• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter?

sd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
The Ford email warns about using an adapter that was distributed by Ford. But, I'd like to not have to wait the 3 months for them to deliver it. I can have the Lectron model delivered in 2 days through Best Buy. For anyone who may be an expert, or has just used one of these successfully, do I have much to worry about if I go with the Lectron adapter for 3 months?
Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I would recommend the A2Z instead of Lectron. You probably can’t get is as quickly but there have been a number of problems with Lectron. Some people have had difficulty getting them to release from the Tesla connector and have even had to abandon them at the charger. The original A2Z can be tricky to get locked but they just switched to an improved design the should solve that problem.

Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? IMG_0455

Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? IMG_0453

Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? IMG_0454

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER. Less Tech than CT 😘
Occupation
Database developer
I’ve used my A2Z used many times, zero issues.

zinkscott

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Cloud Engineer
I have an A2Z adapter and I’ve used it at least 20 times without issue. I got it less than a week after the updates rolled out allowing charging at Tesla stations.

Sponsored

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
I have been VERY happy with the A2Z adaptor. Lots of long road trip miles with it and it has never let me down.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
My newly arrived Lectron Vortex, 1st try, was successful for 11kWh test at 110kW rate using Ford Plug&Charge. However, another 2024 Lightning XLT there before me, who had about 10 previously successful "supercharges" with his Lectron Vortex could not charge. He then tried my Vortex and still neither the Tesla app or Ford Plug & Charge worked for him. He was at 80% already, trying to get to 90% to have some trip insurance on his SR. Maybe Tesla said "no soup for you" when attempting to fill slower above 80%?

And he did have a past problem with pulling out the Tesla NACS plug unless he let it cool off a bit. He actually did a modification by Dremeling (grinding) a bit off the inside moving latch of the adapter receptacle and he says the sticking problem has not reoccurred. His also a newer Vortex direct from Lectron since the recall was issued. Another person said they needed to use a clamp to press the release button firmly enough to have it release, but I do not know when that one was purchased. Previous Vortex units were too loose in clamping? And some other recall for pre-May '24 units?

See this new thread about keeping the adapters cool for charging on hot days:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/psa-keep-your-tesla-nacs-adapter-cool.20224/

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Some people have had difficulty getting them to release from the Tesla connector and have even had to abandon them at the charger.
I wonder what the idle charges will add up to ?

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Since the superchargers opened up in February, I've used my A2Z adapter dozens of times now. It's very well engineered.

From experiences that I have had with other Lectron products, including a Level 1 charger that was drawing too much current from a 110V outlet, I wouldn't touch their stuff. I am totally unsurprised by the issues that people are having with their adapter.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
LECTRON and Supercharger charging for no less than 16 times in the last month, over 1,000 miles up and down Georgia and FLorida, and not a single issue.... works great.
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? live oak angle
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? turnpike hard
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? cordele charge.PNG

Sponsored

htobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I’ve posted elsewhere on the forum about my experience with the Lectron adapter I ended up using a clamp, but since reading about Grinding down the catch with the Dremel tool, I tried that. It seemed to work perfectly. It doesn’t take much and really isn’t very difficult to do, but if you have the time I would probably go with. A2Z

Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone successfully used an aftermarket NACS to CCS adapter? IMG_8962

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The Ford email warns about using an adapter that was distributed by Ford. But, I'd like to not have to wait the 3 months for them to deliver it. I can have the Lectron model delivered in 2 days through Best Buy. For anyone who may be an expert, or has just used one of these successfully, do I have much to worry about if I go with the Lectron adapter for 3 months?
I think you meant to say that it warns about using an adapter NOT distributed by Ford.

Lectron's initial model had to be recalled. Their revision has overheated and shutoff charging for at least one person in the high heat, whereas no one has posted that the Ford, or A2ZEV adapters have done that.

The A2ZEV adapter is temperature tested, along with many other tests. They recently redesigned theirs after some owners found the latching mechanism confusing.

A2ZEV's Typhoon Pro adapter is $193.50 using coupon code FORDFORUM. You'll find that much cheaper than the Lectron. And, if you also want a destination adapter (called Stellar), pick it in the dropdown menu and you'll see a price of $261, 20.2% off. They will ship within a week or so.

Many more people have used the A2ZEV adapter than the Lectron adapter, if that's of any concern to you. I myself have used both A2ZEV adapters many times. https://a2zevshop.com/?ref=Typhoon

EFG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, chevy bolt, bmw 1200rt, 23 ford t-bucke
Occupation
software developer
I have had a failure every time I charge using the Lectron when ambient temps are above approx 95 degrees. runs for about 20 minutes and then trips off. i am going to try the wet rag suggestion today when i charge.

htobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
For some reason, it seems the Lectron is more popular with the Rivian group

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
A2Z works fine (finicky lock that loosens up over time) on both my Lightning and my friend's Mach-E (he takes frequent trips from NC to NJ).
Sponsored