• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

High Battery Temp / Powertrain Malfuncion after DC fast charging

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Took a trip from Vegas to Southern California a month ago and noticed elevated temps in the battery. Stayed in the "normal" range, but like others said... it took a while to come down. It has been 110+ here in Vegas for a while now and even when grabbing the truck from my garage (when plugged in) the temp is somewhere between the middle and the upper normal range.

I leave the day after tomorrow to head back to SoCal. The temp in Baker (EA charger) is supposed to be 117 that day. I am nervous, but we are taking the truck anyway.

I have never gotten outside of the normal range so maybe this is just typical for an EV trying to drive across the surface of the sun (feels that way). And generally, when it is hot, the air cooling system is LOUD.

Wish me luck... I will report back how it goes.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Took a trip from Vegas to Southern California a month ago and noticed elevated temps in the battery. Stayed in the "normal" range, but like others said... it took a while to come down. It has been 110+ here in Vegas for a while now and even when grabbing the truck from my garage (when plugged in) the temp is somewhere between the middle and the upper normal range.

I leave the day after tomorrow to head back to SoCal. The temp in Baker (EA charger) is supposed to be 117 that day. I am nervous, but we are taking the truck anyway.

I have never gotten outside of the normal range so maybe this is just typical for an EV trying to drive across the surface of the sun (feels that way). And generally, when it is hot, the air cooling system is LOUD.

Wish me luck... I will report back how it goes.
Past couple summers I've road tripped across southern AZ and NM in 110F+ temps. It handles it fine, just be prepared for slightly slower charging speeds. Even with preconditioning I quickly dropped to the 80-90kW range.

NAVEWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USAF Navigator/Electronic Warfare Officer
I took a trip from Tucson to Phoenix this past weekend (7-20-2024) Temps in Tucson were 109F and reached 115F in Phoenix. Never DC fast charged before this trip but wanted to use some of my EA 250KwH credit. Battery temp gauge was as high as I’ve ever seen it but stayed halfway between that middle marker and the high end of the gauge. First DCFC attempt was only getting 30Kw. A Mustang Mach E on another charger said he was getting 100Kw so I moved to his stall when he left. Not so for me. Only reached 60Kw. So decided to head back to Tucson. Stopped at the Marana EA station and plugged into a 350Kw stall. Initially said 166Kw for less than a minute and steadily dropped down to 92Kw. Needed the juice so stayed there for 45 minutes to go from 32% to 80%.

After reading some of the threads here I took a look at my coolant expansion tank and like many others it is just below the MIN line. I have a call into the dealer but have not heard back yet. I have a 2023 Lariat ER with the Max Tow Package. I had hoped the extra cooling from Max Tow would mitigate the heat of living in the desert southwest.

Electric motor temp stayed pegged dead center but battery temp as noted was elevated. Speeds were kept between 75 and 77 mph as posted and cabin air was set to 77F.

So add me to the pile of concerned owners with the max tow package wondering if something is not right with that cooling loop.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
After reading some of the threads here I took a look at my coolant expansion tank and like many others it is just below the MIN line. I have a call into the dealer but have not heard back yet.
That's about the correct level, most of our trucks come out of the factory with the level at that point.

NAVEWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That's about the correct level, most of our trucks come out of the factory with the level at that point.
Makes sense I guess when you reflect it is an “expansion “ tank. If you fill it there is no room for coolant expansion. I’m still concerned about the battery temperature going high with the slow charging but will see what the dealer says. Never saw any messages or alerts as others have.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Makes sense I guess when you reflect it is an “expansion “ tank. If you fill it there is no room for coolant expansion. I’m still concerned about the battery temperature going high with the slow charging but will see what the dealer says. Never saw any messages or alerts as others have.
I'd think your truck is fine if she isn't tossing codes or a MIL lamp.

NAVEWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'd think your truck is fine if she isn't tossing codes or a MIL lamp.
So just got back from the dealer. They topped off the coolant tank in the frunk. I had them take a look for any codes on the Max Tow package compressor. There were none. The technician remarks indicate he pulled .276 kg freon from the system. He then filled it with .312 kg freon. After getting back home...I looked in the owners manual and it is confusing. It lists 3 variants with different freon levels. It lists "Base", then "Max Trailer Tow" and finally "Battery Cooling System". The Battery Cooling System shows .312 kg as the correct capacity. However, I have the Max Trailer Tow package and I'm wondering if the correct capacity should be .61 kg?

He did find oil on the High Side service port cap and ended up replacing three schroeder valves (his spelling) So apparently there was leaking going on but no codes or MIL lamp.

As I ponder this...the Base variant gets .765 kg total. The Max Trailer package then gets .61 kg for the cabin, motors and all but the battery...then adds .312 kg just for the battery loop or .922 kg total for the two cooling loops. So need you folks to check my logic but if correct...the technician did fill the battery coolant side to the correct level at .312 kg. Right???

Ford F-150 Lightning High Battery Temp / Powertrain Malfuncion after DC fast charging Screenshot 2024-08-19 at 1.11.42 PM

Last edited:

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Would issues like this be something only covered during the bumper to bumper warranty or would this be something that is handled by the BEV hardware 8yr/100k?

I've been relatively trouble free with my truck but would rather not eat the out of pocket costs associated with replacing all the AC system.
Sponsored