OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Ha the AI notes generated in FDRS are pretty amusing.

On 10/5/2024, the vehicle underwent multiple software updates across various modules. The updates began at 2:27 PM with initial network and self-tests confirming the functionality of numerous systems such as ABS, ACM, APIM, BCM, and others. The Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) experienced repeated software update attempts due to a failure to locate the manifest file in FENIX responses, necessitating multiple retries and adjustments including turning the ignition on and off and ensuring power stability with an external power supply. All APIM updates essentially followed the procedure of updating using USB software, which required ensuring the ignition settings were correct and patience for the SYNC system to confirm the update’s installation which was successful as per the last button press confirmed by the user.

Subsequently, the Gateway Module A (GWM) and Telematics Control Unit (TCU) underwent similar updates, involving USB software application, selecting drive options, and waiting for SYNC responses. Each module required the vehicle's ignition to be toggled between off and on states strategically according to the update’s needs. For GWM, after the update, a key aspect was to leave the vehicle off to ensure completion. The final update steps involved confirming the installation success before finishing each module's application.

Moreover, the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module, and various other control modules including SOBDM, SOBDMC, SOBDMB, BECM, GFM2, CMR, DDCM, HVAC, and PDM all underwent software updates following the structured protocol of connecting to an external power supply, appropriate ignition toggling, and update application through USB system responses. Each component's update concluded with a series of network tests and self-tests to ensure complete systemic functionality and update integration without errors, confirming the updates' successes systematically. The final network and self-test at 8:26 PM verified that all systems were operational.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

And here was my Friday afternoon. Out of order but was trying to get it on 1 page and avoid all the self/network tests. Was up to 6.8 in a Dec 2023 Built Lariat prior to Friday.

1728186693814-5j.jpg
Ya know, I had the "failed to get manifest from FENIX" thing several times during my last two APIM updates, but I eventually got the downloads to work. They say it's a network issue when that happens, but it must be on Ford's end, cause every other update done during the same session seems to download fine. Just not the APIM.
Sponsored

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
This has been said before and it's worth repeating:

For those FDRS updates that need a USB, using a small portable SSD with a USB dongle can save a LOT of time when coupled with a hardwired Internet connection to the laptop because of the SSD's much faster read / write speed for really large files like the IPMA and some APIM updates.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
This has been said before and it's worth repeating:

For those FDRS updates that need a USB, using a small portable SSD with a USB dongle can save a LOT of time when coupled with a hardwired Internet connection to the laptop because of the SSD's much faster read / write speed for really large files like the IPMA and some APIM updates.
USB SSDs having higher speeds than Flash drives was bonkers to me, but looks to generally be correct.

I did see this guide that highlights very fast "Thumb" drives for those that want a smaller solution. Although it looks like a couple of these are just m.2 SSDs in stick form.

https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-flash-drives

The high speed adat drive at $45 for 500gb is pretty affordable too

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Oh believe me, it does speed the USB updates up by a lot.

I now keep the dedicated SSD in the glove compartment, just for such times.
Sponsored