• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NACS adapter modifications

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The adapters all have their own overheat protection. I suspect it is a simple thermister switch that opens the data connection wire which will in turn shut down the charging process. You would need one on each end to ensure neither connection point overheats.

You will be needing something significantly larger than 0 gauge for the wire if not actively cooled. 160kw/350 volts is going to be around 500 amps. You are likely going to need something even bigger than 4/0. More like some 313 kcmil or 373 kcmil for some extra margin.

I would use DLO rated cable instead of just welding wire - the difference being the ruggedness and voltage rating of the insulator.

Last edited:

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
The adapters all have their own overheat protection. I suspect it is a simple thermister switch that opens the data connection wire which will in turn shut down the charging process. You would need one on each end to ensure neither connection point overheats.

You will be needing something significantly larger than 0 gauge for the wire if not actively cooled. 160kw/350 volts is going to be around 500 amps. You are going to need something bigger than 4/0. More like some 313 kcmil or 373 kcmil for some extra margin.

I would use DLO rated cable instead of just welding wire - the difference being the ruggedness and voltage rating of the insulator.

Sounds like it'd be quite a bit hefty at that rate; in both cost AND weight.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Honestly - I have just completed a 2,800 mile road trip using almost exclusively Tesla stations and as long as you pull up sufficiently close - there is no need to have an extension. It will be nice when they add longer cables someday but I would not risk damaging the adapter or possibly causing expensive damage to the truck by MacGyvering an extension to the adapter - just not worth the time and risk in my opinion.

Sponsored

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
I've now used MANY MANY Tesla Superchargers with my LECTRON adapter and have never had a need for any 'extension', although it's true that the initial thought might make you think you have to have one... it's not true.

Are there times and units that aren't situated well for us large trucks with front left-side charge ports: yes. But, it can be overcome by using another unit, or situating the truck correctly, and sometimes unconventionally, to get close enough, EVEN WITH A CAMPER.

If you arrive at a supercharger during the middle of the day, be prepared to struggle to find a space NO MATTER what type of vehicle you have.
If you arrive at a supercharger that doesn't have the optimal layout, be prepared to take measures to hop a curb, or situate your truck in a lane, etc... it is what it is.
Most of the time, though, none of that is required. Pull straight in and, yes, take two spaces, but, it's just how things work right now. I've done it several times, but yet there were not enough other 'teslas' to make an issue of it.
TIMING of your stops can also add to the ease, as EARLY and LATE are the best measures.
I bought and tried the Lectron adapter at a Tesla VERFIED juice station for my Lightning and IT DID NOT WORK. Waste of 175$ if you ask me. I had a Tesla account all lined out but NO juice. POS

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I bought and tried the Lectron adapter at a Tesla VERFIED juice station for my Lightning and IT DID NOT WORK. Waste of 175$ if you ask me. I had a Tesla account all lined out but NO juice. POS
It didn't do anything? Mine doesn't plug and charge, but when I start the charge in the tesla app it has worked every time (I'm using the Ford supplied one though)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Provide the location you tried to charge at. I don't know what a "verified juice station" is. I'm betting on user error.

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
Provide the location you tried to charge at. I don't know what a "verified juice station" is. I'm betting on user error.
Tesla Superchatger location Kissimmee Fl on the loop. Juice = electricity

Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I like to DIY stuff but high voltage is where I draw the line. Not going to try and MacGyver a 400 volt cable.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
It's sort of a silly exercise, since Tesla and A2Z are coming out with extensions. And, having charge with the truck at Tesla locations, it's also not necessary.
Honestly - I have just completed a 2,800 mile road trip using almost exclusively Tesla stations and as long as you pull up sufficiently close - there is no need to have an extension. It will be nice when they add longer cables someday but I would not risk damaging the adapter or possibly causing expensive damage to the truck by MacGyvering an extension to the adapter - just not worth the time and risk in my opinion.
It's fine until it's not. El Centro, CA gets pretty busy since it's the only place between Yuma and San Diego. 8 stalls, one of them broken at the super charger. When there's a line of people waiting, there are only a couple you can access without blocking others off. I see value in it, and may buy one just to not be an a-hole in that situation.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Tesla Superchatger location Kissimmee Fl on the loop. Juice = electricity
if it is the SC at 751 Centerview Blvd it should have worked? I haven't gotten the Plug and charge update yet, so I have to initiate through the app. Did you try that? If that doesn't work and you are sure you have the adapter connected right, I would contact A2Z, they have been very responsive to customers. I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in this thread to try help you.
Sponsored