• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford CoPilot360 - Back Into Garage Assist?

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Hi -

I measured my garage and it'll just fit the Lightning. However, the side with the deeper garage bay would require the drivers side door to open towards a wall. Not ideal. It would be easier to enter and exit the vehicle if I were to back in. It'll be a tight and difficult squeeze backing it in though considering there's only 2-3 inches of clearance on each side. I was wondering if anyone knows if the CoPilot Assist features might help with making backing into the garage easier. I know it can back into a parking spot, but what about an empty garage bay? Thoughts?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You're thinking of the Parking Assist. No, you wouldn't want to use it for that, plus it won't work that way. It looks for CARS. So if there is a row of empty parking spaces, and then 1 car, and you want to perpendicular park, it will ignore all the blank spaces and park next to the car. If you have a double wide driveway, and a car parked at the end of it, it will park next to it. If you park Parallel, it will look for a space between two cars, or it will look for openings and then a car, and park behind the car.

The 360 degree camera would help. The sensors won't help on the sides because that close they will simply go red and make noise. Backing in, the camera and the sensors will help also.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
You're thinking of the Parking Assist. No, you wouldn't want to use it for that, plus it won't work that way. It looks for CARS. So if there is a row of empty parking spaces, and then 1 car, and you want to perpendicular park, it will ignore all the blank spaces and park next to the car. If you have a double wide driveway, and a car parked at the end of it, it will park next to it. If you park Parallel, it will look for a space between two cars, or it will look for openings and then a car, and park behind the car.

The 360 degree camera would help. The sensors won't help on the sides because that close they will simply go red and make noise. Backing in, the camera and the sensors will help also.
ah that's right!

I have a single car garage and it's tight.

Does the Lightning have the power fold in mirrors ??

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
ah that's right!

I have a single car garage and it's tight.

Does the Lightning have the power fold in mirrors ??
Lariat and above.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
The camera in the tailgate and the mirrors on each side of the car make this super easy. Go slow the first 50-60 times and keep checking all 3 things and you'll eventually be a pro at parking in your own garage.

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
Might sound nutty but, I use tape on the ground. Once I get the truck parked where I want it, I turn on the 360 cameras and were the reference lines are I put down tape on the floor. Then each time i park, i make sure the lines in the 360 camera line up with the tape on the ground then I know I'm perfect.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Lariat and above.
Does the 360 camera system still show a usable view when the mirrors are folded in? I would like to fold them in when backing out of the garage since I have smashed them before on the garage door rail. But it would be nice to still see the side camera view. Seems like it might throw the image off since the mirror camera is at a different angle when folded. Hope this makes sense.

WDWFordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Might sound nutty but, I use tape on the ground. Once I get the truck parked where I want it, I turn on the 360 cameras and were the reference lines are I put down tape on the floor. Then each time i park, i make sure the lines in the 360 camera line up with the tape on the ground then I know I'm perfect.
I do the same thing to back in my pop-up camper. I have tape lines on the floor and marks on the wall I can see in the camera on the back of the camper.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Does the 360 camera system still show a usable view when the mirrors are folded in? I would like to fold them in when backing out of the garage since I have smashed them before on the garage door rail. But it would be nice to still see the side camera view. Seems like it might throw the image off since the mirror camera is at a different angle when folded. Hope this makes sense.
It depends where the camera is...on the base of the stalk of the mirrors or on the folding mirrors themselves.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The camera is on the part of the mirror that folds in. You won't have a good 360 view.

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
when folded in the cameras are still on but don't line up like they should. Never tried but, i suppose you could use reference marks with the camera in the folded position since they are in fact still on.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You probably already thought of this….Whether or not to back in will also be influenced by the location of your EVSE and length of charging cable.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Brilliant!
Sponsored