Sponsored

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I would like to see some tests performed on air deflectors such as this one in the video. Come spring I plan on pulling my camping trailer & would like to improve the range if at all possible. I don't particularly like how this one attaches but would like to know how much it improves the range. Someone in the comments section said it helped his ICE vehcle by 1 mpg. That doesn't seem like much of an improvement, guess all helps though.

On their website some comments say they are saving 20 - 25% in fuel.
https://www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-wind-deflector/
Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Yes, they are matching the paint. $3,180. I’m not sure about the camera.
C08FAD3D-6944-4941-BC26-6D8F93E12FF6.png
Did you end up putting this on? I can't see your first page for some reason...they want $8K for it now!

FMarkus

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Occupation
MotorTrend Technical Director
I'm not sure if anybody's still monitoring this thread, but I'm an editor at MotorTrend chaperoning a long-term Lightning test vehicle for a year. I watched Wouter Remmerie's video (touting the potential 14.8% improvement that might come from smoothing airflow from the back of the bed to the tailgate )with great interest, reached out to MVS, and they've built and installed a prototype AeroX cap on our truck. It looks awesome (see pic).

I have also reached out to AirShaper CEO Wouter Remmerie to better understand that 14.8% figure. That's relative to a baseline of ICE PowerBoost hybrid F-150 with an open bed. Hes notes that a simple tonneau is good for around 4-5 percent improvement, so we should expect more like 10% if replacing a tonneau with the AeroX hatchback cap.

Has anyone here dabbled with any aero improvements? Maybe attempted fabricating and installing any sort of underbody aero panels? I am desperately trying to slicken up our truck enough to allow me to drive 80 mph (the safest speed flowing with traffic in Michigan) without torpedoing the range. Watch MotorTrend in the coming weeks for test results.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lowering drag coefficient by 14.8%? IMG_8304

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
That's an interesting add-on you have. Do you have any pics of it open? Any idea if that company is going to actually make it? Did you do any efficiency tests of your own or have any anecdotal guess on how it's affected your mileage? They seem to have some similar ones that are like 4k$ plus...did they indicate what a production one of yours might cost?

Sponsored

FMarkus

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Occupation
They've been producing them for the 2015-2020 F-150 for a while, but the 2021 and newer box/cab is different enough that MVS had to prototype this one. No results yet, but we'll run our full battery of range tests eventually. Note that this design was originally intended strictly for looks. Not sure if they'll productionize it.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Hell yeah. I always liked how those looked, glad to see one finally adapted to the lightning box. If they don't want it back when you're done, I'd happily give it a good home.

FMarkus

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Oh, they’re definitely taking it back when we are done. And I don’t have shots of it open yet. Will add when it comes back.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Cool product. It has to be an aero improvement. Presumably, the space between the back of the cab and the tailgate now has laminer air flow or something close to the, whereas a stock truck would have turbulent air flow in that area. The giant flat tailgate will still create a big low pressure area though.

If someone were really interested in max range at high speed the sloped roof idea could be carried out further by opening the tailgate and fabricating a continuation of the slope to the end of the open gate. It's not super practical but would be interesting. Hint, hint @FMarkus.😁

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’m really skeptical of those aero improvement claims. I remember reading tests of the claimed efficiency improvements of tonneau covers on ICE trucks and any gain was barely measurable, if any at all. I’ll be really interested in your range test results.

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
I wonder if it would be more practical to make that windowless. I would think it would lower the cost and make it more secure from thieves. It's not like you'd really need the rear-view mirror with the backup cameras and such.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm not sure if anybody's still monitoring this thread, but I'm an editor at MotorTrend chaperoning a long-term Lightning test vehicle for a year. I watched Wouter Remmerie's video (touting the potential 14.8% improvement that might come from smoothing airflow from the back of the bed to the tailgate )with great interest, reached out to MVS, and they've built and installed a prototype AeroX cap on our truck. It looks awesome (see pic).

I have also reached out to AirShaper CEO Wouter Remmerie to better understand that 14.8% figure. That's relative to a baseline of ICE PowerBoost hybrid F-150 with an open bed. Hes notes that a simple tonneau is good for around 4-5 percent improvement, so we should expect more like 10% if replacing a tonneau with the AeroX hatchback cap.

Has anyone here dabbled with any aero improvements? Maybe attempted fabricating and installing any sort of underbody aero panels? I am desperately trying to slicken up our truck enough to allow me to drive 80 mph (the safest speed flowing with traffic in Michigan) without torpedoing the range. Watch MotorTrend in the coming weeks for test results.

IMG_8304.jpg
Looks are subjective. I think it looks like ass. But I'm interested in your findings.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500

IMG_8304.jpg
That’s awesome! Can’t wait to see the results!

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Is your looking to improve efficiency maybe you could try lower the truck. I would be surprised is someone like icon wouldn’t take you up on free advertising. I would love to see the results as well!

FMarkus

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Hmm. Interesting thought, though I'd only attempt that if the kit included air bags that could also raise it up to stock or above. Wouldn't want to compromise functionality. I may check them out though. Thanks!
Sponsored