First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
A good friend of mine is a mechanic that works on Mercedes, BMW, Lamborghini, etc. And has his NASTF certification. We tried to login with his credentials, a couple months ago, but we’re unsuccessful! I have not tried it again, but based on that time when we tried, I do not know if it is possible without Ford specific login, even though that screen pops up on FDRS??
Someone of the ICE forum just tried it with the free account last night and was not able to. I don't think there will be a way around this going forward.
Sponsored

PJnc284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning
I didn't even bother trying it. Dealer had to order the battery sensor last time I was there so I'll see if I can talk them into updating it when they finally call me to install the sensor. How long did the BCM update take? Just checked and have another TRM showing so guess I'll take care of that in a bit and check again tomorrow before the 2 day subscription expires.

Last edited:

shelnian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER, 2023 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Retired
I had 1049 and just updated to 1076 with the new icons. All joyous 6GB worth. Then got a gateway and now onto another 6GB APIM. o_O
I have an XLT so don't have the 15" screen which may be why I haven't seen another APIM update. Checked again this morning.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I didn't even bother trying it. Dealer had to order the battery sensor last time I was there so I'll see if I can talk them into updating it when they finally call me to install the sensor. How long did the BCM update take? Just checked and have another TRM showing so guess I'll take care of that in a bit and check again tomorrow before the 2 day subscription expires.
Minutes. The BCM is quick.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

Sponsored

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Mobile tech did BCM in 5 minutes and IPMA in 42 minutes
1728171842790-pd.jpg
That's probably with a Ford VCMIII device. Those are WAYYY faster than our Mongooses (Mongeese?) I had a chance to try one, months ago.

If the VCM did the IPMA update in 42 minutes, then our Mongoose = 2 hours or just a bit longer.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
That's probably with a Ford VCMIII device. Those are WAYYY faster than our Mongooses (Mongeese?) I had a chance to try one, months ago.

If the VCM did the IPMA update in 42 minutes, then our Mongoose = 2 hours or just a bit longer.
That’s amazing 42 minutes! I’ve not done an ipma that took less than at least 2 hrs or more! I love the mongoose but it’s slow for sure. lol.

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
About three times as fast for about three times the price if the $1500 is correct!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

I got those times from @Mike G who looked up my VIN on FDRS after the tech left. I think it would be cool if all you Mongeese folks (and the one China VCM clone) start posting your FDRS session logs with times.

Fyi the tech told me he did the APIM and FHCM but he didn’t. I’ve decided to get in the loaner queue and do them myself.

PJnc284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning
Ha the AI notes generated in FDRS are pretty amusing.

On 10/5/2024, the vehicle underwent multiple software updates across various modules. The updates began at 2:27 PM with initial network and self-tests confirming the functionality of numerous systems such as ABS, ACM, APIM, BCM, and others. The Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) experienced repeated software update attempts due to a failure to locate the manifest file in FENIX responses, necessitating multiple retries and adjustments including turning the ignition on and off and ensuring power stability with an external power supply. All APIM updates essentially followed the procedure of updating using USB software, which required ensuring the ignition settings were correct and patience for the SYNC system to confirm the update’s installation which was successful as per the last button press confirmed by the user.

Subsequently, the Gateway Module A (GWM) and Telematics Control Unit (TCU) underwent similar updates, involving USB software application, selecting drive options, and waiting for SYNC responses. Each module required the vehicle's ignition to be toggled between off and on states strategically according to the update’s needs. For GWM, after the update, a key aspect was to leave the vehicle off to ensure completion. The final update steps involved confirming the installation success before finishing each module's application.

Moreover, the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module, and various other control modules including SOBDM, SOBDMC, SOBDMB, BECM, GFM2, CMR, DDCM, HVAC, and PDM all underwent software updates following the structured protocol of connecting to an external power supply, appropriate ignition toggling, and update application through USB system responses. Each component's update concluded with a series of network tests and self-tests to ensure complete systemic functionality and update integration without errors, confirming the updates' successes systematically. The final network and self-test at 8:26 PM verified that all systems were operational.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

And here was my Friday afternoon. Out of order but was trying to get it on 1 page and avoid all the self/network tests. Was up to 6.8 in a Dec 2023 Built Lariat prior to Friday.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1728186693814-5

Last edited:

Robob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24’ Flash
Occupation
Auto Parts & Paint/Body Supplies
I have the Bosch MasterTech 2 I got on sale from one of my suppliers that was trying to clear them out for 1100. Bosch makes the VCM3 for Ford/Rotunda and this is the same unit just a different color. The driver included even lists the VCM3 in the files.

It takes 45-55min on the IPMA depending on the update and file size, but I would say for FDRS most of the bugs or freezing /slow issues I have had are always with the program itself and how its programmed. So I have a newish laptop that I only use for FDRS and Forscan.

In the end I say save the cash and get a newer dedicated laptop to use with FDRS/Forscan so you don’t have to worry about the software and its quirks slowing you down the most.
Sponsored

Last edited: