• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extension Cable Question

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
That is not how electricity works and that is not how level two chargers work. The truck doesn't just pull up to 80 amps. The truck will pull up to whatever the level 2 charger tells it to pull. A 120v charger is never going to tell the truck to pull more than 12 amps.

The only way you're getting 80 amps into the truck is with a level 2 charger designed for 80 amps on a 240v circuit.
Slight adjustment.
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
That is not how electricity works and that is not how level two chargers work. The truck doesn't just pull up to 80 amps. The truck will pull whatever the level 2 charger tells it to pull. A 120v charger is never going to tell the truck to pull more than 12 amps.

The only way you're getting 80 amps into the truck is with a level 2 charger designed for 80 amps on a 240v circuit.
The post you were replying to was talking about a J1772 extension, not a 120 volt extension. So the warning is correct. If you plug into an 80 amp EVSE using a J1772 extension that's only rated for 40 amps, it's going to get spicy.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Ford got rid of the 240V@80A charging from the 2024 models too, if memory serves. I think you can only max out at 40A now.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The post you were replying to was talking about a J1772 extension, not a 120 volt extension. So the warning is correct. If you plug into an 80 amp EVSE using a J1772 extension that's only rated for 40 amps, it's going to get spicy.
Ah, good point. I didn't notice they were talking about the business end of cable. That cable would definitely become highly flexible.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
FPL also has a thing where they will install a system, and then it’s $30(ish) extra a month and they control when it charges (at night).
This sounds like a bad deal. According to the internal you'll pay $38/month for 10 years for an installed charger. That's $4,560! You can get a much better deal than that buying the charger you want and paying a professional to install it.

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Ford got rid of the 240V@80A charging from the 2024 models too, if memory serves. I think you can only max out at 40A now.
I didn’t know they’d done that. So basically it’s like having the single BCCM charger on SRs even on the ER models I guess. I wasn't aware they removed the Secondary BCCM on '24 model ERs.

Last edited:

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
This sounds like a bad deal. According to the internal you'll pay $38/month for 10 years for an installed charger. That's $4,560! You can get a much better deal than that buying the charger you want and paying a professional to install it.
Two things:

1) It’s a 5 year program, not 10.

2) You're forgetting about the unlimited free (off peak) charging part of the program. My total fuel cost has been reduced to $372 annually, which is just the $31 month subscription fee, which included the charger and install. I used to spend about $7,800 per year on fuel. Honestly, I have to keep pinching myself over this “bad deal”

IIRC there are only two options for the FPL “Evolution” unlimited charging (free off-peak)program.

31/month (do you own wiring) they supply and install charger.

38/month they wire, install, and provide charger.

There is no option to use your own and save.

31 month for unlimited charging is a phenomenal deal for some, and not at all for others.

Off peak is from 9pm to noon 1/2 the year,
And from 10pm to 7am the other half.

Plenty of time to fully charge each night.
Also, you don’t have to depend on FordPass for timing. Simply download the evolution app, and enable “off peak only” option for charging.
Weekends and holidays are off peak as well year round. It’s a stupid good deal for many. Compared to my f250 diesel it saves me personally between 600-700 month.
Perhaps your use case scenario is different.

Last edited:

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Two things:

1) It’s a 5 year program, not 10.

2) You're forgetting about the unlimited free (off peak) charging part of the program. My total fuel cost has been reduced to $372 annually, which is just the $31 month subscription fee, which included the charger and install. I used to spend about $7,800 per year on fuel. Honestly, I have to keep pinching myself over this “bad deal”

IIRC there are only two options for the FPL “Evolution” unlimited charging (free off-peak)program.

31/month (do you own wiring) they supply and install charger.

38/month they wire, install, and provide charger.

There is no option to use your own and save.

31 month for unlimited charging is a phenomenal deal for some, and not at all for others.

Off peak is from 9pm to noon 1/2 the year,
And from 10pm to 7am the other half.

Plenty of time to fully charge each night.
Also, you don’t have to depend on FordPass for timing. Simply download the evolution app, and enable “off peak only” option for charging.
Weekends and holidays are off peak as well year round. It’s a stupid good deal for many. Compared to my f250 diesel it saves me personally between 600-700 month.
Perhaps your use case scenario is different.
I missed the unlimited charging part. For the $38 plan the break even points is about 253kWh. Its about 206kWh for the $31 plan. Put another way, if you drive more than 500 miles/month it's a good deal.

I'm not from Florida so I'm getting my information from the FPL website. The screenshot below seems to indicate it's a 10 year program.

Can you cancel and send the charger back? The threat would be if you were locked in for five or 10 years.

Ford F-150 Lightning Extension Cable Question 1000005047

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I missed the unlimited charging part. For the $38 plan the break even points is about 253kWh. Its about 206kWh for the $31 plan. Put another way, if you drive more than 500 miles/month it's a good deal.

I'm not from Florida so I'm getting my information from the FPL website. The screenshot below seems to indicate it's a 10 year program.

Can you cancel and send the charger back? The threat would be if you were locked in for five or 10 years.

1000005047.jpg
In my region it’s only a 5 year program. Perhaps in the other FPL region it’s 10, or it has been changed to 5 years?

You can cancel the program, but it seems to be decided on a purchase basis of one year.
I just went to fpl.com evolution website and looked at the frequently asked questions.
I’ve been using the program since December. Average kilowatt hour prices are about 15.5 cents per kilowatt hour if you don’t have the evolution program.

Ford F-150 Lightning Extension Cable Question IMG_3305

Last edited:

Sponsored

NCevGuyF150

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford lightning
Occupation
Repair technician
It looks that I'll be purchasing a Lightning on Saturday. Kind of have everything all worked out, so obviously excited. I'll have a lot of dumb questions, so let me start out with this one.

Until I get an electrician out, I'll be charging over a 120v outlet. This is fine, as my daily drive is 14 miles total - and I like to drive the old F100 a day or two a week, so charging for the week shouldn't be an issue. The thing I want to make sure is that while the Lightning is charging, I want to make sure everything is safe. I've never gone cheap on extension cords, so all of mine are what you would find at construction sites. Is there any concern with using these extension cords and leaving it charged over multiple days? Do I need to buy something special? I don't want to overheat the cords, and I don't think they will, but I'd still like some info from more experienced users.
I have used a 12 gauge wire extension cord. These are the type found on construction sites. A 14 gauge cord would be pushing the limits. A 16 and 18 gauge extension cord would definitely not be recommended.

OP
OP
FloridaMan655321

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
I have used a 12 gauge wire extension cord. These are the type found on construction sites. A 14 gauge cord would be pushing the limits. A 16 and 18 gauge extension cord would definitely not be recommended.
Thanks, looks like mine are all 12 gauge, so that is comforting.

And thanks again to all that replied.
Sponsored