• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
It shouldn’t change, because a charge port at the back of a truck is dumb.
Yeah, but if they moved the charge port to the right front, it would work well with Tesla's Superchargers. The way they're set up, the stalls work well for a vehicle with a charge port near the left rear corner that is backed into the stall or with a vehicle with a charge port near the right front corner that is pulled in forwards.
Sponsored

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Anything on the passenger side is a much less convenient location for home charging.
If a charge port on the passenger side was inconvenient pulling forward into my garage, wouldn't it work well if I backed in? I've charged a few EVs with charge ports in different places in my garage, some pulled in forwards and some backed in. It's never been much of an issue.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
If a charge port on the passenger side was inconvenient pulling forward into my garage, wouldn't it work well if I backed in? I've charged a few EVs with charge ports in different places in my garage, some pulled in forwards and some backed in. It's never been much of an issue.
You still would need room in your garage on both sides of the truck. Room to get in and out of the driver's door, and room to access the passenger side charging port.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Yeah, but if they moved the charge port to the right front, it would work well with Tesla's Superchargers. The way they're set up, the stalls work well for a vehicle with a charge port near the left rear corner that is backed into the stall or with a vehicle with a charge port near the right front corner that is pulled in forwards.
Having used Superchargers dozens of times with my Lightning, it really isn't a big deal with the current setup. In the real world, it is rarely an issue on roadtrips outside of metro areas. In rural areas, we're often the only EV at a Supercharger location.

Even if Ford moved it to the other side/dummy port, Tesla's shorty cables still might not be long enough. You don't want the port on the front of the truck in the crash/crumple zone. If you have an on-road or off-road fender bender, you still want to be able to charge the thing. It's a truck and meant to do truck stuff.

Ford F-150 Lightning Next Gen F-150 Lightning Spied w/8 Lug Wheels & Hub Motors (Larger Battery?) Benchmarking Cybertruck IMG_4644-EDIT (1)

Ford F-150 Lightning Next Gen F-150 Lightning Spied w/8 Lug Wheels & Hub Motors (Larger Battery?) Benchmarking Cybertruck IMG_5198-EDIT

Ford F-150 Lightning Next Gen F-150 Lightning Spied w/8 Lug Wheels & Hub Motors (Larger Battery?) Benchmarking Cybertruck IMG_4492-EDIT

Tdub

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
T3 has been shelved for now.
There's been a steady flow of software updates over the past couple of weeks.
I haven’t had a software update since July 2, 2024?!

Sponsored

Mike37

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning; 2010 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
There's been a steady flow of software updates over the past couple of weeks.
Still waiting for software updates. Last one was ECG-24.2.4.9 in June. Where is the “more consistent update experience” And “more dependable update experience”?

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Having used Superchargers dozens of times with my Lightning, it really isn't a big deal with the current setup. In the real world, it is rarely an issue on roadtrips outside of metro areas. In rural areas, we're often the only EV at a Supercharger location.

Even if Ford moved it to the other side/dummy port, Tesla's shorty cables still might not be long enough. You don't want the port on the front of the truck in the crash/crumple zone. If you have an on-road or off-road fender bender, you still want to be able to charge the thing. It's a truck and meant to do truck stuff.

IMG_4644-EDIT (1).jpg

IMG_5198-EDIT.jpg

IMG_4492-EDIT.jpg

Have you made any trips up north to Maine this year since the Tesla rollout? About time to figure out my gameplan for this years trip.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Have you made any trips up north to Maine this year since the Tesla rollout? About time to figure out my gameplan for this years trip.
Yes, we've made several runs. I still use the EVGo in downtown Portland, but it totally has changed our charge stop plan on the way up and back. Access to the V3 Superchargers doubles your options on the trip.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
T3 has not been shelved, just delayed: Ford was originally suggesting that the T3 would debut in the second half of 2025, and it is now delayed until 2026. Either way, the T3 is a model-year-2026 vehicle: it is just a question of when it will arrive during the model year.

I agree with the overall suggestion that this is a testbed for an F-250 Lightning. We know from Ford's statements that this is not the T3 (they've explicitly said that the T3 isn't larger than an F-150). However, it does make sense as an evolutionary move. An electric F-250 should be able to carry more batteries, but overall should have the same aerodynamics as an F-150, resulting in longer ranges and better utility for towing use cases.

I expect that 2026 will be a big year for Ford EVs. The T3 is expected during that year, and the Blue Oval City battery and vehicle plants should be coming on line. This is within the expected timeframe for a new F-series generation, and Ford's existing 400V EV architecture will be looking pretty antiquated by then -- so this is a great time (say, +/- a model year or so) to roll out new versions of the Mach-E and Lightning (both with improved efficency and 800V architectures for faster charging) along with whatever the T3 is (I'm still expecting an EV Maverick).

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ

IMG_4644-EDIT (1).jpg

IMG_5198-EDIT.jpg

IMG_4492-EDIT.jpg
My experience in the desert southwest is pretty different from this. For Phoenix to San Diego, The SC in Gila Bend isn't open to us, the SC in Dateland looks like your pics, the SC in Yuma isn't open to us, the SC in El Centro was busy, and had people waiting. I was able to pull right in once, but a line developed after me. Saying it's not a big deal to take up multiple spaces is probably very location dependent.

Sponsored

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Well this image clearly isn’t the T3. Must be a refresh coming at some point.
Good sir, this has been confirmed by people working within Ford to be what is known as an attribution prototype. What that means is it's the current gen body but the platform underneath is next generation. Brands do this pretty often, testing the mechanical components of an upcoming product while either using a different shell entirely, or a heavily camouflaged design. It's quite common, and done so the team can test in the real world for years, while keeping the design secret for as long as possible.

The most interesting example of this was how the c8 mid-engine Chevy Corvette, the first prototype for that was a Holden truck with the engine in the bed. Just one fun example.

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Exactly, and if I remember correctly, some of those prototypes were having issues, and people were insulting Ford over it.
Sponsored