Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Nope, but you can see more accurate information about the LVB SOC and the trucks estimated range here https://www.ford.com/myaccount/account-dashboard

1704555724820.png
This link is where I got the screen clip. It was not clear since I just copied the Charge Level data. About 25% of the time when I check Charge Level at Ford.com > Accounts, I see mileage versus % charge displayed.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.
What the dealers could do is put a junior tech out on the road, to do the simple tasks, ie. like the grease monkeys (Oil Change Tech) give them entry level training to do these basic services.
A few years ago when I still had C-Max a dealership sent one of those to replace my 12V battery. He did that, but then he futsed around with FDRS for an hour. So they sent a more senior guy to help him out. Bottom lined they had to pay twice for a relatively simple task.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
The 14thGen forum has a BMS thread over 50 pages long (they are having a different set of 12V issues). Looks like the sensor might have a Hall Effect sensor or shunt along with a thermistor for temp. Appears to send this info to the BCM via the LIN bus. What I haven't found out is if sends the raw values (voltage, current, and temp) and the BCM calculates SOC, or if the BMS itself calculates the SOC. But the answer may also be in the 59 pages of that thread (I am only on page 3 :) )
Update, finally found some good docs on page 12. The ICE Hybrid uses the same BMS part number. Here's the Component Description part:

Battery Monitoring Sensor
The Battery Monitoring Sensor continuously monitors the condition and the state of charge of the 12V battery and provides the BCM with this information. The Battery Monitoring Sensor also estimates losses in the battery capacity over time. The Battery Monitoring Sensor should only be reset when the battery is replaced. It is urgently recommended that the replacement battery has the exact same specification as the original battery. If it does not, the accuracy of the Battery Monitoring Sensor outputs will be compromised.

So it does determine the SOC and passes that along to the BCM. This gives me hope this could solve some of the update failures. Hopefully the newer version does a better job.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Dropping off Monday, will probably be there a few weeks:

- Fix sunroof Tilt issue (Motor)
- Sync Update
- now this BMS

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Those that bemoan the lack of mobile service for EVs don't get the shortage of EV techs. My dealership has ONE. Many dealerships have two at most. Putting them on the road means they aren't working on an EV.
I understand. But then Ford's website shouldn't trumpet Mobile Service for Lightnings while at the same time giving dealers the option to opt-out. That's ethically wrong (or, in plain English, false and misleading advertising). (Ford does have fine print noting dealer choice).

I've noticed that Ford has cut way back on advertising Whole Home Backup. They ought to do the same for Mobile Service, which seems like Express Lane, oriented towards oil changes and tire rotations, as for ICE vehicles, etc.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I just order the last one in inventory at tascaparts.com
How do you know if you order a replacement part through a third party, it's not going to have the same problem as the Ford BMS device being replaced? Seems safer to get the Ford-supplied replacement part...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
How do you know if you order a replacement part through a third party, it's not going to have the same problem as the Ford BMS device being replaced? Seems safer to get the Ford-supplied replacement part...
Tasca is a HUGE ford dealership group in the North east, home base is Cranston RI, they've probably got a regional warehouse worth of parts distributed to all their affiliates, Bob Tasca Sr original owner was a big drag racing guy, his grandson Bob Tasca III is as well on the NHRA circuit in the funny car class.

The phrase "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" came from the old timers back in the day.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
So does that mean putting in a battery with a higher AH rating and reserve capacity might cause us problems?

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/attachments/bms-operation-pdf.71508/
I haven't made it through the entire 59 pages yet but those that put in the bigger battery were not seeing problems. Mainly were the folks with the non-Hybrid (battery charged by alternator). The PowerBoost/Hybrid folks have the same setup we do. The 12V is charged by the HVB battery via a DC-DC converter.

But really just speculation. They need the @MickeyAO of 12V batteries - if that exists. :)

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
This makes this the 3rd CSP and I still have 2 recalls.

So I was planning on taking the truck in for its 20K maintenance (currently have 15K) and have them take care of everything, now I am not certain I should wait.

I wonder if I should have Ford change the battery too… this way they can recalibrate the BMS with a new battery since the truck is going to be 2 years old this July anyway. I will then still keep the other battery around just in case.

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I’ve seen the ICE guys go from a H6 to H8 and it alleviates their problems. The size difference is 3” longer battery. I haven’t looked to see if our trucks can accommodate the extra space. But with the bigger battery it shouldn’t cause any issues if it’s fully charged before getting installed and then doing the BMS.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This makes this the 3rd CSP and I still have 2 recalls.

So I was planning on taking the truck in for its 20K maintenance (currently have 15K) and have them take care of everything, now I am not certain I should wait.

I wonder if I should have Ford change the battery too… this way they can recalibrate the BMS with a new battery since the truck is going to be 2 years old this July anyway. I will then still keep the other battery around just in case.
Totally unnecessary.

I’ve seen the ICE guys go from a H6 to H8 and it alleviates their problems. The size difference is 3” longer battery. I haven’t looked to see if our trucks can accommodate the extra space. But with the bigger battery it shouldn’t cause any issues if it’s fully charged before getting installed and then doing the BMS.
The BMS is designed for this size battery. If you change the battery, it won't properly manage it. At least that is my understanding from the same discussion the Mach-E forum.

Al_V

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Count me in .....

1704486082327.png
Can you direct a newbie on how you get to this CUSTOMER SATISFACTIon page?
Is this in the FordPass app, or on a webpage?
THANKS!
Sponsored