• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FCSP Plug mod

CorpZ

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lighning Lariat ER
Has anyone tried swapping in a J1772 plug in place of the CCS-1 plug on their FCSP? I have no plans to use the Intelligent backup power feature so I'm thinking of trying it, escpecially because it will be annoying to flip the cover down on the DC Pin ports every time I would charge at home.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I was thinking about that as well. Based on the schematic and how it works, I don't think it will notice the HVDC connection missing. You could always test this by disconnecting the HVDC wires inside the FCSP first. If it still works with those disconnected, then surely it won't notice the other end missing either.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Annoying to flip a flap?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
annoying to flip the cover down on the DC Pin ports every time I would charge at home.
LOL, sure isn't.

In any case, just get a 25ft j1772 evse cord and plug and replace the whole thing. Just make sure the cord and plug are rated for your amperage.

Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Have you tried http://www.umc-j1772.com ? They did a custom J-1772 cable for me a couple of years ago, and currently sell a 80 amp NACS extension cable.

They are the folks that make the Teslatap.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Been charging with the FCSP for almost a year, the flap doesn't annoy me. Takes half a second to flip it down/up and I often do it with one hand, while holding the plug and a bag of groceries in the other hand. I'm still on the fence about the HIS, I want back up that can still use my solar and the cheaper option (subpanel with transfer switch) can't do that as far as I can tell.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Been charging with the FCSP for almost a year, the flap doesn't annoy me. Takes half a second to flip it down/up and I often do it with one hand, while holding the plug and a bag of groceries in the other hand. I'm still on the fence about the HIS, I want back up that can still use my solar and the cheaper option (subpanel with transfer switch) can't do that as far as I can tell.
Yeah, but that 1/2 second down, and then up, times 365 days a year is 365 seconds, which is 6.08 minutes that you're WASTING!!!! :unsure: o_O;)

Add in DC fast charging on a trip and you could get close to 10, 15 minutes a YEAR!!!!

Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
80 amp J1772 cords are expensive. Only reason I haven't done it.
Very. $340-$500. The cost of an 80 amp rated Level 2 J1772 cable and connector is literally more than half the cost of the FCSP on ebay. Even if you just bought 25ft of 100 amp rated SOOW portable cord, you're lookin at $250-$300, then you still have to buy the connector for the end and it's a wash.

Don't forget if you do chop the end off and buy a new one without CCS, make sure it is rated to handle the 80 amps!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Has anyone tried swapping in a J1772 plug in place of the CCS-1 plug on their FCSP? I have no plans to use the Intelligent backup power feature so I'm thinking of trying it, escpecially because it will be annoying to flip the cover down on the DC Pin ports every time I would charge at home.
I know you're taking flak on the flap flipping but I do agree with you. Not so much the flap but the bulky CCS-1 connector and thicker cable that you don't have with the J1772. I'm not DC charging in the garage so why mess with a DC Charge connector. I have little clearance where I plug in.

My solution was to sell the FCSP and buy the Emporia 48A (never needed the 80A). I made $300 in the process, got rid of the bulky handle/cord and have an experience a lot closer to NACS than before. Also no more buggy Ford App. I can change charge settings easy.

A small change that I love every time I charge now. It's ok if you want to make your life less aggravating. ;)

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Yeah, but that 1/2 second down, and then up, times 365 days a year is 365 seconds, which is 6.08 minutes that you're WASTING!!!! :unsure: o_O;)

Add in DC fast charging on a trip and you could get close to 10, 15 minutes a YEAR!!!!
Still a savings over having to unscrew and screw back on, click click click, a fuel cap.

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
I discovered another problem with the FCSP CCS plug -- you cannot plug it into a standard EV that just has a J1772. My RAV4 Prime was the vehicle I was suing when I finished the install of my brother's FCSP at his place. Don't know what I was thinking, but I decide to "test it" and head over to my RAV4.

Really a limitation for a multi-EV house where one vehicle has only a standard J1772 tap. I wonder if I could find an 80A rated J1772 handle and covert that way.....
Sponsored