• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Here's one for ya ?

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Mechanic for American Airlines. GSE (ground equipment) 37 years. Worked on everything from Lawn mowers to Boeing 747's.
Just hardwired a Lectron 48amp V Box to my ceiling. Everything is beautiful. But just realized the on off switch is on the box. Is it ok to just leave it on 24/7 even when not charging .
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdub

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Just hardwired a Lectron 48amp V Box to my ceiling. Everything is beautiful. But just realized the on off switch is on the box. Is it ok to just leave it on 24/7 even when not charging .
Yes, you can program your charging to start late, when prices are lower! I plug my Lightning when I get home and it begins to charge after midnight.
Take Care
Tom

OP
OP
Iroc34a

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Mechanic for American Airlines. GSE (ground equipment) 37 years. Worked on everything from Lawn mowers to Boeing 747's.
Yes, you can program your charging to start late, when prices are lower! I plug my Lightning when I get home and it begins to charge after midnight.
Take Care
Tom
Thanks, but what I mean is. Can I leave the EVSE on 24/7 even when NOT charging. Will it damage the V Box ? On off switch is now on the ceiling.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks, but what I mean is. Can I leave the EVSE on 24/7 even when NOT charging. Will it damage the V Box ? On off switch is now on the ceiling.
Most have no switch, so yes. But ask them...

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I don't see a problem with it. The only thing that's really "on" is a standby circuit and communication/wifi module. The high current components are shut off by relay when it's not charging.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Just another electricity vampire taking small amounts of energy while idling.
There is another switch to turn it off though - the circuit breaker in your home panel.

OP
OP
Iroc34a

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
I don't see a problem with it. The only thing that's really "on" is a standby circuit and communication/wifi module. The high current components are shut off by relay when it's not charging.
Great,I was thinking the same. If I leave for 3 or more days, I'll climb a ladder and shut it off. Thanks

OP
OP
Iroc34a

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Not a good idea to use breaker as a daily switch
Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I'd just climb a step stool. If I was going to be gone a few days or more.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a good idea to use breaker as a daily switch
Yes, good point.

True in general, and when carry significant current which could cause arcing that will wear out a breaker.

However, somewhere I read that flipping a regular breaker, even under load, could be done 5,000 time before failure, so 13 years of daily flipping might be OK?

But I should have specified it would be better to be using an SWD rated breaker made for that situation. All single pole breakers 15-30A are rated for SWD and caan be flipped willy-nilly with no problems, but not all 2-poles, which is probably what the box in question is wired to.

SWD double pole ones will cost more though than non-SWD.

SWD breakers are generally used in commercial lighting where at the end of the day in a big store, they go to the breaker panel and flip all the breakers off, then the next day, flip them on before opening.

Anyway, a cheaper solution might be to just use a pole or something to shut it off from the ground using the switch on the unit if that is possible - or wire a separate switch to the wall somewhere like a 3-pole light switch arrangement maybe?

I assume the on/off switch on the box is just switching a small voltage/current and the charge current switching is done internally by a switching mechanism rated for that current and voltage.

I wonder if manual transfer switch breakers are rated SWD?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Iroc34a

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Yes, good point.

True in general, and when carry significant current which could cause arcing that will wear out a breaker.

However, somewhere I read that flipping a regular breaker, even under load, could be done 5,000 time before failure, so 13 years of daily flipping might be OK?

But I should have specified it would be better to be using an SWD rated breaker made for that situation. All single pole breakers 15-30A are rated for SWD and caan be flipped willy-nilly with no problems, but not all 2-poles, which is probably what the box in question is wired to.

SWD double pole ones will cost more though than non-SWD.

SWD breakers are generally used in commercial lighting where at the end of the day in a big store, they go to the breaker panel and flip all the breakers off, then the next day, flip them on before opening.

Anyway, a cheaper solution might be to just use a pole or something to shut it off from the ground using the switch on the unit if that is possible - or wire a separate switch to the wall somewhere like a 3-pole light switch arrangement maybe?

I assume the on/off switch on the box is just switching a small voltage/current and the charge current switching is done internally by a switching mechanism rated for that current and voltage.
Yup, a press on and off button. I'm pretty tall , so a step stool, or a running board would work.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
more info found in another forum, from the NEC

"...As ChrisF mentions, any mechanical device causes some wear when it operates. With that said, let us start by checking with the National Electrical Code (NEC).

NEC 2011
404.11 Circuit Breakers as Switches.
A hand-operable circuit breaker equipped with a lever or handle, or a power-operated circuit breaker capable of being opened by hand in the event of a power failure, shall be permitted to serve as a switch if it has the required number of poles.
Informational Note: See the provisions contained in 240.81 and 240.83.

So according to the NEC, circuit breakers can be used as switches with some provisions.

240.81 Indicating. Circuit breakers shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open “off” or closed “on” position. Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally, the “up” position of the handle shall be the “on” position.

240.83 Marking. (D) Used as Switches. Circuit breakers used as switches in 120-volt and 277-volt fluorescent lighting circuits shall be listed and shall be marked SWD or HID. Circuit breakers used as switches in high-intensity discharge lighting circuits shall be listed and shall be marked as HID.

If the circuit breaker clearly indicates the "on" and "off" position ("on" being up in vertically oriented situations), and the breaker is labeled "SWD" and/or "HID". Then the circuit breaker can be used as a switch, as far as NEC is concerned.

As for whether or not using a circuit breaker in this way causes damage to the circuit breaker, we'll look to the NEC's definition of a circuit breaker.

Circuit Breaker. A device designed to open and close a circuit by nonautomatic means and to open the circuit automatically on a predetermined overcurrent without damage to itself when properly applied within its rating.
..."
from: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/21685/does-turning-circuit-breakers-off-cause-wear

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Just another electricity vampire taking small amounts of energy while idling.
My Emporia measures about 0.6 kWh of idle energy to the FCSP per week, at my local energy rates that is 20 cents down the drain. Weekly total 21.7 kWh & todays charging session 21.1 kWh [once a week routine]

Ford F-150 Lightning Here's one for ya ? 1718499353308-v1
Ford F-150 Lightning Here's one for ya ? 1718499395712-pl

Last edited:

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
to my ceiling
The only concern is if the unit is recommended for that type of installation.

Most units are designed for wall mounting so that excess heat is carried up and away.

Mounting any electronics on a ceiling can cause some real problems and also be a hazard.

OP
OP
Iroc34a

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
The only concern is if the unit is recommended for that type of installation.

Most units are designed for wall mounting so that excess heat is carried up and away.

Mounting any electronics on a ceiling can cause some real problems and also be a hazard.
Hmm, I'll have to look into that. No vents or fans inside. I've used it twice now. Checking everything with an infrared thermometer. But I'll have to call the manufacturer and ask.
Sponsored