• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford resumes heated Steering Wheel Repairs (was on hold)

dk21

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I am having a similar situation where the dealer was able to run the update and get the HSW icon to appear on my screen but it won't activate the HSW. The dealer says they keep getting an error that they need to reflash, but after reflashing they get the same error.
Sponsored

tubby

First Name
Press
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
This has been stated earlier in this thread, but I just surprisingly received a call directly from the Ford EV Team that this heating steering wheel module is on temporary hold. They did not have a time frame yet for when they would start receiving them again and shipping them to the dealers. They didn't say this, but I guess, keep the gloves on and just be patient and hopefully we will eventually get a completed truck. :)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Did you get a new steering wheel or did they use the existing one?
I ask because I was under the impression that heat delete meant none of the “hardware” was present at the time of build.
The part shown on the repair invoice is ML3Z*3F791*HB “Housing assembly - steering column.”

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Don't know if anyone wants to try it in forscan, but if they've done the upgrades and your HSW button won't work, you could see if you need to change this setting in the HVAC module:

733-01-04xxxxxxxx*x--
change 4 to 6 in that cell

You might need a test version of forscan to actually change the values on the HVAC module (need to contact forscan support for that), but you can at least see if it is set to 4 instead of 6.

Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Update!
My Ford Dealer called me and told me they received an updated piece of software (APIM) from FMC and that I could come in get me truck updated, so that the steering wheel will actually heat this time. They said it would take 10 minutes.
I showed up this Thursday morning, and sure enough 10 minutes later I had a functioning heated steering wheel.
I’m a very happy camper now that temps have dropped here in PA.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Update!
My Ford Dealer called me and told me they received an updated piece of software (APIM) from FMC and that I could come in get me truck updated, so that the steering wheel will actually heat this time. They said it would take 10 minutes.
I showed up this Thursday morning, and sure enough 10 minutes later I had a functioning heated steering wheel.
I’m a very happy camper now that temps have dropped here in PA.
Happy camper here too & heated steering makes a big difference - now if only $10k in price reduction could be rolled back!

Arrington.LCA

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Got my heated steering wheel CSP done yesterday at dealer. They never said anything about a hold. Warms up pretty good in my opinion. Minor problem though is that the buttons on the left side of steering wheel (volume and all the cruise control ones) don’t work now. I called dealer but my service tech was gone for the day so I have to wait till Monday to see if it’s a quick fix or something a little longer.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Got my heated steering wheel CSP done yesterday at dealer. They never said anything about a hold. Warms up pretty good in my opinion. Minor problem though is that the buttons on the left side of steering wheel (volume and all the cruise control ones) don’t work now. I called dealer but my service tech was gone for the day so I have to wait till Monday to see if it’s a quick fix or something a little longer.
Wow that is a nuisance & time waster for customers - typical for Ford.

OP
OP
Pitbull2o08

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Any numbers associated with the working new software/apim?
My dealer is saying there is no new software for my truck.

Sponsored
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Same here got the heated steering wheel CSP done and left buttons do not work. Waiting to hear back from the dealer

techmatters

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat ER Antimatter Blue
Frustrating situation all around, dealerships don't have correct/updated info and are inconsistent between each other and really seem to just make things up instead of just saying they don't have any guidance or experience.

10/11: Scheduled appointment with local dealer to get all the CSP/Recalls completed (particularly the heated steering wheel), I was told to come in so they can evaluate my truck to see what parts were needed. Drove up to the dealer only to be told they can't order the part and didn't even need to look at my truck, apologized for having me come in.

11/17: Scheduled appointment with further away dealer I purchased the truck from and they told me they will order the parts and have them within a few days. I called the day before the appt before I make the 2 hour round trip, they reassure me the parts are in and they'll be able to complete everything. I drive there the next morning, service manager checks me in and starts itemizing all the CSPs/Recalls, tells me he's going to double check with parts department before they start, comes back and says they can do everything but the heated steering wheel. Said there are 3 different part numbers depending on your model and they don't have the one I need and there lead time to get it would be end of the month. I leave with no service completed and just feel aggravated and my time not valued at all.

11/20: Call the local dealer again, I was told they don't have the part, can't order it, no lead time. Also my only option with them is to continue to call in every few weeks to check on status.

Today: I read on here the CSP is on hold, not once was anything mentioned from the multiple dealers I've spoke with on the matter.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Adjusted the thread title.

OP
OP
Pitbull2o08

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
The hold was lifted a couple weeks ago, the thread title was just not updated
I’m literally on the phone now with my service advisor and there is no software fix for my trucks heated steering wheel hold.
Sponsored