slightly upside battery I bought would fit, it didn't seem to and I didn't see any slots to slide over into. I'll have to check again when I get the chance.

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Replaced with Ohmmu H3+ a few days ago and have had no issues.
I'd be curious to see how it holds up after a couple summers in FL. Reading the description, it sounds ideal for colder climates as it can heat itself up, but I wonder how well it will endure months of 110F+

Sponsored

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I'd be curious to see how it holds up after a couple summers in FL. Reading the description, it sounds ideal for colder climates as it can heat itself up, but I wonder how well it will endure months of 110F+
Shipped from Arizona, gets pretty warm out there as well. We shall see 😎

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
That's my plan, wondering if I'd be better served to defer having them do this update and wait for the OTA, but then again, the crush of ~problems~ popping up en masse later could make the service backlog worse.
I was going to wait also thinking surely I am not one of the 4% with a bad pack in a module. lol nope I was. My gripe is not being reduced power 57% as I don’t even notice it. I’m still driving it in town only until parts arrive or battery gets to 20% is my plan, then get a loaner. My gripe is red ring of death and no way to charge battery. That is the part that sucks, no way to charge truck if a single pack. 1 out of 96 is out of spec, you cannot charge your truck. 😩

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice IMG_3567

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice IMG_7452

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice IMG_7441

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice IMG_7440

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I was going to wait also thinking surely I am not one of the 4% with a bad pack in a module. lol nope I was. My gripe is not being reduced power 57% as I don’t even notice it. I’m still driving it in town only until parts arrive or battery gets to 20% is my plan, then get a loaner. My gripe is red ring of death and no way to charge battery. That is the part that sucks, no way to charge truck if a single pack. 1 out of 96 is out of spec, you cannot charge your truck. 😩

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_7452.jpeg

IMG_7441.jpeg

IMG_7440.jpeg
Yes you can charge, it's just limited to a lower value to protect the battery

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
I got a call from Ford social media today. They gave me 3 years of scheduled maintenance for my troubles with the battery module I had replaced. I'm not really sure what that will give me since there are no oil changes. Free cabin filter maybe?

Edit: I got clarification and it is the Premium EV maintenance plan. It even covers shocks

https://fordprotect.ford.com/media/brochure/ford/64172_1641b FP Premium Maintenance EV Bro OCT 2024 Final 7_24_23.pdf
I can only wish I’ll be so lucky.
congrats on your winning lottery ticket.
I’m up the creek myself with repairs process just at its infancy with my truck.
Yes you can charge, it's just limited to a lower value to protect the battery
wish I could charge however even after clearing fault code it comes back immediately so not allowing my truck to charge.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice IMG_7441

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice IMG_7440

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can only wish I’ll be so lucky.
congrats on your winning lottery ticket.
I’m up the creek myself with repairs process just at its infancy with my truck.

wish I could charge however even after clearing fault code it comes back immediately so not allowing my truck to charge.

IMG_7441.jpeg

IMG_7440.jpeg
It almost seems like you're extra unlucky and have both the battery module failure and the on-board charger fault. I'm not recommending it, but have you tried DC fast charging?
Sponsored