• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Looks like it, if it's 6GB that is it. :) It takes a while to complete due to the size but the nice thing is once it gets to the USB stick part the car is running engine on so that is nice. Sit in the nice AC. :)
I used FDRS to update my '22 Lariat with everything available as of a couple of months ago but no USB stick was involved. How do these USB-stick updates work?
Sponsored

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
I'm doing the APIM in FDRS currently. The USB is in the running truck and it says it is updating. It's been doing this for over an hour now. Not sure if it just takes a while or of there is an issue.

EDIT: Gave up last night and just turned the truck off. Got in this morning and it had the new interface and said the update was successful. Hooked it back up to FDRS and the GWM showed up. Doing that now.

Last edited:

Robob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24’ Flash
Occupation
Auto Parts & Paint/Body Supplies
I got my 24 flash yesterday after my MME met an early end. Had to go do a few GWM/Door modules/ and two APIM updates in one sitting. The last one was the 6gb update and it did take 25-35min to download and transfer as well as another 30min or so in the truck copying from usb.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I used FDRS to update my '22 Lariat with everything available as of a couple of months ago but no USB stick was involved. How do these USB-stick updates work?
Find a 64gb USB 3.1 (or 3.2) USB drive with the fastest transfer rate you can get (some people use a NVMe SSD in an enclosure).

I have some Sandisk "Extreme" USB drives that are perfect, but for some reason aren't made anymore. Format the drive as exFat, default allocation size, and with a drive name that's short (like "Ford"). FDRS will tell you when to insert the drive to copy the files, and then when to insert that into the truck.

After every single USB based update you need to reformat that drive before using it again. Takes a second to do, but you don't want to have files from a previous update on the drive when trying to do the next update. Always reformat before doing the next USB update.

Last edited:

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
So some updates just require the use of the USB stick, or is it an optional method I can select somehow?

It would be nice to not sit there babysitting the Mongoose for hours!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm doing the APIM in FDRS currently. The USB is in the running truck and it says it is updating. It's been doing this for over an hour now. Not sure if it just takes a while or of there is an issue.

EDIT: Gave up last night and just turned the truck off. Got in this morning and it had the new interface and said the update was successful. Hooked it back up to FDRS and the GWM showed up. Doing that now.
Yeah, that APIM was huge. I've seen that behavior before, I just let it run and went and did something else for a while. It was finished and said to shut off the truck when I came back after a half hour.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So some updates just require the use of the USB stick, or is it an optional method I can select somehow?

It would be nice to not sit there babysitting the Mongoose for hours!
GWM, APIM, TCU, sometimes the IPC.

Those are the ones I can think of right now.

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
Completed the GWM and no more DTCs. Did a DSM and TRM as well and took it for a drive. One interesting thing is that when I checked for software updates it mentioned the 6.14 had completed. It must have tried to download the OTA when I was also doing it through FDRS. Maybe that is why it took so long to complete the APIM. Regardless, glad the DTCs are finally gone. It is also nice being able to read the release notes.

• Camera: I noticed that the "X" now appears when you hit the camera button while driving, so that bug is fixed. However, the black box around my vehicle when I display any of the cameras is still there.
  • Locks: I had previously enabled the walk away toggle in Forscan since I already had the BCM update. That toggle is still there, but noticed one for preventing the truck from being unlocked from the inside once locked.
  • AM Radio: I already had AM radio enabled on my 22, but I noticed the 6.14 release notes mentioned that is said "AM broadcast radio is now available...".

jhawkbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS IMG_2490

My first OTA in 14 months. I guess doing the updates through FDRS put my truck back in line for them.
However, it’s show as Not Completed.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IMG_2490.jpeg

My first OTA in 14 months. I guess doing the updates through FDRS put my truck back in line for them.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1FTVW1EV7PWG06644-31-Aug-24OTA

Time to get out the gear and the USB drive again....
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1FTVW1EV7PWG06644-31-Aug-24

Do the GWM first then the TCU.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
IMG_2490.jpeg

I've copied this post into a distinct thread under OTA's node for others to reflect about.

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Looks like it, if it's 6GB that is it. :) It takes a while to complete due to the size but the nice thing is once it gets to the USB stick part the car is running engine on so that is nice. Sit in the nice AC. :)
How long (roughly) should a 6GB USB update take to install?

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
How long (roughly) should a 6GB USB update take to install?
I didn't time it but I would say a couple of hours if not a little more for the whole update to install and finish.

Reactions: GDN