• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DC Fast Charging lack of info

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
I'm not a road tripper, but I like to be ready for stuff, you know, just in case. So I just had to try DC fast charging. My first DC fast charging session was at a EA charging station located in Globe AZ. Fairly small only 3 or 4 plugs but I was the only one using the facility so it didn't matter. Followed the directions on the charger screen and everything worked great. I only added about 7.9 kWh since this was just a test for me and I had enough charge to get home. The truck didn't tell me squat about what was happening, the charger was my only information source. But hey, I got a notification in FordPass after the fact that my charging bundle had been reduced by 7.9 kWh.

Then I received my A2Z adapter the other day and decided to try a local (20 miles away) v3 supercharger. CarPlay navigated me to the charging location because Ford nav had no clue a useable charger was located there. Got to the location and attached the adapter. Hardest thing about that was locking the adapter and the charging handle together. Tesla app wanted my billing address updated for some reason, I had added that the other day, so gave up on that app at least for that session. FordPass was useless since it didn't show a charger anyway, so I tried plug and charge, it worked. I left the truck on since I wanted the A/C to work the truck showed Fast Charging in orange on the big screen, no other indication I was charging, how fast I was charging etc. However, SOC was updating and I had set a 60% charge limit that appeared to work. In the end, FordPass had a notification that I had been charged $6.88 for the session.

Lack of real time information in my truck especially when using plug and charge is pretty awful. Just my $.02 as a newb to this DC thing.
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Lack of real time information in my truck especially when using plug and charge is pretty awful. Just my $.02 as a newb to this DC thing.
Yep. Not even showing the charge rate in kW anywhere is a huge WTF from me too. You can get that with an OBD dongle, but it's pretty annoying Ford's philosophy is to hide any and all technical info. Wouldn't want to confuse Grandpa I guess.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
FordPass and Tesla app...

Sponsored
OP
OP

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
While I agree that the truck should give you the charging rate, I will point out that you can get the info in the Ford Pass App. You don't have to have an OBD dongle.
Umm, nope tried opening FordPass 5.0, it had no clue I was DC Fast charging.

OP
OP

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
The Tesla app shows real time charging status if you use that to start the charging.
Yeah, if you use the app to start the charging. I did not use Tesla app, it wanted me to update info that I'd already updated.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Umm, nope tried opening FordPass 5.0, it had no clue I was DC Fast charging.
Make sure you're looking at the [Energy] tab.

OP
OP

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Make sure you're looking at the [Energy] tab.
Yeah, I was. Even in the charge history the latest entry is 25 May at home.
Public charging only shows the map, not sessions I've completed.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I always see current charge session info on the energy tab while charging. Current KW rate and estimated finish time.
I’ve also had charging sessions randomly not get logged in history.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I’ve also had charging sessions randomly not get logged in history.
Ford's back end is a big part of this issue, sometimes I get the record a few minutes after unplugging and other times it took 12-24 hours to show up, mostly in version 4.x

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
It looks like the 2024’s will have this and hopefully we will get it also.
  • Updated charging speed display on the instrument cluster so that customers can see charge status and speed of charge instantly, including an estimated finished charge time

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Ford's back end is a big part of this issue, sometimes I get the record a few minutes after unplugging and other times it took 12-24 hours to show up, mostly in version 4.x
Agreed. Sometimes, the log entry is almost immediate, sometimes it never shows up. Often it’s something in between.

Chriseberle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning SR Tesla Model X
Part of buying a Ford or any other non Tesla is you are tied to 3rd party charging systems. I have travel thousands of miles with my Lightning and have 10 separate apps on my phone for that reason. Electrify America has one redeeming quality and that is the machines and the app show charging speed. That is not necessary the same as what the truck is taking because of heat loss but a good estimate. As for Tesla charging you must remember that Ford is the first to have use of the Tesla chargers and therefore it takes time for the software side of things to become seamless. The Ford app has been great for showing charging speed at Fast Charging Stations and really not sure why the truck does not show charging speed. No doubt it is a complaint of most owners.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
really not sure why the truck does not show charging speed
Ford Engineer: And here's the display of the charging speed

Marketing: Why is it so slow?

Engineer: Well after 80% the process slows down for technical reasons and after 90% it slows to a crawl for more technical reasons

Marketing: We can't have people taking screen shots of that, no one will buy such a slow charging vehicle

Management: Remove that feature!
Sponsored