• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to Set Charging Time So it Finishes at a set time

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
On my Bolt, I can set the charging time to complete at about the time I leave each day so the battery is warm and conditioned when I leave, helps in the Winter months in Minnesota.

On the Lightning, I set the charging period for my least expensive time and it starts charging as soon as that time starts and typically completes charging by 1 or 2 am.

Not sure if I’m missing that setting on the Lightning or if it the Lightning doesn’t have this feature.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
To the best of my knowledge, the Lightning doesn't have this feature - which would be really nice to have!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Look for Departure in the charging section of the center screen or you can do it from the App under Charge Settings. It’s the only way to precondition.

Ford F-150 Lightning How to Set Charging Time So it Finishes at a set time IMG_2298

OP
OP

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
This doesn’t set the charging so it completes just before the designated drive time. I have set the departure time to 6:30, but it still start the charge at 9pm and completes charging about 1am. Then preconditions in the morning. Not what I would like.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I try to get mine to complete charging about the time I have to leave in the morning. Takes a bit of math, and having to set the amperage on the FCSP, but it can be done.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
On my Bolt, I can set the charging time to complete at about the time I leave each day so the battery is warm and conditioned when I leave, …
I have set the departure time to 6:30, but it still start the charge at 9pm and completes charging about 1am. Then preconditions in the morning.
Charging does not precondition. The truck will do what needs to do to optimize the battery for charging while charging. Preconditioning optimizes the battery for driving, with the added capability to precondition the cabin.
I can’t quantify the difference, but you could with CarScanner. The difference will probably vary with the ambient temperature.

mkramer69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
On my Bolt, I can set the charging time to complete at about the time I leave each day so the battery is warm and conditioned when I leave, helps in the Winter months in Minnesota.

On the Lightning, I set the charging period for my least expensive time and it starts charging as soon as that time starts and typically completes charging by 1 or 2 am.

Not sure if I’m missing that setting on the Lightning or if it the Lightning doesn’t have this feature.

This would be a great feature, but currently not offered. I use a Wallbox Pulsar + to charge at home and I dial the amps back to have it finish charging a couple minutes before my departure time. I verify by adjusting the amperage then flip over to the Ford Pass App and see what the new estimated time to complete is. Sometimes i have to go back and forth a couple of times until i have it set just right. I only do this when I'm charging to 100% (for a long trip) and don't want the truck sitting with that high SOC for more than a few minutes.

Not ideal... but it works if you have a WiFi enabled EVSE that lets you fine tune the amperage.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This doesn’t set the charging so it completes just before the designated drive time. I have set the departure time to 6:30, but it still start the charge at 9pm and completes charging about 1am. Then preconditions in the morning. Not what I would like.
You cannot set a Ford EV, including the Lightning, to complete charging at a designated time, only the start time and end time (i.e. do not charge after time). So if you set it for 9PM, it's going to start then and finish when it finishes. As noted, you can change the amps to be lower, so it chargers slower, but that's not going to precondition as Maquis noted.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
If you set the departure time, it prioritizes charging for the departure time. My experience is that it doesn't delay charging to align with a full charge for your departure as others have confirmed, but can extend charging/preconditioning beyond your scheduled charge times if your departure time requires it.
Ford F-150 Lightning How to Set Charging Time So it Finishes at a set time IMG_3678.PNG

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I expected departure time to aim to hit the charge target at that time as well. As that doesn't work, I've just been setting a lower limit like ~80% setting (73% actual), then clicking "charge to 100%" an hour or so before I plan to leave. The 80A charger charges at 12.5%/h until it slows down in the last couple of percent.

It's annoying that it's a manual button push. I heard folks were using Siri Shortcuts to automate this sort of thing since Ford doesn't build it in.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I expected departure time to aim to hit the charge target at that time as well. As that doesn't work, I've just been setting a lower limit like ~80% setting (73% actual), then clicking "charge to 100%" an hour or so before I plan to leave. The 80A charger charges at 12.5%/h until it slows down in the last couple of percent.

It's annoying that it's a manual button push. I heard folks were using Siri Shortcuts to automate this sort of thing since Ford doesn't build it in.
Just to be clear, that's not the same as a departure time. A departure time warms the battery and then preps the cabin. Charging won't necessarily warm the battery to the same level as will a departure time.
Sponsored